Tolerance/intolerance

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Tolerance/intolerance

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  dforbreakfast 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hairbrush
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 5

This might sound like a really silly question.

But how can you tell if you’re ok with something or not, candida diet wise?

There are some things I know in general that I CANNOT tolerate (namely wheat, oats and eggs) – but the symptoms for these are obvious, extreme, and not the same as what I think of as candida-related ones.

So for everything else…how can you tell? How do you know if you feel rubbish because you ate something new yesterday, or if it’s die-off symptoms? Or even just because you didn’t sleep very well, or ate at the wrong time of day, or just it’s a rubbish day. Or premenstrual.

Etc.

Also – given that I can’t have eggs – any other suggestions for protein?

dforbreakfast
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

It’s not silly, I would actually be interested in people’s input on this as well. I feel terrible in general no matter what I eat, and always right after I eat.

As far as a non-egg protein source, I use hemp seeds. Stir them into whatever you’re eating. 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

So you are trying to determine the difference between an allergy and a candida or die-off symptom, correct?

An allergy (or reaction) typically happens immediately or soon after eating something that you are allergic to; the symptoms can range from a cough, mucous production, tremors, heart palpitations, headaches, the leaky “gut” burn feeling I’ve mentioned over and over (similar to indian rug burn), hyperventilation, and more symptoms…it typically lasts for a short period of time such as a period of hours.

Candida symptoms typically happen throughout your treatment and are very similar, but occur all day or or over a period of weeks or months or years. Examples include brain fog, poor digestion, anxiety, acne, headaches, poor concentration, inability to cope with stress, arthritis, food allergies, etc. These can change or morph throughout your treatment and should improve as you get better.

Die-off symptoms typically start right after you start the diet and are very similar to the above symptoms, but are typically new or different symptoms you haven’t had persistantly before. The main ones include general flu-like symptoms of malaise, fever, coughing, sweating, poor energy, brain fog, headaches, acne, etc. You just feel very ill and it doesn’t feel right. After a period of weeks or months these should reduce or go away and you should slowly start to feel normal. Protecting the liver and kidneys can reduce die-off symptoms.

Hope this helps explain it! You just need to understand your body and what is going on and the cause and effect relationship.

-raster

dforbreakfast

Thanks raster. So, I was tested for allergies about 1.5 years ago, and literally was allergic to EVERYTHING. This led the doctor to conclude I have leaky gut and she prescribed this candida diet for me. (I didn’t start it for a long time because I couldn’t live without caffeine.)

So it seems like I must be experiencing an allergic reaction every time I eat, according to your description — headache, stomach discomfort, mucus, weakness and palpitations IMMEDIATELY after I eat. But my question is, I’m eating only things on Able’s Very Strict Candida Diet list.. but if these are giving me allergic reactions, is that harming my recovery from candida? Should I just suffer through them and hope it will get better? Frankly I don’t know what to eat if I can’t even eat these things.

dforbreakfast

I should clarify, I’ve been on the strict diet for about 2.5 months now, and have experienced very little relief and almost no weight loss. Also my heart condition has worsened and now I faint a lot more than I used to.

raster
    Participant

The first thing you need to do in order to heal leaky gut is you need to reduce the inflammation of the gut. This is done via an anti-inflammatory organic diet with lots of veggies and other foods such as blueberries, salmon, broccoli, pumpkin, cinnamon, etc. You also need to remove all the things that inflame the gut from your diet such as caffeine (coffee), smoking, processed foods, gmo foods, sugar, etc. I am unsure if you can reduce the inflammation effectively while eating a non-organic diet.

You’ll also need to get supplements which heal the gut and reduce inflammation. A great supplement that reduces inflammation is (fermented) cod liver oil which is like 100x more anti-inflammatory than just eating salmon or other foods by themselves. Other leaky gut supplements include L-glutamine, digestive enzymes, Swedish or other bitters, SF722, cinnamon, inulin (aka FOS), and more (much larger list).

You’ll also need to change the characteristics of the gut or the flora that lives within it. Candida has grown over all of the other flora, so your bodies natural defenses are suppressed. Antifungals, probiotics, prebiotics all change the flora of the gut and it takes a very long time to reverse what is living there. You could also have other bacterium that has overgrown include h.pylori, ecoli, or parasites. Prebiotics, probiotics, and antifungals are effective in getting these to healthy levels.

