unresponsive red burning vulva! could this be intracellular yeast? help!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions unresponsive red burning vulva! could this be intracellular yeast? help!

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JamesMc 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #120611

    kelseyanne
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

    Red burning itching and swollen vulva… first tried canesten creams, then canesten suppoitories, then 2 doses of diflucan (2 days apart), with no improvement. Finally a Dr took swabs, which came back negative. It feelt so much like yeast (i have a history of not so stubborn yeast infections as well as 1 thrush incedient last year) that i investigated more yeast meds and found a prescription for flagynystatin suppositories, which immediately cleared the infection. 10 days later it returned!! Same treatment was repeated but ineffective. Cultured again with neg results.

    The dermatologiest recommended clobetasol for the inflammation but this made the infection spread slightly:(

    No dr will do a biopsy. I am convinced i have an intracellular yeast infection. My gyno and dermatologist seem satisfied with giving me a diagnosis of vulvodynia and a gabapentin prescription. I am so uncomfortable with the red stinging burning itching for 3 months now, not ready to give up. Its been 3 months and the lidocaine cream barely does anything for the sting. How do i proceed getting my diagnosis? Ive brought up intracellular yeast but the drs brush it off. Do i request a skin scraping? Colposcopy?A presciption for a month of daily diflucan (they say if the original two doses didnt help then it cant be yeast)? Should i try somethong else, as the yeast may be resistant to diflucan now? Please please help! These canadian drs are nice but seem to know nothing about intracellular yeast!

    #120612

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    If you want diagnosis for CRC (candida related complex) I would take the candia5 test which is relatively cheap. Another way to get diagnosis is to go to an allergist and they can test to see whether you are allergic to candida. If you are allergic to candida, this means your body is not fighting it properly.

    A GI doctor can do a variety of stool tests and these are sometimes inconclusive.

    Another forum member here has the same women problems and has bacterial vaginosis (probably mispell).

    Do you have any food allergies? Do you have any digestive disorders such as constipation (defined as less than 2-3 bm’s per day)? Have you ever taken antibiotics or birth control? Do you have rectal itching or oral thrush?

    -raster

    #120618

    Paperstars
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

    Yeah I definitely feel you regarding the Canadian doctors, as I’m from Canada as well. One of my doctors thought I was pretty much crazy when I told him I developed food intolerances, including gluten intolerance post-antibiotic treatment and none of the antibiotics they prescribed helped get rid of my folliculitis. He just felt the food intolerances were completely unrelated to antibiotic treatment because lots of people do fine on antibiotics. I still have follicultis though I found a way to keep it under control. Oh and just like you, all the doctors and dermatologists I saw refused to do a culture because they said it would be a contaminated specimen.

    I too would like a diagnosis, not just for Candida but to rule out other possibilities like parasites or bacterial infection but the gluten intolerance is what really makes me think Candida is at least, one of my problems. I am considering consulting a naturopath to at least get a hold of a CDSA from Doctors Data to rule out other cases. I’m considering the Candia5 test, but there doesn’t seem to be many reviews, so I’m not sure how accurate the results are. I may call Genova to see if they can recommend someone in Canada, because I’d really like to get the Candida Immune Complex test. I have yet to find an allergist in Canada who tests for Candida. My last allergist didn’t even believe that I had food intolerances since I tested negative for food allergies. Ideally though, I’d want a MD to prescribe antifungals since I’m intolerant to a lot of the natural antifungals.

    My family doctor actually did have a patient who was cured by a naturopath when his own attempts failed to cure the patient. Supposedly he gave him a book on the ‘Yeast Syndrome.’ Despite this, he dismisses Candida/Yeast Syndrome. I even asked if he would be willing to consult Crandall (if needed) but still refusal. I think the misinformation on this syndrome, including people who falsely believe Candida is the root cause of every symptom is partially to blame for mainstream doctors to be reluctant to accept.

    #120627

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    Zoltan P. Rona, M.D., M.Sc.
    8188 Yonge St.
    Suite 101
    Thornhill, ON
    L4J 1W5
    Tel.: 905-764-8700

    This is the Dr you may try to see in Canada. He wrote this book :

    Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook, Revised 2nd Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet Paperback – October 12, 2000, Zoltan P. Rona M.D. (Author)

    Jorge

    #120630

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    kelseyanne;59132 wrote: Red burning itching and swollen vulva… first tried canesten creams, then canesten suppoitories, then 2 doses of diflucan (2 days apart), with no improvement. Finally a Dr took swabs, which came back negative. It feelt so much like yeast (i have a history of not so stubborn yeast infections as well as 1 thrush incedient last year) that i investigated more yeast meds and found a prescription for flagynystatin suppositories, which immediately cleared the infection. 10 days later it returned!! Same treatment was repeated but ineffective. Cultured again with neg results.

