Vegan with candida? Please help

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Vegan with candida? Please help

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Banshee 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kei
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

For the past year or more I have dealt with debilitating symptoms. Terrible cystic acne, bloating that makes me look pregnant, extreme brain fog, fatigue, and digestion issues.
    I’ve dealt with many different health issues in the past few years, so it’s been extremely confusing and difficult to find the cause of my symptoms.

A few months ago I was told by my doctor that I had extremely low levels of vitamin D, because my body couldn’t properly absorb it, so I assumed that had been the cause of my symptoms. However, after months of taking vitamin D and still having symptoms, I assumed I had depression, and was prescribed an anti depressant, Zoloft. Can’t say if that’s helping yet, because I haven’t been on it long.
    But a few days ago I found out about candida, and it fits my symptoms perfectly. Bloating, brain fog, white tongue, fatigue, etc. I’m almost certain I have candida because I took antibiotics a few years ago for an eye infection, and apparently antibiotics can cause candida. I also went vegan 3 years ago, and was healthy, but a year ago I adopted a high fruit, high sugar, low fat diet, because I heard it was healthy. I was on it for a few months, then stopped because I wasn’t feeling well. I figure that also could have caused candida because of the high sugar.

(A year ago I also dealt with an eating disorder and was extremely underweight. I recovered and am a healthy weight now but I don’t know if it could somehow be connected)

However I tried the candida diet today and I have no idea what to eat. As I’m vegan, I don’t eat meat, eggs, or dairy, so the only foods I’m left with on the candida diet is avacado, nuts, seeds, tofu, and vegetables. I’m used to eating lots of starches, grains, and fruits, so it’s extremely difficult for me to eliminate those foods from my diet. On my first day I caved in and ate an apple, sweet potato, and rice at the end of the day and experienced extreme symptoms.
    I don’t think I’m getting enough calories though, because all the food I’m eating is so filling that I can’t eat much of it.

Sorry for all the text, but I’m so lost! Does anyone have any advice for a vegan with candida?

kei
    Participant

Also I bought powdered probiotics and have been taking them for a few days

Wiley200
    Participant
    Replies: 386

There is some evidence that low vitamin D levels can reduce the body’s ability to fight off fungal infections:
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitamin-d-and-yeast-infections-is-there-a-relationship/

The best way to get vitamin D is obviously by spending more time in the sun. Sun lamps (for Seasonal Affective Disorder) are also a good option. And of course you can supplement as you are doing.

It seems like sorting out your Vit D deficiency would be a good first step. Have you tested your levels again since you started supplementing? If you are still suffering from low mood and other symptoms, perhaps your levels are still too low and you need a larger dose?

kei
    Participant

I was on 50,000 IUs of vitamin D a week because my levels were extremely low. I took them weekly for a couple months, and slowly lowered my dose. I haven’t gotten my levels checked again yet.

Should I not start the Candida diet until I get my levels checked?

Wiley200
    Participant
    Replies: 386

The Candida diet is a healthy diet so there’s really no harm to start it sooner than later. But I would get your vit D levels checked too.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You need to get creative with the diet and make a bunch of foods from scratch and bake a lot of food. Tofu shouldn’t be consumed on the diet. In general I would consider continuing your vegan diet and not restricting it too much, just get rid of major grains and mold related foods.

For instance, get a nutribullet and start making kale smoothies or start making fancy salads with special vegetable slicers, etc.

Nele
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Hi there!

I know it’s quite late already and maybe you’ve got help, but I’ve been on vegan Candida diet since August 2016. I have reversed my Candida overgrowth and write about my research and experience here https://www.nutriplanet.org/2017/07/living-candida-free/

All the best!
    Nele

Banshee
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 40

I’ve personally had no issues with tofu at any stage of the diet. Both that and tempeh were very agreeable for me.

That said, I highly recommend getting tested to confirm it’s candida you’re dealing with. I’m in recovery for anorexia myself and all the restrictions can be very triggering.

Nele’s website is great, as is Ricki Heller’s. Both have lots of recipes and advice for vegans. I personally did not do well as a vegan on the diet (rapid weight loss and fatigue were my biggest problems). Because of that, I did add some animal protein back into my diet, but everyone is different. I only mention the last because I felt guilty about it initially but it really did make a difference. I don’t know that I could have gotten my health back otherwise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Vegan with candida? Please help’ is closed to new replies.