Have you started to feel better once you’ve been on the diet? What supplements are you taking currently? Are you eating other things not on ables food list such as rice or corn?

As far as being allergic to everything; I was this way and so were many others. You need to eat anti-inflammatory foods and foods that promote the healthy gut flora (essentially able’s foods list); but the diet alone won’t cure you because you need it in conjunction with all of the supplements. The supplements are the x-factor while on the diet, and if you are not taking the correct ones, your treatment will not go as good you have hoped. A naturopathic doctor can tailor a list of these supplements and adjust them as you get better. I also highly recommend acupuncture which can heal individual organs and detox the body by itself.

dforbreakfast

raster wrote: The first thing you need to do in order to heal leaky gut is you need to reduce the inflammation of the gut. This is done via an anti-inflammatory organic diet with lots of veggies and other foods such as blueberries, salmon, broccoli, pumpkin, cinnamon, etc. You also need to remove all the things that inflame the gut from your diet such as caffeine (coffee), smoking, processed foods, gmo foods, sugar, etc. I am unsure if you can reduce the inflammation effectively while eating a non-organic diet.

You’ll also need to get supplements which heal the gut and reduce inflammation. A great supplement that reduces inflammation is (fermented) cod liver oil which is like 100x more anti-inflammatory than just eating salmon or other foods by themselves. Other leaky gut supplements include L-glutamine, digestive enzymes, Swedish or other bitters, SF722, cinnamon, inulin (aka FOS), and more (much larger list).

You’ll also need to change the characteristics of the gut or the flora that lives within it. Candida has grown over all of the other flora, so your bodies natural defenses are suppressed. Antifungals, probiotics, prebiotics all change the flora of the gut and it takes a very long time to reverse what is living there. You could also have other bacterium that has overgrown include h.pylori, ecoli, or parasites. Prebiotics, probiotics, and antifungals are effective in getting these to healthy levels.

Have you started to feel better once you’ve been on the diet? What supplements are you taking currently? Are you eating other things not on ables food list such as rice or corn?

As far as being allergic to everything; I was this way and so were many others. You need to eat anti-inflammatory foods and foods that promote the healthy gut flora (essentially able’s foods list); but the diet alone won’t cure you because you need it in conjunction with all of the supplements. The supplements are the x-factor while on the diet, and if you are not taking the correct ones, your treatment will not go as good you have hoped. A naturopathic doctor can tailor a list of these supplements and adjust them as you get better. I also highly recommend acupuncture which can heal individual organs and detox the body by itself.

Wow, this is GREAT information! I really appreciate your response!

Yep I’m using Able’s food list for my diet. All organic, no rice/quinoa/corn, lots of organic non-starchy veggies, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs, hemp seeds, oat bran, stevia, Himalayan pink sea salt, cinnamon, Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and various organic herbal teas (ginger, peppermint, nettle).

No caffeine, sugar, gluten, complex carbs, processed foods, soy, or non-organic food/tea.

In my water I add trace minerals, lemon juice, baking soda, greens powder and sea salt. This is to help raise my pH which I guess is a big part of recovery.

For supplements, I take:

curcumin (once a day)
    Liv52 (three times a day)
    freeze-dried garlic (after every meal)
    80 billion probiotic (once a day)
    Vitamin C (once a day)
    Vitamin D (once a day)
    Vitamin B Complex (once a day)
    antihistamine (for my allergies, once a day)
    grapefruit seed extract (10 drops, three times a day) — I also took Diflucan every day for a week when I first started the diet
    Betaine HCL (before each meal)
    Swedish bitters (after most meals)

I run 3 miles, 3 times a week, to cleanse through sweat and keep my energy levels up. I think it’s insane that I’m on this diet AND exercising so vigorously, but have only gone from 150 pounds to 143 in almost 3 months!

