Tips for creating a nice bread flavour

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Cooking & Preparation Tips Tips for creating a nice bread flavour

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Doggiemama 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

Hi, I have recently made a bread suitable for the diet. I am pleased with the texture, which is a bit like a cake but I find the taste very bland.

I wondered if anyone had some tips for making a better flavour or what people put on it?

The ingredients I am currently using are: buckwheat flour, eggs, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, xantham gum, probiotic yoghurt. (I use buckwheat flour and not coconut flour as I have a food intolerance and can’t tolerate coconut).

Ashlay
    Replies: 57

Hi

I agree the taste can be very bland, however I have started adding xylitol to the ingredients and it makes a huge difference. Also, I have tried squeezing some lemon juice and ginger in to make a lemon and ginger loaf, was quite nice.

Also, slicing the bread And then Toasting/grilling it made it that bit more enjoyable for me too.

CT

I hadn’t thought of adding the lemon and ginger, good idea. Thanks

piloteminuit
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

While you’re adding lemon, don’t forget that lemon juice + milk = buttermilk. 🙂

scant 1 cup dairy (almond milk, yogurt)
    1 TBSP lemon juice
    mix, let sit 5 minutes.

An egg wash, water spritz, or ghee could change the crust up for more variety.

I also love a savory bread, what about adding spices?

Rosemary Bread:
    1 TBSP rosemary
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp Italian seasoning

Curry Bread:
    2 tsp curry
    2 tsp turmeric

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Great ideas!! Thanks!
    Lauren

CT

I love the idea of putting rosemary in the bread. I have a rosemary bush in the garden so will be very easy to do. Thanks

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

I had the buckwheat and it was HORRIBLE! I also used the coconut..didnt care for it either too much. i added some cinnamon and xylitol and it was somewhat better. But this recipe calls for almond flour so i am going to try it next. one of them has to taste good. But i like the sound of this recipe.

Simple Bread

2 ½ cups blanched almond flour (NOT Bob Red Mills)
    ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    3 eggs
    1 tablespoon Stevia/xylitol
    ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
    In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add xylitol and vinegar
    Stir wet ingredients into dry
    Scoop batter into a well greased 6.5 x 4 inch baby loaf pan
    Bake at 300° for 45-55 minutes on bottom rack of oven; until a knife comes out clean
    Cool and serve
    Makes 1 loaf (about 12 slices)

weyn
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 33

I haven’t baked on the diet yet, but the breads I used to bake were actually non yeast breads. The only thing going against the diet would be that I would use some syrup or honey to sweeten, and then lots of dried fruits and nuts in it. So soon, when I start baking breads again (as soon as I’ve tested the flours that I want to use) I’ll just exclude those things that we can’t have on the diet.

Anyway, what I used to use in my bread to get a nice flavor were spices like cumin, anis and fennel (mortal it first). I can’t remember the amount, but you really don’t need to be careful with these spices. It gives a delicious depth to the bread..
    Also, I would mortal some fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, whatever I would have with some olive oil to get the tastes out and put it in the dough.

I used to grate a couple of carrots and mix it into the dough to make it extra juicy, but I’m thinking about grating in zucchini now..

Anyway, I’ll probably start baking within a week, so I’ll come back with some tips when I have the baking more fresh in my head:)

Just a quick question. Is there anything else we could use a sweetener which is not those stevia etc?

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Hey CT, are you having oat bran yet? I hated the pure buckwheat bread as it didn’t have any taste and it is always a bit dry. I am now doing half oat bran flour and half buckwheat flour and it tastes pretty decent. Rosemary is a great addition to it. here is the recipe:

3 cups flour (I do half oat bran flour and half buckwheat)
    1 table spoon baking powder
    sea salt to the taste (I put like half a teaspoon)
    2 tablespoons of EVO (or whatever oil you are using or ghee)
    3 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups of warm water (you may substitute half for milk kefir or yoghurt if you are having it)
    you can add different spices to it: rosemary, sunflower/flax seeds (if you are eating them), garlic powder or garlic salt…

I bake it for about an hour on 180 degrees Celsius.

Arijana

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

Orka, I noticed you using baking powder. Do you buy any that is aluminum free and doesnt have cornstarch?

I think Baking soda has less junk in it that we cant have. I am getting some aluminum free baking soda instead.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tips for creating a nice bread flavour’ is closed to new replies.