Vegetables that are really fruits (bell peppers)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Vegetables that are really fruits (bell peppers)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Last Legs 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Last Legs
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 22

I had some sugar-withdrawal dreams the other night. Usually, they involve my consuming ice cream or soda, but last night it was a green bell pepper. Bell peppers are on most candida safe-to-eat lists, but I’ve discovered they’re technically a fruit.

Other fruits that get mistaken for vegetables:

Avocado
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Okra
    Olive
    Pumpkin
    Squash
    Tomato
    Zucchini

I wonder what Raster and Able900 would have to say about this.

RedSky
    Participant
    Replies: 23

As far as I’m aware avocado and olives are on the safe food lists, as fruit along with lemons and limes, at least the website version, might be under veg on Rasta’s. Tomatoes are a maybe, cause a reaction for some people. I have 2 or 3 baby/plum tomatoes or 1 actual tomato every few days as a treat… Don’t actually like them but it’s nice to have something different and my other half like them so have them in.
    I’ve never thought of cucumber or any of the others as fruit.
    I think though bell peppers are similar to tomatoes and a bit of a hit and miss for some. I’ve been eating them on and off. Might need to cut them out as my symptoms aren’t improving, but I LOVE peppers.

Pumpkin and squash is a no-go anyway aren’t they, at least for phase 1. Too high in carbs I would have thought.

Last Legs
    Participant

RedSky, thanks for the reply. I hope your symptoms improve.

Top 15 Vegetables Highest in Sugar:
    https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/high-sugar-vegetables.php

RedSky
    Participant
    Replies: 23

That’s a handy list to have. Thanks for sharing.
    I’m surprised at onions, they are on both the site’s and Rasta’s safe food lists.

Last Legs
    Participant

You noticed that onions have relatively high sugar content for a vegetable. Despite this, they are supposedly good for those with systemic yeast problems.

A quote about it:

“Onions contain a nutrient called allicin, which slows down the growth of candida and kills off bad bacteria found in the body. There are numerous studies that explore the benefits of allicin. In 1999, a review by Ankri and Mirelman cited evidence of anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasite, and anti-viral activity in the nutrient.”

This reminds me of radishes, a root vegetable. Many people say we should avoid all root vegetables, at least during the earliest stages of our recovery. But radishes are a common exception, as they are reputed to have anti-fungal properties.

I really like this website. It’s easy to explore (something to be praised when we’re in a brain-fog), and it’s been around a long time. Somebody here should collect the dietary recommendations from at least a hundred lists and make a RottenTomatoes.com-type poll indicating what percentage said a food was healthy for us to eat. For example, broccoli would probably have a 100% approval rating.

I hope everyone reading this has better days ahead of them.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Vegetables that are really fruits (bell peppers)’ is closed to new replies.