to those who have given up coffee…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions to those who have given up coffee…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Naturegirl27 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

cali
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 8

I have been following the forum diet closely for about two months now… all except for drinking one cup of coffee daily. The reason why I am having a hard time with it is because first of all I LOVE coffee, but also I read (before I found this forum) several other Candida diets that allowed coffee, so I hoped that I would be able to get better while holding on to this one little cheat. However, I really don’t want to do anything that is going to keep me from healing. I wonder if there are others out there that struggled with this and how you were able to kick the habit. Did you see a big difference in your healing when you gave it up? Any tips for getting through the withdrawal symptoms? I just need some inspiration to give up this last vice! Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Rasters way of quitting coffee:

1)Reduce to one 12oz coffee per day.
    2)start drinking green tea 3-6 days per week (coffee for other days).
    3)start drinking green tea every day of week and coffee once every few weeks.
    4)start to drink chamomile tea 3-6 days per week and reduce green tea useage.
    5)drink chamomile tea every day of week and green tea when extra tired. Drink coffee once per month (or more if you want) to remember how poisenous it is for the body.

Chamomile tea can perk you up similar to caffeine without the drawbacks.

I feel it can set back your recovery significantly from my experience and its not good for the adrenals. Its pluses is that it is good for the liver and can help clean out the colon.

-raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

100% chicory root coffee is not only caffeine free, but it’s also a big plus to the treatment since it’s an excellent prebiotic which will feed the beneficial bacteria in the intestines which in turn will help the immune system to heal. If you try this coffee, remember that it’s a bit stronger than what you’re probably used to so you may want to make it a bit milder or experiment with it for a few days. For the first week or so you can mix it with regular coffee which would help you to gradually grow used to lower and lower levels of caffeine on a daily basis.

http://www.arcocoffee.com/gourmet-specialty-coffee/chicory-root-roasted-granulated-ground-100-pure-16-oz

Able

Chilli
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 28

I weaned off it for about a week before starting the diet.
    I now drink chicory coffee every morning, which has a similar bitter taste, gives the same satisfaction coffee did after eating my breakfast.

I do miss coffee though, especially when I’m out and I smell it. I have to be honest and say its the one thing I miss the most on this diet! But the chicory does fill the void fairly well 🙂

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Able900 wrote: 100% chicory root coffee is not only caffeine free, but it’s also a big plus to the treatment since it’s an excellent prebiotic which will feed the beneficial bacteria in the intestines which in turn will help the immune system to heal. If you try this coffee, remember that it’s a bit stronger than what you’re probably used to so you may want to make it a bit milder or experiment with it for a few days. For the first week or so you can mix it with regular coffee which would help you to gradually grow used to lower and lower levels of caffeine on a daily basis.

http://www.arcocoffee.com/gourmet-specialty-coffee/chicory-root-roasted-granulated-ground-100-pure-16-oz

Able

1 problem with this, if your used to drinking real coffee this stuff taste worse than low grade instance coffee. I use what I bought blended to 1/ get rid of it 2/ have extra probiotic effect.

Raster, I drink chamomile tea, but its aids relaxation, so is surely not going to perk you up? what about korean ginseng?

Cali, I weaned myself off it in a way like Raster has suggested, but out of everything I miss it the most. Also my sleep is a lot worse now i’ve stopped it.

Whilst I disagree that controlled coffee is toxic for everyone (as it has many benefits as well), nothing i’ve read convinces me that it is going to help this, and/or adrenal fatigue, which a lot of people who have this also suffer from.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

cali wrote: I have been following the forum diet closely for about two months now… all except for drinking one cup of coffee daily. The reason why I am having a hard time with it is because first of all I LOVE coffee, but also I read (before I found this forum) several other Candida diets that allowed coffee, so I hoped that I would be able to get better while holding on to this one little cheat. However, I really don’t want to do anything that is going to keep me from healing. I wonder if there are others out there that struggled with this and how you were able to kick the habit. Did you see a big difference in your healing when you gave it up? Any tips for getting through the withdrawal symptoms? I just need some inspiration to give up this last vice! Thanks!

I stopped coffee before the diet as I was suspected for heart problems and having anxiety attacks which were embarrassing and scary and when my cardiologist said quit coffee I just did cold turkey. I used to have low blood pressure and would get headaches if I didn’t make it to the good quality coffee by 10am, but I am now convinced it’s all in your head. When my cardiologist said to get rid of coffee I quit right away and didn’t have a single headache. Once I started the diet and felt better I didn’t need it anyway as I wake up in the morning just feeling normal and awake. The fatigue should go away and with it the need for caffeine as well.

