UPDATE: My Current Plan: Advice Welcome

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions UPDATE: My Current Plan: Advice Welcome

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  M 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Hello to All,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now and have posted intermittently since then. I’ve been suffering from a yeast infection for almost a year, along with balanitis and oral thrush. The very first symptoms I experienced were nausea, dizziness, constipation, brain fog, an itchy rash and strong indigestion (first time in my life). Not long after I noticed a blotchy red rash on my genitals. When I first went to the doctor I had an STD check-up which came back negative (even Candida Albicans).
    Upon inspection he told me that I had a yeast infection and prescribed a topical cream and Fluconazole. The meds helped ease up the symptoms but they didn’t clear up and eventually came back. A second trip to the doctor resulted in another prescription for Fluconazole but with the same results.
    I then went to see two other doctors, but the end result remained the same. Not once did any of these doctors recommend I start a special diet/avoid certain foods, so during that time I was still consuming my regular diet more or less. Only after I did some of my own research did I realize it was best to try and avoid certain foods etc.
    I’m of the opinion that I got this infection through my ex-girlfriend. I’ve never had major health problems in my life, I don’t smoke, drink only socially and not a lot, and normally exercise on a regular basis. I have been prescribed antibiotics in the past which may have contributed to my current condition by destroying good flora in my gut.
    Over the past year I’ve had many different symptoms, all consistent with a yeast/candida infection, and have started feeling a little better since I started the diet. In particular my itchy rash has almost disappeared. Whenever I eat food that I shouldn’t then the symptoms reappear.
    I’ve now been on the diet just over a month (though I skipped the detox), and I am also taking probiotics and antifungals on a daily basis. I feel a little better than usual though haven’t experienced much in the way of die-off. I sometimes get a little headache, sinus pain, slight nausea, lots of burping (even when I drink water) and some flatulance, and some indigestion, though not as strong as before. I go to the bathroom more regularly now, though have put this down to eating more fiber. Here is my current diet plan. I would appreciate any feedback you could give me. Is there something I should/shouldn’t be doing or taking? Please let me know.

Breakfast:
    Lemon water
    Two small pots of natural, plain yoghurt with a little organic stevia. Slice of coconut/almond or buckwheat bread with flaxseed meal.
    Sometimes buckwheat hot cereal with a little stevia.
    Occasionally an egg or two.
    One 30 billion probiotic pill.
    Two Candida Clear pills (No longer taking these).
    One Solaray Caprylic Acid capsule (2,163mg)
    One Nature’s Way Garlicin tab (2800mcg allicin)
    10-15 drops of Nutribiotic Organic Graprefruit Seed Extract Liquid Concentrate (c.1000mg GSE) or organic oil of oregano drops with 80% carvacrol

Lunch:
    Green salad with extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Sometimes with a few tomatoes or bell pepper slices; or
    an omelette with onions, garlic, zucchini and sea salt.
    One Caprylic Acid cap (2,163mg)

Dinner:
    An omelette (see above); or
    Organic chicken with veggies, panfried or baked in the oven; or
    a green salad (see above).
    Sometimes include a little quinoa. No longer use brown rice because it gave me a reaction (burning, dry, sore lips).
    A slice or two of coconut or buckwheat bread.
    Organic peppermint tea.
    One 30 billion probiotic pill (an hour or two after dinner)
    One Caprylic Acid cap (2,163mg)
    One Garlicin tab (2800mcg)
    and before bed, another 10-15 drops of GSE (1000mg)

I use coconut oil for cooking, and I also drink between 2-3 liters of bottled water every day. Is this enough?

For the most part, I’ve stuck to the diet much better than I expected. Earlier attempts lasted only a week or so before I caved in. I’ve sometimes had a little nut butter in the past, but not a significant amount. I still haven’t experienced any severe die-off reaction though, apart from what I mentioned. How long does it normally take to start feeling the effects? Granted I’ve been suffering from this for quite some time now, and not just a few weeks. Therefore, my body may need more time to adjust and fight off the candida.
    Furthermore, if anyone can recommend any other particular brands of anti-fungal that may be beneficial for me then please feel free to do so.

Thanks for reading this long post, and I look forward to your replies.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Breakfast:
    One 30 billion probiotic pill…

One 30 billion probiotic pill (an hour or two after dinner)

You should take your probiotic early in the morning on an empty stomach at least an hour before breakfast and the other close to bedtime, again on an empty stomach at least two full hours after eating.

and before bed, another 10-15 drops of GSE (1000mg)

Since you need to take one of the probiotic capsules close to bedtime, I would take the GSE sometime earlier in the evening or afternoon. The GSE has the potential of destroying the beneficial bacteria from the probiotic if they end up in the system around the same time.

Otherwise, everything looks good.
    Able

M

Thanks for your reply Able. I usually take the pills/tabs around the same time. So, I guess I need to take them separately, particularly the probiotic and the anti-fungals. Regarding other vitamins, what exactly should I be taking? I recently ordered some vitamin C veggie-caps. What other vitamins/brands do you recommend?

On a separate note, is organic whey protein allowed on the diet?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Whey is not allowed on the diet.

