Very new to this…and in Germany!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Very new to this…and in Germany!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  heatherr30 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Griff
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 21

Hi all!

I’m new to this forum, but I am very grateful for the information I’ve found here thus far. I have a lot of questions, but I suppose some background would be helpful.

I’ve grown up with allergies and eczema, which has come and gone (and come again) over the years. However, since I moved to Germany in Summer 2009, both were largely under control. However, my outbreaks of oral herpes have gotten continuously worse. More recently (i.e., around August), my allergies came back with a vengeance. Then my lips went haywire: first, cold sores, later eczema and perioral dermatitis. I also had a recurrence of a few mollusca contagiosa on my thighs and buttocks. Basically, it seemed like everything was hitting me all at once. The doctors did allergy tests, but there were no surprises there, just the usual suspects: dust mites, ragweed, pollen, etc. My GP diagnosed me as slightly hypothyroid and put me on weekly iodine supplements. Then my dermatologist did a stool sample and diagnosed me with an overgrowth of candida albicans. I received a letter in the mail a week ago informing me of this, together with a few information sheets on the “Antipilzdiät” (anti-Candida diet). After doing some research, I found that Candida can manifest itself in various ways, and I realized that some of these symptoms I’ve had for years. For example, I’ve had stomach issues on and off for a while now. Last year I had a crazy red patch under my left arm. I thought it was eczema, but it stuck around for a few months before finally disappearing. Think it may have been candida. I’ve also suffered from yeast infections on and off over the years, and I can even remember having white spots on my tonsils in college that eventually fell off and left scars. Currently I am itching a lot, have a spot of ?eczema? between two of my fingers and a weird spot on my wrist. My lips are still bad as well, and there’s a hard, white spot on the back of my gum, where my wisdom tooth used to be.

My doctor has prescribed me “Mykundex” (100 tablets, 2×3), and I’m doing my best to adjust to the new diet. I quit smoking in September and coffee in October, and as of two days ago, I’m caffeine free. Going sugar-free isn’t too hard because my ex was diabetic, and I don’t eat many sweets anyway. What’s tough is that here in Germany, so much of the food either contains yeast or starch. I found a local baker who makes yeast-free “Dinkelbrötchen” (spelt bicuits) with whole grain flour. She has a similar bread, but it has wheat and rye in it, so I wasn’t sure. I can avoid pasta and rice, but potatoes and carrots are tough, and kale is a b**** to find here. 🙁

Anyways, I’m looking for tips on where to go from here. I’m already on meds, but should I at least try to detox with lemon-juice a few times/day? I get plenty of kefir and yogurt, and I’ve been rocking Brussels sprouts and sauerkraut with chicken or fish for dinner. Also lots of eggs. I’ve been told whole grain breads, esp those without yeast, are okay, like “Knäckebrot”.

I get 900mg of EPA (Omega capsules) every day, and I also take B-vitamins, Echinacea tablets, and Lysine. I plan to introduce Vit C supplements as well. (Anyone know if the Walgreens version of Emergen-C is sugar-free? I have some in the house.) Lately I’ve been taking Zincum Hevert N to help with the anxiety and depression. (Cf. http://www.hevert.de/_#Zincum_Hevert_N_Tabletten_EN)

Last but not least, I started taking the pill (Trigoa) again upon my arrival in Germany. That means I’ve been on it now for over 2 years. I’m on the last few pills of this pack, and I’m thinking about going off of it for Christmas to see if that helps. Do you advise this? Or might the hormonal changes make things worse?

I am open to any and all kinds of (sound) advice, but I’m interested to hear what folks here have to say. Thanks in advance!

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi Griff,
    welcome to the forum. If you want to fight your candida you have come to a very nice and friendly forum. Read everything you can and learn. If you have questions only write a post and we try to help you.

I read through your post and could see that there are several things you still do which are not beneficial fighting candida.

Its a good starter to read and study the welcome post from Able and Raster.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

If you start with the candida diet here on the forum then stick to the food allowed list only.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

About the Vitamins, Minerals:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1173_Vitamins-Minerals-Herbs.aspx

cheers
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Griff, and welcome to the forum.