    The dermatologiest recommended clobetasol for the inflammation but this made the infection spread slightly:(

    No dr will do a biopsy. I am convinced i have an intracellular yeast infection. My gyno and dermatologist seem satisfied with giving me a diagnosis of vulvodynia and a gabapentin prescription. I am so uncomfortable with the red stinging burning itching for 3 months now, not ready to give up. Its been 3 months and the lidocaine cream barely does anything for the sting. How do i proceed getting my diagnosis? Ive brought up intracellular yeast but the drs brush it off. Do i request a skin scraping? Colposcopy?A presciption for a month of daily diflucan (they say if the original two doses didnt help then it cant be yeast)? Should i try somethong else, as the yeast may be resistant to diflucan now? Please please help! These canadian drs are nice but seem to know nothing about intracellular yeast!

    You can not give up. It can be cured. There are candida species intrinsically resistant to Diflucan. When you take a systemic antifungal drug and you feel intense burning on the infected area, that is a good signal. Yeast die-off causes it. To cure an intracellular candidiasis you need a long term adequate treatment. Forget about 30 days of Fluconazole. There are reasons for the long term therapy I can not explain now. You may need to change the drug or combine it with another synergistic. You need to apply an effective topical antifungal able to penetrate the skin. Remember, the yeast is inside the cells. It is protected there.

    I am not a MD and can not prescribe you or order any treatment. Keep battling until you find a Dr who listen to you. You need to tell your Dr swaps are negative because the yeast are inside the cells, deep in the tissues. It is necessary an scrap and to look the sample using a microscope.

    Jorge

    #120644

    kelseyanne
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

    Thank you Jorge! Only dr ive found that believes me is my natraupath, but she knows very little about intracellular yeast. She wants to prescribe a yeat cleanse with natural antifungals but FIRST she is testing my IgA IgG IgM levels. My fears are that my test results will come back normal (can this happen with intracellular vaginal yeast?) And/or that natural antifungals wont be enough. Ive already tried short term doses of diflucan, topical nystatin, topical monistat. Only success was nystatin, but the infection returned shortly. Theres not much more available in canada.

    Jorge in another similar discussion on this site you mentioned that youve helped over 40 women identify and treat intracellular yeast. What treatments helped them??

    My dermatologist wont believe me,he says my vulvar redness is “within normal range” and him and my gyno say i have vulvodynia and leave it at that. Topical lydocaine (which has almost no effect) ice, physical therapy, gabapentin, and COUNSELLING is their advice. But my skin is so raw and itchy, feels just like yeast. I will see if my nataurpath will consult that dr.

    Please tell me what yeast treatments have helped other women with intracellular vaginal yeast. Thank you jorge! News from you gives me a blink of hope that this suffering may not be permenant.

    #120647

    Danny33
    Member
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

    kelseyanne;59165 wrote: Thank you Jorge! Only dr ive found that believes me is my natraupath, but she knows very little about intracellular yeast. She wants to prescribe a yeat cleanse with natural antifungals but FIRST she is testing my IgA IgG IgM levels. My fears are that my test results will come back normal (can this happen with intracellular vaginal yeast?) And/or that natural antifungals wont be enough. Ive already tried short term doses of diflucan, topical nystatin, topical monistat. Only success was nystatin, but the infection returned shortly. Theres not much more available in canada.

    Jorge in another similar discussion on this site you mentioned that youve helped over 40 women identify and treat intracellular yeast. What treatments helped them??

    My dermatologist wont believe me,he says my vulvar redness is “within normal range” and him and my gyno say i have vulvodynia and leave it at that. Topical lydocaine (which has almost no effect) ice, physical therapy, gabapentin, and COUNSELLING is their advice. But my skin is so raw and itchy, feels just like yeast. I will see if my nataurpath will consult that dr.

    Please tell me what yeast treatments have helped other women with intracellular vaginal yeast. Thank you jorge! News from you gives me a blink of hope that this suffering may not be permenant.

    Kelsey,

    I don’t think topical treatments will bring much relief to your vaginal infections when there is likely significant colonization in your colon/large intestine.

    Have you taken Nystatin orally or rectally?

    Also,
    I also did the IgA/G/M in the past and the results were totally normal, was a waste of time.
    It’s not a conclusive test.

