Too much Buckwheat?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Too much Buckwheat?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  timmyb 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi!

Just wondering if I’m having too much Buckwheat? I have 2 small slices of buckwheat bread for breakfast every morning. also up to 4 or 5 small buckwheat crispbreads during the day – both spread thickly with coconut oil. But I’m just having a bowl of my chicken “gruel” and remembered it’s also thickened with Buckwheat. What do you think?

I don’t like the coconut bread recipes so with get some oat bran flour and experiment with that, so that could take 1 “portion” out of the mix.

Thanks a mill,

Lucy

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Thats a good question, I am waiting for an answer too. Too day I feel bad and then I thought its the onions I ate, but reading your post I remember that I eat a lot of buckwheat bread I made myself. It only buckwheat, water, oliveoil and salt. But I was eating quite a lot.

cheers
    Thomas

Lucylu

How much is “quite a lot”? I can’t quite understand why there’s a restriction on it but perhaps Able will explain…

How do you get your bread to stick together without eggs? Is it quite crumbly?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There is nothing wrong with buckwheat unless you have an allergic reaction to it; if you do have an allergic reaction then you likely have severe leaky gut.

Buckwheat is not a grain like wheat, rice, corn, etc. It is not a cereal or a grass according to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat

If you have mucous production after anything you eat, then that means you shouldn’t have it; I personally never had a reaction to buckwheat.

Eat away!

-Raster

Thomas

Lucylu wrote: How much is “quite a lot”? I can’t quite understand why there’s a restriction on it but perhaps Able will explain…

How do you get your bread to stick together without eggs? Is it quite crumbly?

No, mine is like a hardbread. I take a dl. buckwheat and put it in a bowl. Then I add water, its very thin, I add salt and little olive oil. Its thicker than milk but thinner than yogurt. I pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees celsius. I put a non stick backing paper onto a plate and pure the thin buckwheat porridge onto it.
    Then I put it into the oven and take it out when I like it, often it is golden brown on the edges.

when you take it out it is a soft bread. But if you switch off the oven a little before it gets goldenbrown and leave it there you get a cracker type bread. Like the Swedish knäckebröd.

Its easy and fast to fix. I eat it with olive oil and cucumber or avocado.

cheers
    Thomas

timmyb
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 37

Buckwheat is extremely inflammatory. And it has massive amounts of starch. If you have to have carbs lentils are the safest choice.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5681/2

ray.of.light
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 16

Hey guys –

Apparently Able & Raster sad that Buckwheat/coconute/oat bran flour is beneficial during the diet.

Last night after dinner I was soo bloated and I couldn’t understand why considereing all I eat is green vegetables and protein.

I realized I had the buckwheat bread too, so maybe that is why I had issues.

I have some great Candida free recipes coming up soon too!

Hope you’re feelings better

– Ray

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

I baked the buckwheat bread yesterday for the first time,and I had 2 slices, I have to agree with Timmy, it may be inflamatory, the joints in my hands were puffed, I did not feel this for a while, my nose was stuffed in the morning when I woke up, gotta be the bread because I didn’t have anything different from my diet, I feel bad because I really like it. :0{

Lucylu

As raster said “if youre not allergic to it” which maybe you both are? I haven’t had any reaction and have been eating it 2 or 3 times a day for 2 weeks now.

raster
    Participant

I had no idea it had starch, but when compared to brown rice…it has way less starch! Or compare it to bananas…not even in the same ballpark.

Buckwheat contains 25% starch according to wikipedia. Oat bran is lower on the list according to this glycemic index:

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Do a CTRL + F to do a search for buckwheat to see all of the occurances.