Quote: “My outbreaks of oral herpes have gotten continuously worse.”

Reply: About 90% of all the herpes cases that are diagnosed are caused by a fungus rather than a virus. So there is definitely a herpes/Candida connection.

Quote: “My doctor has prescribed me Mykundex.

Reply: Mykundex is basically the same thing as Nystatin which is used in America to treat Candida. It’s actually just another antifungal which can bring some relief, but is not capable of bringing about a complete cure from a Candida albicans infestation.

Quote: “My GP diagnosed me as slightly hypothyroid”

Reply: Hypothyroid is a side effect of a fairly long-standing case of Candida infestation.

Quote: “I started taking the pill (Trigoa) again upon my arrival in Germany. That means I’ve been on it now for over 2 years. I’m on the last few pills of this pack, and I’m thinking about going off of it for Christmas to see if that helps. Do you advise this?”

Reply: That’s up to you, but research shows that the huge surge of hormones released from birth control pills normally contributes to the growth of Candida.

Thomas gave you two links to the pages you need to read if you’re going to follow the protocol on the forum which most of the members are using with varied success.

Able

winemom
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 45

Abe – so you said that a huge surge of hormones mat cause candida – so taking my bioidentical hormones might be triggering this for me. If I stop taking the hormone pills, will the candida not return if I can get to a level of no symptoms??

Able900
    Spectator

winemom wrote: Abe – so you said that a huge surge of hormones mat cause candida – so taking my bioidentical hormones might be triggering this for me. If I stop taking the hormone pills, will the candida not return if I can get to a level of no symptoms??

WM, I was speaking of the hormones obtained from birth control pills and not from HRT, hormone replacement therapy. These are two different types of hormones, and if you’re receiving HRT, then the reason should be because you are low in certain hormones which your body needs. The two therapies would not have the same effect.

Able

Griff

First, thanks for your reply!

Able900 wrote:
    Quote: “My outbreaks of oral herpes have gotten continuously worse.”

Reply: About 90% of all the herpes cases that are diagnosed are caused by a fungus rather than a virus. So there is definitely a herpes/Candida connection.

I am pretty sure it’s oral herpes because my first outbreak a few years ago was really bad – fever, achy body, etc. with sores around my mouth that made me look like the joker. This corresponds very closely to the descriptions of herpes outbreaks. I was also in a relationship with someone who gets occasional cold sores, so I simply concluded I had contracted HSV-1.

However, since starting the “Antipilzdiät”, my lips have become dry and cracked and sometimes peel. I also developed what I thought was a cold sore on my upper lip three days ago (yellow, crusty, following the progression of a normal cold sore), but today the crust fell off (yeah, gross) and the skin underneath looks nearly normal. Could this be a symptom of die-off, as opposed to a herpes breakout? (Either way, I’m not kissing my bf right now!)

I think I will try going off the pill for the holiday season and see what happens.

Also, I find the differences between your diet and the one prescribed to me by my German doctor very interesting. I will write a new post, and translate the “Antipilzdiät”, just so you can see what people are being prescribed over here. You might find it interesting to check out.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Griff. Thanks for the information.

Quote: Since starting the “Antipilzdiät”, my lips have become dry and cracked and sometimes peel. I also developed what I thought was a cold sore on my upper lip three days ago (yellow, crusty, following the progression of a normal cold sore), but today the crust fell off (yeah, gross) and the skin underneath looks nearly normal. Could this be a symptom of die-off, as opposed to a herpes breakout.

Reply: The crust falling off could be the state of your lips healing at that time. However, an outbreak could occur again, including the cold sore and any other problems can come back with a change of diet, because the infestation wasn’t actually healed. To do that, the entire environment of the digestive system, intestines and colon included, will have to be changed, and that generally takes a while to bring about. But that is definitely a good sign.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One idea to try with the chap lips is to use chapstick while in the shower. Then later your lips won’t be as chap. Just a simple idea to try, it may fail because you got it worse than I think.

If you can avoid potatoes until phase 2, this would be best. Also, if you want other ideas of foods to eat, we’d be happy to suggest some.