    -D

    #120651

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    kelseyanne;59165 wrote: Thank you Jorge! Only dr ive found that believes me is my natraupath, but she knows very little about intracellular yeast. She wants to prescribe a yeat cleanse with natural antifungals but FIRST she is testing my IgA IgG IgM levels. My fears are that my test results will come back normal (can this happen with intracellular vaginal yeast?) And/or that natural antifungals wont be enough. Ive already tried short term doses of diflucan, topical nystatin, topical monistat. Only success was nystatin, but the infection returned shortly. Theres not much more available in canada.

    Jorge in another similar discussion on this site you mentioned that youve helped over 40 women identify and treat intracellular yeast. What treatments helped them??

    My dermatologist wont believe me,he says my vulvar redness is “within normal range” and him and my gyno say i have vulvodynia and leave it at that. Topical lydocaine (which has almost no effect) ice, physical therapy, gabapentin, and COUNSELLING is their advice. But my skin is so raw and itchy, feels just like yeast. I will see if my nataurpath will consult that dr.

    Please tell me what yeast treatments have helped other women with intracellular vaginal yeast. Thank you jorge! News from you gives me a blink of hope that this suffering may not be permenant.

    IGG, IGA, and IGM are almost not involved during a mucosal candidiasis. The immune response to an intracellular pathogen is cell-mediated. I don’t know what your Dr is looking for testing for a humoral immune response ? The test will be negative because your infection doesn’t wake up antibodies.
    Yes, there are treatments to treat an intracellular yeast infection. I know about women who has needed 6 or more months of Fluconazole 200 mg a day to resolve it. Some women need Itraconazole, Ketoconazole, a combination using an azole with Lamisil, etc. The infection may be a non-albican species such as Candida Glabrata or Candida Tropicalis. An scrap will help to identify what species is there and to select an effective systemic drug. I had it on my penis glans. It was very hard to cure. I got better using a combination of Fluconazole and Lamisil for 3 months but wasn’t 100% cured. Later, I used 400 mg of Ketoconazole a day for 2 months and this was even more effective. I still have some redness but the burning and inflammation went away totally. The redness is minimum too. Apply antifungal creams during the oral therapy too. You should consider the possibility of an intestinal reservoir that be affecting your immunity. I can not do more. You need a Dr that watches your liver during the treatment and a proper treatment.

    Good Luck,

    Jorge.

    #120665

    kelseyanne
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

    Danny 33 please tell me a bit more about your story. Did you have intracellular yeast on your skin? Intestinal colony? How did you get a diagnosis and how did you treat it? I only took nystatin topically and it cured the problem then my symptoms returned as soon as the 10 day course ended. Second time around of topical nystatin didnt work. I have no rectal skin irritation, but i do have a sore tummy and bowel issues. Drs seem to dismiss this as stress due to my “vulvadynia” that they seem to think is ” mysteriously overactive nerves.” But i jist know this is my familiar enemy yeast. My raw itchy skin started suddnly like yeast for no apparent reason.

    I did have a skin scraping done about a month ago, but it came back negative. Possibly because it was taken on the outer edge of the affected areas, and the lab wasnt specifically looking for intracellular yeast.

    Id like to treat myself long term for yeast but i need the help of a dr for that, and i probably need a positive skin scraping. Im so scared the next scraping will come back negative:(

    #120666

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    kelseyanne;59186 wrote: Danny 33 please tell me a bit more about your story. Did you have intracellular yeast on your skin? Intestinal colony? How did you get a diagnosis and how did you treat it? I only took nystatin topically and it cured the problem then my symptoms returned as soon as the 10 day course ended. Second time around of topical nystatin didnt work. I have no rectal skin irritation, but i do have a sore tummy and bowel issues. Drs seem to dismiss this as stress due to my “vulvadynia” that they seem to think is ” mysteriously overactive nerves.” But i jist know this is my familiar enemy yeast. My raw itchy skin started suddnly like yeast for no apparent reason.

    I did have a skin scraping done about a month ago, but it came back negative. Possibly because it was taken on the outer edge of the affected areas, and the lab wasnt specifically looking for intracellular yeast.

