Trying to make sense of this all!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Trying to make sense of this all!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

maymichellee
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

I’m going to try to keep this short.

A month or so ago, I was getting what seemed like back to back yeast infections. I went searching and came across this website. Reading all about it I realized that I had alot of the symptoms, if not all of them. The more I read about it, the more it seemed to make sense. One thing that really stood out was how it makes it hard to lose to weight!

I have tried started this diet I don’t know how many times, but I ended up getting so frustrated with the lack of options I have, that I just say “eff it” and give into my cravings. I get into this whole “Life is too short” mindset… and then I pay for it the next day.

So, any advice – esp. about the beginning! would be helpful. How do you stick to it? What do you eat? How do you know when you’re ready to move to the next stage? etc

Thank you!

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

maymichellee wrote: I’m going to try to keep this short.

A month or so ago, I was getting what seemed like back to back yeast infections. I went searching and came across this website. Reading all about it I realized that I had alot of the symptoms, if not all of them. The more I read about it, the more it seemed to make sense. One thing that really stood out was how it makes it hard to lose to weight!

I have tried started this diet I don’t know how many times, but I ended up getting so frustrated with the lack of options I have, that I just say “eff it” and give into my cravings. I get into this whole “Life is too short” mindset… and then I pay for it the next day.

So, any advice – esp. about the beginning! would be helpful. How do you stick to it? What do you eat? How do you know when you’re ready to move to the next stage? etc

Thank you!

maymichellee wrote: I’m going to try to keep this short.

Thank you!

Dear maymichellee,

Let me start by saying that I can fully appreciate how frustrating this must be for you. I know its hard and that it takes alot of determination and will power to follow this diet. I am also a newbie to this form and I only started the diet about 2 weeks ago. I will tell you what I did so that perhaps you might feel encouraged.

First of all my ultimate goal is to get well again, I have been sick for so long that I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. So that is my drive. My alarm bells started ringing loudly when I saw the state of my tongue, completely covered in thrush, that including a myriad of symptoms. (if you read post, titled thank you able you will find lots of valuable information).

So i started my diet with a 7 day fast and i followed the diet to a T that is I took the psyllium husk powder as well as the bentonite and the liver flush in the evening. After 7 days, I started to feel better + I lost weight which was not intended. During this time the candida would have already started to die off because I starved It from sugar, caffeine, stuff that feeds candida and causes it to increase and multiply.

Then i went to stage 1 of the diet making sure that I do not eat anything that might have sugar in it, i.e absolutely no fruits, no fizzy drinks, no alcohol, no bread that has yeast, no pasta, no grains, no apple pies or anything similar. Also no complex carb vegetables e.g potatoes and carrots because during digestion they turn into sugar. We dont want to feed the candida do we? Check list of foods to eat on this site, you will get a very good idea. I am sure you are saying to yourself, na ffit I cannot do this, however dont panic, there are several items that you can eat and quite delicious to. I must admit that during the cleanse i got extremely hungry so I ate almonds which are an antifungal, as well organic goat yogurt because it is a probiotic. I ate them once a day, its a question of trial and error, you try and see how your body reacts. I am still in the experimental stage of stage 1, pretty much trying out a bit of this and a bit of this.
    You can bake your own bread with coconut flour, by the way coconut oil is also an antifungal. There is a recipe with the coconut bread posted by Able900 its very good and easy to do. One recommendation, during the cleanse make sure to either drink distilled or filtered water to avoid drinking any unnecessary chemicals. Plus try to buy organic food and meats, remember that everything non organic is full of chemicals, pesticides, hormones and alot of bad stuff. Please also stay away from the diaries milk, cheese etc. I say again dont panic this is stage 1 of the diet in stage 2 you can start to reintroduce foods again. On this site it says that you can stay on stage 1 of the diet for about 3 weeks if I’m not mistaken, however it is safer to stay on stage 1 until you have no symptoms whatsoever and to keep to the diet for a month longer then move to stage 2. This is just to make sure you eliminate any possibility of a relapse.
    Another word of caution, antifungals are good because they cause die off, however you want to go slow on die off because it causes very unpleasant things in your body, you can feel sicker than you do with candida. Once again there is a list on this site with anticandida foods. Take a look. Also please do read posts titled thank you Able, its full of information. Also another post by me, cant remember the title but it ends something like only 1 reply something like that anyway.

One last thing, ask yourself, how badly do you want to get well? How badly do you want to stop having back to back yeast infections? Are you tired of being unwell? How long will you keep giving in to your cravings, which after all is your candida being fed, only to pay for it the next day? The way I see it is I want to get well and I will not pay the price of feeling sick by giving in to my cravings. Indeed life is short and i would much rather die later than sooner!

maymichellee

There is just so much info, and it’s all rather conflicting&confusing! I guess this is going to full of a lot of trial and error.

