Unexpected die-off symptoms, need advise

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Unexpected die-off symptoms, need advise

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eddyca 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

eddyca
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hello all! I am new to the forum but not new to candida. I’ve had recurring yeast infections for all my adult life, especially when I was on birth control. I’ve been off birth control for a year and started a 3 week sugar detox 9 months ago, then progressed to a Paleo diet. I’m not strictly Paleo anymore because I consume 1-3 cups of unpasteurized milk a day and indulge in refined sugar and alcohol a few times a week. The only thing I have been strict about is gluten (although I do get glutened from time to time when I eat out)
    Since I changed my diet I have been having less frequent and less severe yeast infections so I thought my candida issues were getting better. Well 2 weeks ago I started taking 500mg of oderless garlic gel twice a day to deter Mosquitos (I had no idea it was an anti fungal). Last Friday I made coconut flour coconut cupcakes with lime icing which contained coconut oil, coconut flour, shredded coconut and coconut butter. Well after devouring 3 of those cupcakes I soon started to experience massive die off symptoms. I’m itching everywhere–private areas, neck, arms, insomnia, fatigue… This has been going on for 5 days and seems to be worse today. I started taking florajen 3 days ago and I’m continuing the garlic gels. I always add a tbsp of coconut oil to my coffee in the morning and I cook with it a few times a week.

My question is, am I trying to heal too fast? I had no idea I had systemic candida overgrowth until the die-off started so I’m assuming my overgrowth was mild. How long do die off symptoms usually last?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The coconuts and garlic are strongly antifungal. You also don’t have systematic candida because if you did you would be in the hospital fighting for your life. You have candida related complex (CRC) if you do have it.

The die-off can last a long period of time potentially if you don’t have a detox plan and if the yeast levels remain high. Some people have die-off for many months in a row.

If you develop a good detox plan, the die-off might go away completely. Most people who have die-off have compromised liver health…because not everyone gets die-off.

The florajen is a probiotic and it should contribute to die-off as well as the coconut oil and the garlic so this product will not make it better. What you need is liver support supplements. I would consider stopping all of these and then the die-off will be less severe.

Here are 2 posts worth checking out:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9434_Die-off-remedies-post–will-edit-more-in-time.aspx

and

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst8180_Doing-too-much-too-fast.aspx

-raster

eddyca

Thank you so much for your reply! I will focus on detoxing by trying a hot epsom salt bath tonight and I’ll start taking the milk thistle that has been gathering dust on my vitamin shelf. I have a batch of Kombucha that will be ready on Friday, do you think it will be okay to drink 4 oz a day to aid with detoxing? There is mixed information on the internet about Kombucha and Candida. Some say its a good combo, and other says its bad!

raster
    Participant

I wouldn’t use kombucha for detoxing just as I wouldn’t use probiotics…

-raster

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Eddyca,

Kombucha is fine given its not loaded with residual sugar, longer ferments are preferred.
    I think your case is less severe given you don’t have chronic digestive disorders, allergies, etc. That’s a good thing.

I would recommend you temporarily cut out sugars, gluten, desserts, and the obvious stuff.
    Try fermenting veggies (e.g sauerkraut,Curtido, etc.) or take a good pro-biotic (e.g. Prescript assist, Probiotic-3, etc.).
    I would also give an anti-fungal like Nystatin a try. The reason being is it doesn’t harm your beneficial flora like Garlic (allicin), Caprylic acid, etc. will.

Protecting ones gut microbiome is of most importance, I wish somebody told me this before I began this journey.

Good luck!

-D

eddyca

I was just reading through the study by Cornell University Determination and characterization of the anti-microbial activity of the fermented tea Kombucha and it turns out that Kombucha is NOT beneficial for Candida:

“Fermented Kombucha, at about 7 g/L acetic acid (33 g/L total acid), had anti-microbial activity against all test organisms in all green and black tea preparations, except Candida albicans. Candida albicans was not inhibited by any test solutions except tested commercial vinegar (50 g/L acetic acid).”

I guess I’ll let my Kombucha brew for 30 days then use it at a gnat trap. I just don’t have the heart to throw the SCOBY away!

raster
    Participant

eddyca;58046 wrote: I was just reading through the study by Cornell University Determination and characterization of the anti-microbial activity of the fermented tea Kombucha and it turns out that Kombucha is NOT beneficial for Candida:

“Fermented Kombucha, at about 7 g/L acetic acid (33 g/L total acid), had anti-microbial activity against all test organisms in all green and black tea preparations, except Candida albicans. Candida albicans was not inhibited by any test solutions except tested commercial vinegar (50 g/L acetic acid).”

I guess I’ll let my Kombucha brew for 30 days then use it at a gnat trap. I just don’t have the heart to throw the SCOBY away!

Ya I recommend kombucha, and specifically the yeast that is in it called s.boulardii. You can get boulardii capsules which is much more concentrated and this will feed on the yeast. I just don’t think its good for detoxing…for detoxing you need liver cleansing herbs.

-raster

eddyca

I wanted to update really quick about my progress. I haven’t changed my diet or the anti fungals (garlic, probiotics and coconut). But I took several hot Epsom salt baths and started on super milk thistle by Swanson and the itching has stopped! It could also be because it has been cooler out the last couple of days.
    I am still fatigued but it’s also that TOM so it might that.
    Thanks for your help everyone! I wouldn’t have guessed the die off symptoms were caused by an overwhelmed liver

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Unexpected die-off symptoms, need advise’ is closed to new replies.