Vanilla

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  theresa49638 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

theresa49638
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 27

Can I have vanilla? I got Greek yogurt and hate the taste can I add vanilla to it?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

theresa49638 wrote: Can I have vanilla? I got Greek yogurt and hate the taste can I add vanilla to it?

Sounds like a great idea to liven up the yogurt, Theresa (a little of Stevia or Truvia wouldn’t hurt either).

I’ve not seen a vanilla extract that didn’t contain alcohol, so we use real vanilla beans called Madagascar Vanilla Beans by McCormick. A typical bean is about eight inches long, and there are different reports as far as how much of a bean equals one teaspoon. Anywhere from 1 inch to the entire bean is reported. I generally use the entire vanilla bean for one teaspoon of vanilla flavoring, but then I like a lot of flavoring if it’s vanilla. If you’ve never used a vanilla bean, just slice off the amount off that you wish to use; then use a small sharp knife to slice the bean down the side. Open it up and scrape the seeds out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cuVFnEszDc&feature=related

Able

theresa49638

OK Thank You, I have Madagascar now but has Bourbon, so I will get a vanilla bean. Yes I am very familiar with the beans, thanks for details. My husband and I love cooking and I am huge baker, probably why I have this. We Just rebuilt our kitchen and have a baking station and now cant use. 🙁 Some day in moderation.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Theresa! What about a shake of cinnamon & a little stevia? I personnally like the sharp natural taste but last night craved something sweet so that was the only option I could think of!

So you’re a baker?! I love cooking but I’m certainly not a baker… but have mastered a simple buckwheat bread recipe and bake a batch twice a week. Please let us know if you invent any new and interesting candida friendly recipes? I’d love a sweet one… don’t usually need sweet things but recently have a few cravings!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Get organic stevia that contains no other ingredients other than stevia. You can have it as much as you want; the only negative consequence is that it causes a mucuous reaction because its so sweet. Mucous production can coat the candida, making it hard to kill. However, me and Able have had it throughout our diets with no noticeable consequences. A sprinkle of cinnamon won’t set you back too much I believe, just don’t overdo it.

-Raster

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

The thought of having something tasty like vanilla is really appealing however being quite naive in using some ingrediants would I be right in thinking that once you have taken the seeds from the pod it is just a case of mixing them in the dish you are preparing or is there some other preparation needed, in addition having found a web site in the UK where vanilla pods and grounded powder is sold all the pictures show a black product is this correct?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Yes, here’s a link to a pic that shows the seeds and the pod:

http://www.copykat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cut-open-vanilla-bean.jpg

1 inch of pod = 1 tablespoon/teaspoon of vanilla. Its quite strong tasting!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

jamesb wrote: The thought of having something tasty like vanilla is really appealing however being quite naive in using some ingrediants would I be right in thinking that once you have taken the seeds from the pod it is just a case of mixing them in the dish you are preparing or is there some other preparation needed, in addition having found a web site in the UK where vanilla pods and grounded powder is sold all the pictures show a black product is this correct?

James, we have vanilla ice cream in the states which contain tiny little black specks; these are the vanilla beans which were removed from the pods. You’ll definitely need to add a bit of Stevia or Truvia to your recipe in order to counteract the ‘oomph’ of the vanilla beans (of course this depends on how much of the vanilla you use).

Able

theresa49638

I try the pods and taste great,I did had some stevia.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vanilla’ is closed to new replies.