Does it have to be organic meat? It’s a bit expensive, at least what I have seen is. Also, where in the world do I find yogurt that has no sugar?? I have checked Lowe’s Food and Walmart – nothing. I have read that the brand “La Yogurt” is unsweetened, but I haven’t found it. Is there a certain store I should go to? What brands do I need to look for? I know I need to go to Whole Foods, but it’s a hour away. I’m trying to find things as close as possible to me.

You would think the idea of being pain free, healthier, and happier would be appealing enough, but I am so use to feeling yucky, I just deal with it! I need to work on changing my way of thinking and viewing this!

Diane

maymichellee wrote: There is just so much info, and it’s all rather conflicting&confusing! I guess this is going to full of a lot of trial and error.

Does it have to be organic meat? It’s a bit expensive, at least what I have seen is. Also, where in the world do I find yogurt that has no sugar?? I have checked Lowe’s Food and Walmart – nothing. I have read that the brand “La Yogurt” is unsweetened, but I haven’t found it. Is there a certain store I should go to? What brands do I need to look for? I know I need to go to Whole Foods, but it’s a hour away. I’m trying to find things as close as possible to me.

You would think the idea of being pain free, healthier, and happier would be appealing enough, but I am so use to feeling yucky, I just deal with it! I need to work on changing my way of thinking and viewing this!

Preferably yes, non organic meat is pumped with all sorts of antibiotics, hormones and other chemicals that are not good for anyone let alone candida sufferers! Yes i know its more expensive but its healthier, tastier and what price do you put on your health?

I read in another post that there is a shop called Trader Joe who carries most of the stuff I spoke about as well as kefir which is a liquid form of yogurt filled with probiotics, very good for you. It also carries unsweetened natural yogurt. Look for a local organic shop. I dont live in the U.S.A so my knowledge of shops is 0.

Yes there is much info and it is conflicting and confusing however there are many experienced people on this site who offer a world of valuable info. Did you read the correspondence between Able and myself, if not please do read it. Its full of info, not the conflicting kind.
    It would be ideal if youo could find a shop closer to you but then again if you plan wisely you can save yourself alot of time and energy.

Once again and this might sound harsh, stop moaning and groaning if you want to get well you have to set your mind to it and do something about it. It definitely is not going to happen on its own. I too was used to feeling yucky for a very long time but I got fed up! It seems like you have not had enough of feeling yucky as yet

maymichellee

Hm. I’m not sure about the organic meat. I’m stretching my money as it is, plus I’m trying to save (getting married next year!).

I have always had issues with my stomach, for as long as I can remember. I have always had problems going to the bathroom. I wake up feeling bloated. I always feel nauseous after eating. Some days are worse than others.

I have heard of Trader Joe’s, but again it’s a hour away (I live in a very small town, which is mainly full of “mom&pop” shops. Also, I don’t drive, which makes it more difficult.

I do want to commit to this diet. I feel it would be very stupid of me to ignore all of this information and continue eating as normal.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Diane, great post, full of information.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Maymichellee;

Eating yogurt on a Candida diet isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Of course all yogurts will contain a certain amount of sugar because of how it is made. However, Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt is sold at many health food stores as well as most Walmart stores, and is just one brand that does not contain ‘added’ sugar in the ingredients. This is the type of yogurt to look for. Be sure to start out eating yogurt or anything else that’s new very, very slowly as it may cause Candida reactions in the beginning. Two teaspoons is satisfactory as a test the first day you eat it. If you receive a Candida reaction to it, you could wait another week and then try it again. If you are able to tolerate it, after two days having two teaspoons full, you could raise the amount to three teaspoons and continue to raise it daily from there.

As far as organic meats are concerned, yes, they are more expensive, but the reason that we suggest it is because non-organic meats as well as chicken contain antibiotics and hormones which are not good for even a healthy person but especially someone with Candida. There is also a difference in what the animals are fed.

Many people cannot afford to purchase organic meats all the time; in this case, choosing organic eggs is a good and less costly substitute. Keeping boiled eggs on hand at all times and using them both for a meal or snacks is an easy way to take care of the hunger. Eating less meat, even if it’s not organic, is something that you might try.

You made the comment, “There is just so much info, and it’s all rather conflicting & confusing.” You could start posting to the forum the comments that you find conflicting or confusing, someone with their own experience will address the issue for you. No one who knows what they’re talking about is going to tell you that this is a short, easy trip. It’s a full-time job which takes dedication, and if you manage to cure yourself of Candida, it’s because you took it seriously and did the work.

