Tips on coping with the deprivation of the Candida diet.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Tips on coping with the deprivation of the Candida diet.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

ellerbee
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

“I have, in the past, when I had a yeast infection, used prescription medication for yeast but I feel like with the diet you get at the root of the problem. I have always had a sweet tooth and I knew if I didn’t stop eating so many carbs and sugars, it wouldn’t matter how much medicine I took, I would always have the problem with the yeast. I see it as a way to get healthier too, honestly, this diet is better for all of us in the long run anyway, even people who don’t have candida.”

Stop eating so many carbs and sugars, getting at the root problem- YES. Forcing yourself on a deprivation diet that is not recommended by any medical professional, but only recommended by online enthusiasts with no medical degree in sight- NOT necessarily “better for all of us in the long run anyway”. Not to be a troll, and I can imagine I’ll get kicked out of this forum anyway, but I persist in posting, because I *wish* I had realized earlier that real doctors are not all ignorant, and that most people on the internet do not have a comprehensive understanding of the complex human body. Integrative MDs are great (I wish more were on these forums). You want a deprivation diet, fine. That is your choice. It is NOT the right choice for everyone with candida, and indeed could be harmful for some. Everyone has a different perspective (OK, not on this forum apparently), and that is mine. Healthy (not deprivation) Diet AND medication- BOTH. Not “either/or”.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Ellerbee,
    You seem really angry at the forums diet? Or am I having a little trouble understanding your point?

Most of us have spent a lot of time seeing a lot of different doctors, with no results. I myself have spent almost 20 years seeing over 20 different doctors. I also find it odd that you would sight Dr.Oz as a respectable doctor when he’s really just a television personality.

This diet is working for a lot of people, we are healing and creating a community of people who can depend on each other for support.

Why does this upset you? Surely others deprivation can’t effect you personally.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

At this point, 75 days in, I can honestly say that I don’t feel all that deprived. I feel like I’m on the road to good health.

The only difficult part of sticking on the diet for me is the rest of the world! I can’t leave the house without having garbage shoved in my face – advertisements, fast food joints, the entire grocery minus the perimeter :p Friends making shitty comments, all of that. If it were just up to me, I would be fine just making my veggies and eating at home…I start feeling deprived when I see others having what I can’t have. It’s just a mindset. Sugar isn’t even that tasty, it’s just a drug, you know? It’s good because it gives you a hit and it’s sweet.

Sure, I look forward to the day that I can go out to eat occasionally or have a piece of fruit, but right now, the biggest pain in my ass is just dealing with society and society’s inability to let someone be healthy in peace :p

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’m as far along on the diet as Alex, and at this point, I’d have to say I don’t feel deprived, but rather, occasionally inconvenienced. If not eating a piece of candy or fruit is the worst part of my week, it follows that my life must not be too hard :p

Kag
    Replies: 402

I admit that I do feel deprived somewhat, because I do love sugar and simply carbs. However, most doctors that I have actually told about the diet have agreed that it sounds pretty good for you, mostly vegs, some meat and protein, and a few carbs. More and more doctors are coming over to this way of thinking.

I am perfectly fine with taking medication and being on a healthier diet if that’s what works for you. I don’t have any problem with that. But please do not assume that I have not seen doctor’s about this problem and my diet because I have. I think doctor’s are very smart, however, they could not help me with this problem. The mystatin, the oxistat, thediflucan, the steroidal ointment, the antibiotic ointment, none of it really helped. It temporarily solved the problem, but didn’t get rid of it. I haven’t used any cream on my lips in over a month, I consider this a success. Doctors couldn’t figure it out, they even said so, that is why I am on this diet.

There is nothing wrong with knowing your own body and knowing what it needs. I hope that you glean what you need from this website and try not to take it too seriously.

Mary spencer
    Topics: 0

This is kind of negative, but when I’m feeling really deprived and feeling tempted, I remind myself that the food I want to eat is poison to me. I envision it as literally killing me if I eat it. Kind of harsh, but it works. After discovering I had food allergies to corn, soy and gluten a year ago, I’ve been hardcore at avoiding all of these. So many of my problems cleared up. Sugar is the last and hardest thing to give up but after the first few days its gotten so I don’t crave it anymore. I used to think about my next fix. I was seriously a junkie. Now I have to figure out what will keep me full. I feel famished even after eating a huge green salad, brown rice and chicken. I still haven’t figured that one out yet. I’ve always had trouble feeling full without carbs and sugar. Any thoughts on that?
    Glad you all are here. My hubby is fantastic, but he’s got one of those super immune systems. Eats whatever he wants, never gets sick and stays thin. So it’s a little rough when I’ve had so many issues and he’s eating a tub of cookies.

alexalgebra

When you stop eating bad carbs and sugar (rice is definitely a food to avoid!), your body will adjust accordingly and you will feel full with different foods. I can’t remember the exact reasoning behind this, but it has to do with the candida wanting to be fed and that sort of thing. Someone else can explain it better than me.