Accordng to this guy on this website, buckwheat is considered “high” in the glycemic index at 54:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-visting-family-primal-compromises-and-grain-alternatives/

(from glycemic index)
    Brown rice- 68
    Spaghetti- 49
    Cornflakes- 81
    Potato- 78
    Rice Milk- 86
    Barley- 28
    Quinoa- 13

So because barley is at a lower glycemic index as well as spaghetti…should these be allowed? Both of these are cereal grains…

If you want to be cautious save buckwheat for phase 2. If you get a reaction to it, save it for phase 2. I started buckwheat halfway during phase 1 and no problems; I had leaky gut real real bad. Just because it has worked for me doesn’t make it OK for you; everyone should make their own decisions. I did get a reaction to brown and wild rice, corn, spaghetti, and quinoa.

Quinoa contains 50% starch also, but low on the glycemic index. Brown rice contains 77% starch, sorghum 73%, millet, 69%, wheat 75%, oats 65%, barley 79%, rye 73%, corn 76%…so if you compare buckwheat to these foods, it looks rather good in my opinion.

-Raster

timmyb
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 37

Good points Raster.

I really like this site

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4337/2

You can compare how inflammatory something is
    You can also see the amount of starch something has by subtracting the fiber and sugar from the total amount of carbohydrates

You can also see the glycemic index.

I am under the impression that one should have a completely anti inflammatory diet. This is a way to check it out!
    Thanks!

PS do a search for “fish oil” on that site that I mentioned and see how benificial that is. Just remember that one capsule is usually only 1 gram so adjust the calculations accordingly.

raster
    Participant

That is a very good site there timmy.

According to his website long and medium grained brown rice is less inflammatory than buckwheat and has a lower glycemic index. Interesting…

Also interesting…almond butter is anti-inflamatory. Score!

However, when I had leaky gut I reacted to almond butter badly, but never to buckwheat which is inflammatory; shows you what I know I guess based on my symptoms.

Yes, you are right…during the earlier part of the diet you should be eating an anti-inflammatory diet. As you get healthier, you can slowly start eating inflammatory foods. This is a major aha moment for me.

I guess this is why I am taking fermented cod liver now per my naturopath.

-Raster

raster
    Participant

Timmy…I am on a roll today and am learning more about this.

Green tea is anti-inflammatory, so is broccoli…

Here are the top 10 anti-inflammatory foods:

http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-anti-inflammatory-foods.htm

And bioflavanoids are anti-inflammatory; this is something dr. mcoombs recommends for people with allergies and many other candida related problems. I am going to get some soon I think.

I just hope I didn’t give poor advice about the buckwheat; I don’t know a ton and I am no expert…I am learning just like you guys! Please take any advice I give with a grain of salt. The buckwheat has worked for me despite it being high on the inflammatory scale, but I started eating it when I was just about over the die-off symptoms. It contains no sugar, and very little starch; it might be a good idea to rotate it with other items so that it isn’t the only potentially bad thing you can eat.

On a side note: Lots of foods are inflammatory; its hard to find foods that are not! Chicken is even considered inflammatory (slightly) as well as pumpkin. If buckwheat is the only “bad/highly inflammatory” food item you eat, it certainly isn’t the end of the world and is a good alternative to grains and rice. Also it lists as a high amount on their scale, but who eats a whole cup of buckwheat at a time!

-Raster

Thomas

…but who eats a whole cup of buckwheat at a time!

It was me, two days ago. And after that I felt terrible. It could be as well the onions, I didn’t have onions for several month. But thanks a lot about the info about buckwheat, I am watching my intake too now.

cheers
    thomas

Lucylu

Raster – surely the issue with the Almond butter is the mold… not the inflamatory nature?? Please contradict me cos I have some in the cupboard and would love some!

Also bananas… though fos I presume a no no as far as sugar is concerned? All a bit confusing.

Buckwheat – I baked a fresh batch of bread yesterday with 3rd Buckwheat instead of all… sampling a few different flours. (Check out the Zucchini cake recipe I made up on the recipe thread! Was feeling very creative!!). also won’t have the soup for lunch today (thickened with buckwheat).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Too much Buckwheat?’ is closed to new replies.