As far as thinking that you need to work on changing your way of thinking and viewing Candida is concerned, perhaps reading about the numerous and horrific health problems which can and do occur when Candida reaches the stage of poisoning your entire body would do the trick. If you want to read a few of these stories, just ask.

“The best day of your life is one in which you decide your life is your own, and you alone are responsible for the quality of it.”

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

Hi Maymichellee,

I have yoyo’d for about a year trying out a variety of different approaches to battling my candida, it’s only when I finally committed myself to doing this for “as long as it takes”, that I’ve finally stuck to it for a decent amount of time. Every time I decided I should be well enough to eat how I wanted, the disappointment and discomfort of my symptoms coming back gave me the drive to try again.
    I now feel better than I have in a long time, and it’s lovely not to feel tired all the time. I know I still have a fair while of work ahead of me, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I didn’t cut all foods out immediately, purely because my diet has changed with my research, and I am always reading new ideas & information.
    Maybe you could gradually work your way onto the full diet, do you think that might help you stick to it? Cut out all yeast products, fruit & dairy first, then grains and the starchy veg when you’re ready.

Read up on foods you CAN eat rather than can’t, it’s much better for you psychologically.

Have you looked into what foods you can buy online? Can you get an organic meat and/or veg box delivered?
    Buying a whole chicken and taking the meat off the bone is a more economical way of buying it (there’ll be videos on line if you want to learn how to do it)
    Do you eat fish? I’ve been trying some cheaper fish that’s available and some of it’s really nice.

I hope that when you start to feel the benefits, that will be enough to encourage you to commit to it fully, it really will be worth the effort.

maymichellee

Able900 wrote: Maymichellee;

Eating yogurt on a Candida diet isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Of course all yogurts will contain a certain amount of sugar because of how it is made. However, Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt is sold at many health food stores as well as most Walmart stores, and is just one brand that does not contain ‘added’ sugar in the ingredients. This is the type of yogurt to look for. Be sure to start out eating yogurt or anything else that’s new very, very slowly as it may cause Candida reactions in the beginning. Two teaspoons is satisfactory as a test the first day you eat it. If you receive a Candida reaction to it, you could wait another week and then try it again. If you are able to tolerate it, after two days having two teaspoons full, you could raise the amount to three teaspoons and continue to raise it daily from there.

As far as organic meats are concerned, yes, they are more expensive, but the reason that we suggest it is because non-organic meats as well as chicken contain antibiotics and hormones which are not good for even a healthy person but especially someone with Candida. There is also a difference in what the animals are fed.

Many people cannot afford to purchase organic meats all the time; in this case, choosing organic eggs is a good and less costly substitute. Keeping boiled eggs on hand at all times and using them both for a meal or snacks is an easy way to take care of the hunger. Eating less meat, even if it’s not organic, is something that you might try.

You made the comment, “There is just so much info, and it’s all rather conflicting & confusing.” You could start posting to the forum the comments that you find conflicting or confusing, someone with their own experience will address the issue for you. No one who knows what they’re talking about is going to tell you that this is a short, easy trip. It’s a full-time job which takes dedication, and if you manage to cure yourself of Candida, it’s because you took it seriously and did the work.

As far as thinking that you need to work on changing your way of thinking and viewing Candida is concerned, perhaps reading about the numerous and horrific health problems which can and do occur when Candida reaches the stage of poisoning your entire body would do the trick. If you want to read a few of these stories, just ask.

“The best day of your life is one in which you decide your life is your own, and you alone are responsible for the quality of it.”

Thank you for answering my question about the yogurt 🙂 So what I should look for is a one that doesn’t have sugar listed as an ingredient? I will test it out the way you have said to. I use to eat Activia every morning and never seemed to have an issue with it.

As for the meat, I have been trying to give up red meat for some time. I had tried being a pescatarian, maybe I’ll do that again. For fish, I know there is the issue of mercury and such, do I need to worry about that if it is organic?

I had already added organic eggs to my list 🙂 I’m not much for eggs (had a bad episode with some rotten ones!), but I’m sure I’ll come around.

I’ll take your word on the ‘horrific health problems’!