Anyway, some foods I like to keep me more full than just veggies are coconut oil, coconut manna, coconut bread, buckwheat, oat bran, and teff.

Mary spencer
    Topics: 0

The diet on this website says brown rice is ok on phase two. Are you all not in agreement with that then? Thanks for your thoughts alexalgebra.

shayfo
    Replies: 668

Mary, a lot of forum members (myself included) are following a diet list stricter than the one on the website, developed by user Able900. You can send him a message to get a copy of it. It does not include brown rice, or any grains besides teff, buckwheat, oat bran, and rice bran.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

oh mary i can relate my hubby runs around eating junk all day with no problems !

Kag
    Replies: 402

Hey Mary, most of us on here are or at least were originally on a very strict form of the diet. That said, I eat a little brown rice here and there, but mostly I try to avoid carbs. whenever I can. It is really up to you and what you think is helping. If you don’t feel like brown rice is hindering you, then keep eating it. If it was me, I would try to limit your intake though as even though it has more fiber, it is still a pretty heavy carb.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

ellerbee;37328 wrote: complete elimination of carbohydrates may not be the best route for healthy weight, brain function, and emotional health

Have you ever actually seen a Candida diet with the complete elimination of carbohydrates? If so, Iā€™d appreciate a link to this
    highly unusual diet.

Thanks, Able

Keya
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 68

Tom1989;32678 wrote: Hi everyone,

I am looking for some tips on how people cope with the overwhelming feeling of deprivation that can result from the food restriction of a typical candida diet.

I would really like to hear what ways people have used to SUCCESSFULLY stick on the candida diet.

Many Thanks,

Tom

These are my tips:

Make your food look beautiful
    It might sound a little bit silly, but I enjoy my food more if it looks nice. I make my oat bran porridge look like a fancy restaurant meal, and I eat it slowly – I try to make an enjoyable experience out of every meal. That way I’m more satisfied and don’t feel the need for sugary cravings.

Make desserts from allowed foods list
    My favorite is avocado-kefir smoothie with pure vanilla extract. I also like to sprinkle my kefir with cinnamon, that way it turns into a dessert.
    Or eat a slice of coconut bread topped with coconut oil and cinnamon after your lunch. It’ll feel as if you had a cake, and you won’t feel the need for the real sweets.

Indulge yourself
    Maybe it’s not the best advice, but sometimes I like to make bigger portions of the food I love. For instance, vegetables baked in the oven, it’s my favorite, and during the weekends I kill myself with it šŸ™‚ Because I know I can lay down after the lunch, I eat more then I really can, if you know what I mean šŸ™‚ And because it’s all allowed, I can’t feel guilty.

Be creative
    I’m always in search for new recipes, and when I have time, I like to experiment. Sometimes it turns out ok, sometimes not, but it’s good to try something new (by new I mean under the boundaries of the allowed foods list, but prepared in a new way). It’s easy to give up when you’re bored by the food you eat, but if you experiment a little bit with cooking, you can find pleasure in the new meals you discover.

Treat yourself with something nice each month
    You can’t have chocolate, you can’t drink alcohol, but who says you can’t buy yourself something nice? Sure, this diet is financially overwhelming already, but I look at it this way: if I buy myself a new piece of clothing/jewellery/etc each month, I’ll feel more satisfied and the chances I try to cheat are smaller. You can also treat yourself with a day in the wellness, massage, manicure, short field trip or something of a kind.

Have a snack with you wherever you go
    The chances you will cheat or give up are higher when you are hungry and there’s no allowed food around you. Always plan your meals, and when you go out, always have a snack with you. It can be coconut bread in a plastic box, kefir in a thermos bottle, salad in a little box…

At parties make sure your glass is always full
    But with mineral water, of course ! šŸ™‚ It’s hard when everyone is drinking and asking questions why aren’t you drinking with them too. Always bring mineral water with you to parties, and always hold a glass. That way you will stop the stupid questions of not drinking and at the same time you psychologically feel like you fit in.

Find new ways of hanging out
    Since I’m on this diet, I don’t feel like partying all the time, and I can’t really go out to dinners and stuff, but I still like to socialize, so I must figure out a way to do it. Going to cinema, to the theatre, exhibitions, bowling, hiking, cycling etc. are all thing you can do without having to drink alcohol or eat something bad. Plan your socializing activities according to your diet, and don’t wait for your friends to call you, rather you invite them to activities so you make sure they are candida-friendly šŸ™‚ You can also invite your friends or family to candida-friendly dinner that you made yourself to show them how tasty this food can be šŸ™‚

Listen to your body
    You must be aware you can’t have the same tempo that you had before the diet. If you’re tired, don’t go to that party, rather make yourself a nice dinner, watch a movie and go to sleep earlier. Sometimes I feel bad because I’m missing parties and yoga classes because I’m tired, but I realized it’s better to give my body a rest than push it.

alexalgebra

Awesome tips!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tips on coping with the deprivation of the Candida diet.’ is closed to new replies.