I’m vegetarian (have been for 15 years now) and so I do not want to take fermented cod liver oil. Is there something else I could take/eat for an anti-inflammatory? If I purchase some of those leaky gut supplements you listed, do you think I would see results relatively quickly? I realize I’m going to have to be on this diet for at least a year, but I was hoping to feel SOMEWHAT better by 3 months. 🙁

So, you think I need to buy:

– L-glutamine
    – digestive enzymes
    – SF722
    – inulin (FOS)

This diet is killing my budget!

dforbreakfast

raster wrote: The first thing you need to do in order to heal leaky gut is you need to reduce the inflammation of the gut. This is done via an anti-inflammatory organic diet with lots of veggies and other foods such as blueberries, salmon, broccoli, pumpkin, cinnamon, etc. You also need to remove all the things that inflame the gut from your diet such as caffeine (coffee), smoking, processed foods, gmo foods, sugar, etc. I am unsure if you can reduce the inflammation effectively while eating a non-organic diet.

can i eat blueberries? i haven’t had fruit in 3 months and it would be nice to add blueberries into the mix!

dforbreakfast

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Can I buy blueberries today?

raster
    Participant

We are going to be like your mom and say “no you can’t have this or have this”, so its up to you whether to add blueberries to your diet.

15 blueberries is about 8g of sugar so it is rather low in sugar. Blueberries also are anti-inlammatory, contain anti-oxidants, and have a bunch of other health properties. I’ve had them throughout my treatment without any problems whatsoever.

On a side note: I would consider not running so much during the week and consider reducing it; you need as much rest as possible to recover from candida and exercising could be taxing your body too much.

-raster

dforbreakfast

Thanks for the input raster! I’m primarily concerned with healing as quickly as possible, so I wasn’t sure if the sugar in blueberries would outweigh their anti-inflammatory benefits… I just don’t want to set myself back any; I’ve been working so hard for 3 months.

I’ve been wanting to lose more weight than I have too – that’s why I’ve been running 3x/week. To no avail, it seems. I’m stuck at 143 pounds. Everyone on here seems to say they had remarkable weight loss on this diet so that’s been worrying me; maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I do have entire days of being so tired I can barely even keep my eyes open, much less speak aloud. It always happens after a day of moderate physical activity (like I had a yard sale last weekend and was completely DEAD for a day afterward), but running for 45 minutes doesn’t seem to have that same effect. Strange.

jo2212
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

One theory for not feeling fatigued after exercise is that when exercising you use up adrenaline produced immediately however more sedate activities such as a yard sale will produce adrenaline which will not be physically used up. Check you adrenals and stress levels perhaps. Just an idea.

Jo

dforbreakfast

Thank you Jo! Do you know if there’s a way to check your adrenals without going to the doctor? I don’t have health insurance.

jo2212
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

I’m not 100% sure, I had mine tested by spit teat through out the day but taking note of when you are tired during the day may help. Generally feeling tired in he morning and awake at night, there are specific times related to cortisol levels. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful, someone else here may know more about adrenals.

Jo

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

dforbreakfast wrote: I’m primarily concerned with healing as quickly as possible, so I wasn’t sure if the sugar in blueberries would outweigh their anti-inflammatory benefits…

You won’t get rid of the inflammation until your gut begins to heal from the Candida overgrowth and then the leaky gut, and it makes no difference how many anti-inflammatory foods you put in your gut at this time; all the blueberries are going to do at this stage is give the Candida a treat of fructose.

If your budget is a problem, I would advise that you not purchase more grapefruit seed extract, curcumin, or freeze-dried garlic. And don’t waste your money on digestive enzymes because you’re already taking Swedish Digestive Bitters which is allowing your body to make its own enzymes. Instead of wasting your money on FOS AND a probiotic, you can take Megaflora probiotics which is a whole-food source of probiotics and therefore will provide food for the beneficial bacteria derived from the probiotic. You can start this when you run out of whatever probiotic you’re now taking. If you still have money left and want to buy something else, purchase some virgin coconut oil instead of the SF722; this not only will benefit the beneficial bacteria and kill the Candida, but it will also help with the inflammation and curing the leaky gut which is causing all of your allergies.

Are you drinking homemade kefir yet? If not, you should be. When you receive the new probiotic, you should take two and then one week later three 50-billion Megaflora probiotic capsules a day, of course this is as soon as you run out of whatever probiotic you have now, meanwhile, you could double up on those.

You should consider replacing hemp seeds with Spirulina as a protein source.

None of your ‘other problems’ will go away until you significantly lower the number of Candida albicans colonies in your gut, and the plan I just gave you will do that.

Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tolerance/intolerance’ is closed to new replies.