Thank you for your helpful information!!

maymichellee

NeekyNoo wrote: Hi Maymichellee,

I have yoyo’d for about a year trying out a variety of different approaches to battling my candida, it’s only when I finally committed myself to doing this for “as long as it takes”, that I’ve finally stuck to it for a decent amount of time. Every time I decided I should be well enough to eat how I wanted, the disappointment and discomfort of my symptoms coming back gave me the drive to try again.
    I now feel better than I have in a long time, and it’s lovely not to feel tired all the time. I know I still have a fair while of work ahead of me, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I didn’t cut all foods out immediately, purely because my diet has changed with my research, and I am always reading new ideas & information.
    Maybe you could gradually work your way onto the full diet, do you think that might help you stick to it? Cut out all yeast products, fruit & dairy first, then grains and the starchy veg when you’re ready.

Read up on foods you CAN eat rather than can’t, it’s much better for you psychologically.

Have you looked into what foods you can buy online? Can you get an organic meat and/or veg box delivered?
    Buying a whole chicken and taking the meat off the bone is a more economical way of buying it (there’ll be videos on line if you want to learn how to do it)
    Do you eat fish? I’ve been trying some cheaper fish that’s available and some of it’s really nice.

I hope that when you start to feel the benefits, that will be enough to encourage you to commit to it fully, it really will be worth the effort.

I don’t know why I haven’t tried just removing one thing at a time! I have done fairly well with removing bread from my diet, but that’s about the only thing. The hardest things for me are pastas and fast food. Terrible, I know!

My mom and my fiance have given me the same advice as you. It seems all my life I have focused on the negative side of things. I’m really trying to change that.

I will look into having foods delivered, though I’m not sure how I feel about that. Plus, it will probably be near impossible. As I said in a previous post, I live in a very small town – a lot of people don’t even know it exists!

The day after I have actually avoided all the bad stuff, I did feel rather better.

Did you/are you doing the cleanse before starting stage one? I attempted, but I just can’t handle the liver flush drink – any suggestions? Would it be okay just to do one of those colon cleanse kits?

Thank you for posting! 🙂 And, I hope your journey becomes easier!

Diane

Dear Maymichelle,

This diet is not easy and I can understand that its hard to give up so many things at one go. I like the idea of cutting of stuff one thing at a time then all at once, I think it may make your life much easier. I was so ill that I just had to stop everything at once
    but thats just me. So Neekynoo was and is very sensible in her/his advice, take it nice and slow and when you feel ready for it,
    it wont be so hard. Remember, there are people here who are ready to help so just reach out and we will answer your questions.
    Last time I was rough and I apologise about that, I guess, sometimes I cannot understand why we take so long to realise that feeling sick should not be an option to live by.

Thats all for now

Good luck

be healthy

Diane

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

maymichellee wrote:
    Did you/are you doing the cleanse before starting stage one? I attempted, but I just can’t handle the liver flush drink – any suggestions? Would it be okay just to do one of those colon cleanse kits?

I did my version of the cleanse, taken from a mix of my research.
    For a week I had a fresh veg juice for breakfast, raw soup for lunch and then dinner was a raw salad (for the first few nights I had one of fish, millet or quinoa with this) and nuts as snacks.
    After a week I did a juice fast (2 ltr fresh veg juice throughout the day)
    The following day I did a water fast (this was a tough day, I did nothing all day!)
    The following day I had just juice again.
    I then went back on juice, soup and salad, adding fish, meat and some grains back in.
    Working into it slowly meant it was so much easier to stick to, and I only started to feel REALLY hungry when I was reintroducing more foods, it was then very difficult to control myself!

I did the liver flush a couple of times, but really couldn’t take it either. I did an enema every day of the fasts and then a few days after, this made me feel better about not having the flush.
    I am now having (every morning for the last week) chopped garlic, a whole lemon juiced, ginger juice (grate & squeeze out the juice), 3 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp bentonite clay, 1 tsp psyllium husks.
    All the ingredients ar supposed to be really good for detoxing your liver, and the concoction is much more palatable. I’m ‘happy’ to have this for another few weeks.

I hope this helps 🙂

Able900
    Spectator

maymichellee;

About the organic yogurt, the sugar content will still be listed; however, it isn’t necessary for the grams to be over two digits. For example, Oikos brand contains 9 grams per serving. I believe that Activia contains much more than that, so I would leave it alone.

If you wish to find a good source for fish, take a look at Vital-Choice’s website. This is where I purchase all of the fish I eat. The fish they market are free of hazardous levels of mercury. This is because they only market species that are known to be inherently low in mercury content. The other thing to think about is eating younger fish which have less of a chance of having any mercury content at all, such as herring and sardines. http://vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/home.asp

If you’re going to try and eat more eggs and like egg salad, let me know and I’ll post a recipe for you that’s healthier and Candida friendly.

Able

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trying to make sense of this all!’ is closed to new replies.