You can take whatever vitamins you wish, but I feel that trace minerals are important for the diet because candida taxes the body of these minerals to get healthier. Examples include zinc, magnesium, calcium, etc.

My favorite vitamin brands are:

Solgar
    Standard process
    Thorne Research
    Nature’s way

These typically don’t have “junk” filler ingredients.

-Raster

M

Thanks Raster. I’ll try have a look online and see what I can find.

raster
    Participant

Also, I would check to see how many grams of sugar per serving is found in your yogurt. If its over 15 grams per serving, I would switch to greek yogurt which has a much lower sugar count.

I would also consider getting some SF722 undecenoic acid by thorne research. This is a very effective and long term antifungal that candida cannot adapt to easily.

I would also try to start eating more food. Try your best to eat 3-4 course meals plus some snacks and this could really turbocharge your recovery.

You might want to try out kefir also, and it should be sold at your local health food stores. I add some to my yogurt in my morning and it contains a lot of probiotics. You can also make it at home pretty easily…and drink it straight.

I would look at trying black or red rice to see if you get a reaction. You may not because you likely never had had it during your lifetime, so your body won’t recognize it. If you do, save it for phase 2. I would rotate eating buckwheat/quinoa/black or red rice so that your body doesn’t get used to any of these foods. I highly recommend chicken or lamb sausage as well if you are not vegetarian.

-Raster

M

Thank you.

M

I found SF722 by thorne research on iHerb. What time of day, and how many should I take on a daily basis?

The yoghurt I eat is plain and natural, and as far as I’m aware (and can taste) contains no sugar. I’ve been eating this for some time now and haven’t experienced any problems. In fact, I add a little stevia to it to give it some taste/sweeten it.

As far the kefir goes, I’ve just recently ordered some yogourmet kefir and will try making some when it arrives. Hopefully it will come out well and taste good enough: http://www.iherb.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Dried-Kefir-Starter-1-oz/12071?at=0

raster
    Participant

There are natural sugars found in all yogurts; dairy = sugar. Check the label on the back to determine grams of sugar per serving.

I take 2 capsules of SF722 per meal; however, I would consider starting out at 2 per day at first and work your way up to 6 per day.

-Raster

M

I checked out the yoghurt, and it contains 5g, so nothing too extreme.

I also made kefir these past two days, with organic milk. It tastes OK overall, not sweet at all. It’s supposed to contain “friendly” bacteria and yeasts, so time will tell whether it helps or not.

Plan to order SF722 soon.

On a separate note, is it OK to take all antifungals at the same time, or should they staggered? E.g. Garlic tab, then 30mins later caprylic acid tab, then 30mins later oil of oregano etc…?

Thanks.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

M wrote: On a separate note, is it OK to take all antifungals at the same time, or should they staggered? E.g. Garlic tab, then 30mins later caprylic acid tab, then 30mins later oil of oregano etc…?

Hello, M.

If you’re just taking one dose a day of each antifungal, then you can take one after each meal. If you’re taking more than one dose a day, take a dose of the one antifungal after each meal.
    In other words, yes you can take them close together unless – you’re only taking one dose of each at which point you can take each after a separate meal. Make sense?

Able

M

@Able,

Yes, I think I understand what you mean. I just figured that since all antifungals are basically doing the same thing, that taking them together shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks.

M

Here’s an update: I’ve been on the diet for three months, as of today. At times it’s been hard, but overall I feel like I’ve done fairly well. Most of my symptoms are slowly starting to clear up, particularly the itchy rash and indigestion, although I am by no means cured and will need to stick to the diet for at least another 4-5 months, if not longer. This summer (July) I’m hoping to go home for a few weeks and will then assess my state of being and decide whether I feel ready to reintroduce one or two items that I am currently unable to eat.

Here’s a list of the antifungals I am currently taking:

*Garlic tabs
    *Caprylic acid caps
    *SF722 caps
    *Organic coconut oil
    *Oil of oregano
    *Grapefruit seed extract
    *Vitamin C cap x 2

I plan to introduce Biotin, Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, and Vitamins A & D within the next month.

I am currently taking a 35 billion count 10-strain Dr. Mercola probiotic with Lactobacillus DDS-1, twice a day (total 70 billion CFU). I take molybdenum once a day too.

I eat a number of different veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, garlic, onions, lotus root, zucchini, hot pepper, cabbage, green salad; organic eggs, and organic chicken (once or twice a week); and a number of herbs and spices that are on the allowed foods list. I also eat coconut/teff/buckwheat/millet bread, oatbran, occasionally quinoa or buckwheat/millet groats, roasted almond butter (though I plan to stop after I finish the current jar), almond milk/coconut milk, yoghurt kefir with organic milk, ghee once in a while, organic tahini, stevia with inulin, and flaxseed meal.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is there anything else I could/should be doing?

Thank you.

M

Bumping for any feedback.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

Wow, you seem to be doing an awesome job. Better then me thats for sure. Nice! Keep it up.

But man 3 months, that is a really long time, I would expect you to feel awesome. Are you not noticing major health benefits?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘UPDATE: My Current Plan: Advice Welcome’ is closed to new replies.