Tried to tell doctor about candida and she made me feel like a psycho

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Tried to tell doctor about candida and she made me feel like a psycho

This topic contains 16 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  1533jd 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Angor
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 136

Today I tried to tell my doctor about my suspicion that I have a possible candida overgrowth. I wanted her to prescribe nystatin. She said that it was an illogical claim, that only cancer patients have candida. I’m still not sure if my problem is SIBO or candida, but something have been giving me severe die-off the last couple of months. Then I tried to tell my doctor about the protocol and die-off from coconut oil. But she looked at me like I was mentally ill, and asked me about my depression and offered to prescribe some antidepressants. I feel so ridicolous now. I never should have said something. I feel like a hypocondric and a liar and totally mortified.

How do you deal with disbelief?

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

Angor;31439 wrote: Today I tried to tell my doctor about my suspicion that I have a possible candida overgrowth. I wanted her to prescribe nystatin. She said that it was an illogical claim, that only cancer patients have candida. I’m still not sure if my problem is SIBO or candida, but something have been giving me severe die-off the last couple of months. Then I tried to tell my doctor about the protocol and die-off from coconut oil. But she looked at me like I was mentally ill, and asked me about my depression and offered to prescribe some antidepressants. I feel so ridicolous now. I never should have said something. I feel like a hypocondric and a liar and totally mortified.

Your Dr is an ignorant. When you need to speak with your Dr about CRC take a good book with you. Give the book to your Dr. For instance, The Missing Diagnosis or The Yeast Syndrome. Tell your Dr that allow you to speak with him after he reads the book. Those books were written by prominent MDs.

Jorge.

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

Most candida sufferers have gone through this. I did. If I wanted, I could go book a dozen appointments and put myself through that pain all over again. Its a choice to accept the world as it is, and move forward with CONVICTION. You know your own body better than anyone else. Trust your instincts.

Another piece of advice, it’s not your job to make people believe in this condition. I paid for this dearly as I pushed people away that didn’t support me, when all you need is your own belief and CONVICTION.

People will be skeptical, and this is the world we live in. Just accept it, be a better person, and one day this will all be behind you.

You can give people the “cliff notes” version of your journey. I tell people this version, and if they want to know more, I tell them a little bit more. Keep it simple so you don’t come across as “foggy”, especially since brain fog and confusion are symptoms.

I usually say, “I’ve contracted this yeast allergy…it’s pretty rare, and not too many doctors know about it. The good news is there’s a cure, it’s just a long term restrictive diet and probiotics to fix my immune system…now, how have you been?”

You’ve got to sell yourself and turn the focus on others. This method has saved me unneeded skepticism and long rumbling conversations that only opened up the wounds of my pain.

By coming off as strong and determined to others, you will feel this way at the end of the night, and wake up with a smile on your face the next day. Small steps, small progress.

I can tell you as someone who is feeling better on month 4 of the protocol, you don’t need people’s belief to get better. They’ll see the new you soon enough, and you’ll be wiser for the entire experience.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

Sorry to hear of your experience. It’s why this board is so precious!

Len

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello angor,

Like you, this is what my experience was. There is a major difference between western and eastern medicine. Western medicine involves promoting drugs that often don’t heal (unless its an antibiotic). Eastern medicine involves promoting diet, vitamins, nutrients, and things that will heal.

Here’s another way to look at it. All these doctor’s do is go to medical panels, meetings, and discussions promoted by the pharmaceutical industry. All they know what to do is to prescribe medicine. Most doctors want to prescribe antidepressents, antibiotics, vaccines, etc. This is all 90% of the doctor’s know. They don’t prescribe vitamins, they don’t promote digestion tips, and general dietary health. They also do not acknowledge that GMO foods, vaccines, heavy metal loads, etc. lead to any kind of detriment in health.

Here’s a simple fact for you: there has been about one candida study published on average for every day for the last 60+ years. There are over 50,000 studies published on candida in the medical industry. Doctor’s know about candida, but there is not one medication that heals anyone from the overgrowth. Nystatin is also very expensive and thus costs your insurance a ton of money. I believe its close to $1000 US without insurance for a one month’s supply.

What you need to do is go to a naturopathic, holistic, altruistic, or preventative medicine doctor who has read the studies on candida and knows how to treat it. I think maybe 1% of all western doctors know about it and how to treat it. I think maybe 50% of all naturopathic doctors know about it and how to treat it (supposedly).

Also, most doctors want to give a disorder within a body a name, such as a disease. Candida is not a disease (as of now) and thus they cannot classify the syndrome.

-raster

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Add to what others have said, most Dr’s want to deny it because their over prescription of antibiotics & other meds damaging to the gut have most likely caused these problems.

At my (awful) local NHS surgery only one of the Dr’s there actually decided to look into it further. He had recently qualified & was only doing a 6 month stint there (unfortunately), but he listened & researched it (including speaking to his brother, who is a homeopathic Dr).

One of the others described it as “quackery” & suggested taking more antibiotics to fix the skin rash. He was the same person who told me to go home & rest when I went in a year and a half earlier because I had blacked out from a dizziness attack & stomach cramps waiting for a bus in the cold with my 11month old daughter – suggesting it might be stress.