I do get nostalgic when I smell good coffee and boy am I glad I am not living in US at the time because if I smelled Starbucks I would probably fail pretty quickly.

I am coffee free since November of last year and don’t really miss it for the caffeine but perhaps the good taste as I really enjoyed my coffee before.

The decision is up to you. If you don’t see good progress with your diet, why not get rid of it to get better. Once you are well again, you can probably get away with small amounts of good coffee if you still crave it.

Good luck!

Arijana

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I just found this little list about why you should avoid coffee. #3 is what increases intestinal permeability (leaky gut). #2 is extremely significant if you’ve suffered from any long bouts of stress or still suffer from irritability, aggression, negativity, or anything that habitually sets of a stress response. I don’t know how this varies if your coffee is fake though.

I was drinking decaff before the diet, and I found it a lot less harsh on my stomach. It could depend on the brand, but it might be worth trying to get yourself off the caffeine before giving it up completely. I assume you like black coffee, by the way? I don’t think there’s any milk substitute allowed on the diet.

Tylar
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

Cali, I’ll be starting an anti-candida diet Monday, and coffee isn’t on the chopping block (yet). I think the most important plan – besides being effective – is creating one I can stick with. I only drink coffee first thing in the morning, anyway, then water or herbal tea all day. Coffee gets me out of bed in the morning. It puts me in a good mood. It feels like a treat, and it keeps me “regular.”

Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and stimulates the colon; very important for candida. But pesticides are a HUGE concern with coffee (one of the most treated plants in the world, according to nutritionist Jonny Bowden), so I’ll be switching to organic. At some point, maybe I’ll give it up completely. Time will tell. 🙂

I think at any point in recovery, a person has to weigh what’s working and what isn’t. You’re two months into the program, so maybe you’re ready to let go of coffee (?). At the beginning, I’ll have enough other things to worry about.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Tylar wrote:
    Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and stimulates the colon; very important for candida. But pesticides are a HUGE concern with coffee (one of the most treated plants in the world, according to nutritionist Jonny Bowden), so I’ll be switching to organic. At some point, maybe I’ll give it up completely. Time will tell. 🙂

Jonny Bowden is a great nutritionist and he’s an advocate of low carb diets, so some of his books might help candida sufferers. I’ve learnt an awful lot about food from his writings.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you have leaky gut and drink coffee, you aren’t going to get better, or atleast very quickly (IMHO). It has some benefits and it is good when you are tired starting out the diet, but eventually its good to quit it.

As far as chamomile tea is concerned; it perks you up if you let it steep longer than 8 mins. Before 8mins it makes you tired.

-raster

cali
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 8

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. It gives me hope hearing from others who have done it. I plan to start weaning myself off starting tomorrow when my kids are back in school.

I wonder if ginseng or the ashwaganda that Able mentioned would help with energy levels when I’m feeling exhausted and like I need some caffiene?

I had no idea about chamomile tea perking you up if it was brewed longer, Raster. I’ll give that a try too.

sammcl
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 151

raster wrote: If you have leaky gut and drink coffee, you aren’t going to get better, or atleast very quickly (IMHO). It has some benefits and it is good when you are tired starting out the diet, but eventually its good to quit it.

As far as chamomile tea is concerned; it perks you up if you let it steep longer than 8 mins. Before 8mins it makes you tired.

-raster

Learn something new every day….

Naturegirl27
    Topics: 40
    Replies: 36

I love the taste of coffee too, but to candida sufferers it it out of the question bc of the adrenal fatigue. I enjoy a detow tea everyday… Licorice, chamomile, peppermint, and nettle. I have found it is somewhat stimulating. I went to the healthfood store and just made my own mix. Mmmmm. Also, sucking on cinnamon sticks helped me. Cinnamon is definitly a yang herb. More stimulating than coffee for me, because it doesn’t make you feel like crap 2 to 3 hours after you drink it. Also, you may have been craving coffee because of sugar levels in your body. According to Brigette Mars, author of Addiction-Free Naturally, Most addictions are caused from sugar imbalances. Lemons and lemon water is the perfect tonic for imbalanced sugar. What I did my first couple of weeks before my body got used to the lack of sugar, was to put 3 to 4 slices of lemon in my water, then later that day when the water lost some of the lemon taste, I would just eat the slices. It is really the only form of sugar you can eat in the detox period, and it will give you a boost of energy.

Hope these suggestions were helpful. Naturegirl27

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘to those who have given up coffee…’ is closed to new replies.