    Id like to treat myself long term for yeast but i need the help of a dr for that, and i probably need a positive skin scraping. Im so scared the next scraping will come back negative:(

    You need a Dr that checks your liver enzymes during your treatment. Every month.! Your vulvadynia is your intracellular candidiasis. There are hundreds of women living with this condition because most Drs are unaware of the cause.
    I don’t think Danny has any intracellular candidiasis case. He is alerting you about a possible intestinal reservoir. There are links between yeast in the intestines and persistent or recurrent vaginal candidiasis. However, an intracellular infection needs an effective systemic drug or combination of them to be cured no matter if you target your intestines with a non-systemic antifungal. Targeting the intestines will eliminate an immune suppression focus. An intestinal overgrowth affects cell mediated immunity. After some immune restoration or balance, your immune system will be able to assist better the systemic antifungal to target other infectious focus such as your vulvar infection.

    Hope this help you to understand. Anyway, you have only one way that is a proper treatment. The length of the treatment is because most oral systemic antifungals are fungistatic. If they were fungicidal, you probably need 15 days or less like most antibiotics. Unfortunately, antifungal drugs are very limited and most of the fungicidal are IV versions.

    Jorge

    #120667

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    See this study :
    Recurrent vaginal candidiasis. Importance of an intestinal reservoir.
    Miles MR, Olsen L, Rogers A.
    Abstract
    To test the hypothesis that all cases of vaginal candidiasis are associated with a “reservoir” of this organism in the bowel, paired specimens of feces and vaginal material were cultured for Candida albicans simultaneously. Ninety-eight young women who complained of recurrent vaginitis were selected in sequence. The results showed that if C albicans was cultured from the vagina, it was always found in the stool. Conversely, if it was not isolated from the stool, it was never found in the vagina. These data are presented as an explanation for the recurrent nature of Candida vaginitis, and thus a cure of vaginitis would not be possible without prior eradication of C albicans from the gut. The gut-reservoir concept may well apply to other forms of candidiasis.
    PMID: 333134 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

    It doesn’t mean you don’t need a systemic antifungal. Even eliminating yeast in the intestines, you will need it. Yeast are already inside your cells.

    Jorge

    #120668

    Paperstars
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

    Thank you Jorge for the doctor recommendation. I will check him out! Unfortunately Boulardii seemed to be ineffective for me.

    #169430

    Mike7182
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

    Hello Kelseyanne,

    I am wondering if you have had any luck treating your intracellular yeast causing the burning. I am male however I believe I am also suffering from an intracellular yeast infection on my genitals. I have received Dr. Crandall’s packet and plan to go through it as well as contact her but it is always nice hearing others experiences as well. I am hoping to determine which strand of yeast is affecting me so I can pick the best anti fungal for that type of yeast. Any info would be great to hear. Thanks

    #169434

    JamesMc
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 15

    Hi Mike7182,
    Before you decide on treatment I have a very important piece of information for you. I too have read Dr. Crandall’s packet and consulted with her. I have suffered with “candida” my entire life 32 years. However, I am not completely sold on the intracellular yeast theory. It may be there, but after watching so many people try to kill intracellular yeast for years with drugs and diet only to have it return as soon as they stop treatment has led me down another path. I greatly benefit from nystatin and diflucan, and diet, but it has not cured me. Why? Because the problem is not that we have an infection that needs to be killed we have immune systems that do not tolerate candida, and likely many other things….like foods, chemicals, molds etc….it is an immune imbalance that can actually lead to other chronic viral infections, toe nail fungus etc….You must retrain your immune system and regain balance of Th1 and TH2 response through LDA and now LDI. Low dose allergy and immunotherapy. There is a new shot avaiable for candida. Search LDA and dr. Shrader and find a doctor near you to do it. After my 7th shot I was drinking beers and eating cake for the first time in ten years with no reactions. You can contact me if you want to know more.

    #169438

    Mike7182
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

    Hello JamesMc,

    I appreciate your response and I feel you make some very valid points about how important the immune system is. I have only done some slight looking into possible immunotherapy for Candida however I think I am in a different boat then many of the sufferers on this form in the sense of my symptoms. I have no food allergies or intolerances that I am aware of, really my only issue is my constant burning, itching and inflammation in my genital, specifically my scrotum and perineum. I originally had an undiagnosed superficial yeast infection for a long time that was only finally determined after a dermatologist finally decided to do a culture and biopsy of the skin. What I am now left after numeral topic treatments is burning skin without any active infection that any doctor can find. Except for the possibility of the harsh drugs altering my nerve endings, the only other reasonable diagnosis I can find is a latent intracellular yeast infection. I have already tried the diet with some natural antifungals with no change in the skin. I believe I developed this through sexual contact and because of so many mistreatments, it allowed for yeast to enter deep into the skin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘unresponsive red burning vulva! could this be intracellular yeast? help!’ is closed to new replies.