I’ve seen him out on the streets before & wanted to iron him out for his complete lack of competence & respect (obviously I didn’t).

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this from your Dr. I was lucky enough to find out about my Candida because my Dr. put my symptoms to together and then ran some tests.

Do what you know if right for you. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about your illness. ESPECIALLY a Dr.

Rachelle

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

Angor: Not sure what part of the country you are in, but I would suggest you find a Naturopathic doctor. Those of us on the West coast are fortunate to be able to find them rather easily (and in Oregon ND’s are legally allowed to be primary care physicians – not sure how many other states allow that) From what I hear it’s not as easy in other parts of the country, but I suspect if you look around you’ll find them. I just got back from an appointment with a Naturopath who spent a whole 2 hours with me – amazing. Last week I went to a Gastroenterologist and spent maybe 1/2 an hour with him and he didn’t tell me nearly as much as the Naturopath did.

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

Angor, I think most of us can relate to your post. My doctor just told me I was reading nonsense online. The bottom line is: you know your body, you know something is not right and that doctors aren’t helping, but rather hurting you. You also know that the diet is working. I swear I think doctors just memorize symptoms/diseases and just prescribe medicine for them.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

perhaps bringing in the information about the simple Candida antigen blood test may be appropriate: it’s the most accurate from my understanding. The results of that test may help in your relationship with your Dr. Prescribing Nystatin without due cause most doc’s wouldn’t consider: it’s serious medicine.

Wishing you nothing but healing graces and many blessings.

weehen
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

This disbelief and condescension from allopathic doctors kept me from really dealing with my candida issues for almost 2 decades….don’t let them put you off!

My advice may sound harsh, but it is your health you must guard: find a new doctor. I found it wasn’t worth my energy or time trying to convince allopathic doctors. They are trained to dish out prescriptions. Some are open-minded, but many are not, and the mere mention of candida will show you clearly which of these camps they reside in.

Integrative doctors, naturopathic doctors, chiropractors and others will be far more receptive and will probably take the time to actually listen to your issues and so on….save your time and energy on a doctor who is actually willing to work with you on this.

ETA: Oh, and if you have a hard time finding an alternative doctor in your area, then using websites and forums like this will probably be what you will need to rely upon….
    I would be very glad of my allopathic doctor and the hospital system if I had some horrible injury or something that needed some kind of physical intervention or surgery, but beyond that I take responsibility for my own health by seeking out advice that is holistic (looking at my entire body as an integrated system, not disparate parts that bear no relation to one another and need corresponding “experts”) and is not biased toward prescribing massive amounts of drugs (with their accompanying side effects).

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Most doctors think candida is just something that women get in their private area. They are not educated on the effects of antibiotics causing candida in both Women+Men. Its hard to find a doctor that will understand candida issues with Men or just candida issues in general.

candida_sucks
    Replies: 148

raster;31452 wrote: Nystatin is also very expensive and thus costs your insurance a ton of money. I believe its close to $1000 US without insurance for a one month’s supply.

Raster,

I get Nystatin made by a compounding pharmacy. I take 2.5 million units a day; a 1-month supply costs me around $160, and my insurance pays half of that. Nothing close to $1000!

CS

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I’m sure 90% of the people on this forum has gone through this, myself included.
    It would be lovely to take back my 5 years of Doctors, GI doctors, colonoscopys, and people telling me this was something in head.

We have your back here on this forum, and we are all in this together.

good luck on finding a new docter.

candida_sucks
    Replies: 148

Angor;31439 wrote: Today I tried to tell my doctor about my suspicion that I have a possible candida overgrowth. I wanted her to prescribe nystatin. She said that it was an illogical claim, that only cancer patients have candida. I’m still not sure if my problem is SIBO or candida, but something have been giving me severe die-off the last couple of months. Then I tried to tell my doctor about the protocol and die-off from coconut oil. But she looked at me like I was mentally ill, and asked me about my depression and offered to prescribe some antidepressants. I feel so ridicolous now. I never should have said something. I feel like a hypocondric and a liar and totally mortified.

I’ve shared this once before — there are doctors (even MDs) throughout the country that are actually trained to believe in candidiasis and treat people for it. I learned about them through an article (here) that Jorge once shared. The Institute for Functional Medicine has a web site where you can search for such a doctor:

Functional medicine doctor search

The chairman of the board of The Institute for Functional Medicine is Dr. Mark Hyman, MD. You can sometimes see him on public television talking about diabetes and obesity. He criticizes mainstream medicine (doctors that just treat symptoms), and cures people of all kinds of things via proper nutrition and finding the real causes of their problems (like candida). As I understand it, he’s even been on 60 minutes, though I didn’t catch that episode (though I’d like to see it).

Anyway, if you’re tired of doctors treating you like you’re crazy, then the link above may be worth a shot. I found an MD that treats people for this, and am now taking Nystatin and Diflucan, which are helping speed this up (I started the diet 14 months ago).

Cheers,
    CS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tried to tell doctor about candida and she made me feel like a psycho’ is closed to new replies.