-Raster

Griff

I noticed both yesterday and this morning that the cracking and dryness corresponded to my eating either garlic cloves or coconut oil. This evening, however, I rubbed some of the latter on my lips – seems to be helping some! I also have a great lemon balm cream that is very gentle and eases the itching.

Griff

Update: So yesterday I rubbed a little of the cream I have for vaginal yeast infections on my lips before bed, just as an experiment. Not sure if that’s a good thing to do or not, but I saw a significant improvement overnight. So maybe my eczema/lip irritation isn’t just DUE to Candida, but IS actually a yeast problem?

Questions: a) Is there a way to get tested to see if my lip irritation is a yeast infection, and b) if it is, can I kiss my boyfriend, or is that a no-no?

Any help is appreciated.

heatherr30
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Hi I live in Germany too. Just wanted to say that kale is called “grunkohl” and is available in shredded form in the frozen foods section of nearly all supermarkets. It’s harder to find fresh, you may have to wait thru spring, but I have only found it fresh at the farmer’s market. They also have a “vitaminmix” that I really like (lots of dark leafy greens all mixed together).

As for birth control, have you heard of charting? It’s just as effective as the pill when done correctly, there is a free website that could get you started at fertilityfriend.com. A book that a lot of women read when starting to use this method is “Taking charge of your fertility” by Toni Weschler, which could be ordered to Germany. It may be a lot to get your head round at the moment with the other health issues but it’s far better on your body than taking hormones.

I’d be really interested to see your drs recommendations and find out what breads/ lunch meats etc are allowed. I also share the same problem as you, we rely on bakeries a lot esp when out during the day and I can’t imagine what to eat during the day other than bread rolls.

Griff

heatherr30 wrote: Hi I live in Germany too. Just wanted to say that kale is called “grunkohl” and is available in shredded form in the frozen foods section of nearly all supermarkets. It’s harder to find fresh, you may have to wait thru spring, but I have only found it fresh at the farmer’s market. They also have a “vitaminmix” that I really like (lots of dark leafy greens all mixed together).

I have a bag of the frozen Grünkohl in my freezer. 🙂 But I can’t seem to find it fresh, even at the Wochenmarkt. Haven’t seen the “VitaminMix”. Do you know which supermarket brand carries it?

As for birth control, have you heard of charting? It’s just as effective as the pill when done correctly, there is a free website that could get you started at fertilityfriend.com. A book that a lot of women read when starting to use this method is “Taking charge of your fertility” by Toni Weschler, which could be ordered to Germany. It may be a lot to get your head round at the moment with the other health issues but it’s far better on your body than taking hormones.

I’ve been off the pill before (2005-2009), so I have a diaphragm, and I know how to keep track of my cycles. However, the last time I went off the pill was when my stomach problems started, so I’m interested to see what happens this time around. Tomorrow’s the first day off!

I’d be really interested to see your drs recommendations and find out what breads/ lunch meats etc are allowed. I also share the same problem as you, we rely on bakeries a lot esp when out during the day and I can’t imagine what to eat during the day other than bread rolls.

I’m going to try to hit up my Hautärztin tomorrow, so we’ll see what she has to say. The sheet she sent me said Vollkornbrötchen are okay, but the only Brötchen I’ve been willing to consume thus far are Vollkorn-Dinkelbrötchen made without any Hefe, and I really only have one of these a day. At Kaufland the other day I found a Vollkornbrot mit Hafer und Weizenkeimen that’s made without yeast. My sheet also said “Knäckebrot” is okay (maybe with some homemade bean-and-hummus dip? is that allowed?). Now I know folks here tend to lean in the direction of NO grains, at least not wheat or rye, so this is one discrepancy between the sheet my doc gave me and the version endorsed here. I hope to find out more tomorrow. Good luck to you, and if you have any more advice, please let me know.

heatherr30
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Then the fresh grunkohl must only be available in the spring then. The vitamin mix is at our local farmers market in Duesseldorf.
    I think i am going to drink kefir or buttermilk if I need to eat something while I am out. The knackebrot also sound promising. And if I need to have a meal out I am just going to do teh best I can, but not starve myself! Good luck to you, I hope you get your health problems sorted out soon. not fun to go thru in a foreign country.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Very new to this…and in Germany!’ is closed to new replies.