thoughts on Kombucha

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions thoughts on Kombucha

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  yeastygut 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I know people have discussed the pro’s and con’s of using kombucha on this diet. I’ve always thought that if it tastes too good to be true then it probably is. Also, that it could trigger more sugar cravings.

Now I’m thinking that the benefits might outweigh the bad.

Does anyone on here include kombucha as part of their protocol? I’d especially be curious if anyone has felt the benefits of it.

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

Anyone? I was thinking of introducing it, but haven’t decided yet. Hope someone will answer who is using it.

Arijana

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

I love kombucha! I drank it a few months ago but it was so expensive at over $4 for a medium bottle. I got a kit at christmas and i just need to call to ger my scoby mailed. I will post results.

sushified
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 31

Used to drink a crap-ton of kombucha. Tried some in the first week of the diet and set me back a couple days. I did use the cranberry version though – even though its very low in sugar it was extremely sweet after giving up sugar. You might want to try to the ginger, that is the only one I ever had that helped with digestion or made me feel ‘good’. It can give you a slight alcoholic kick if you’re sensitive to alcohol.

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

i’ve read the store bought is sugary, and also they changed the formula a few years ago and you can no longer grow a SCOBY from a bottle. I think that means there isn’t enough good bacteria in the bottle. I finished my first batch of homemade kombucha yesterday and it is really tasty. even more than water kefir. it was quite easy to make too. you can order the scobys online. i got a goldfinch scoby on Amazon for i think $20.

Tsunny
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 94

I bought some last week and it was great. 4 grams of sugar though. Health food store employee said it was like Kefir, the bacteria eats up the sugar. This one I bought had Chia seeds with unsweetened cherry juice. I hope it would be okay too since I bought two more bottles today at $2.50 each (small bottle) and on sale

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’m interested in this subject as well. I made my own kombucha for a few years, and my most recent scoby got contaminated last summer (and I haven’t gotten around to getting a new one). Dr Andrew Weil, whose opinion is not always terrible, I guess, came out against using kombucha, since there’s evidence that it can be a mild antibiotic.

BUT, it’s tasty, and other people say it’s great, so I’m curious about more opinions/anecdotes.

Also, if anyone is looking for scoby’s, check craigslist! Maybe it’s a So Cal thing, but they’re always available for free here.

mrs.candida
    Replies: 452

I too am experienced in kombucha making. I would never touch a store bought kombucha, on this diet.

Leakygut, sounds like you are in the best position to tell us if your kombucha will aid in your recovery.
    Please keep us posted.

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

I recently started making kombucha again after not feeding my ‘mother’ for about six months.. my plan was to feed the kombucha it to my family and friends so I could keep the scoby happy and healthy but alas I couldn’t resist the bubbly goodness and I have been drinking a little bit each day after meals. I know of people who would only drink 1/4 cup a day just to get the health benefits, and to me it seems like the amount of sugar in such a small serving is not going to harm you more than eating some cabbage. Also, if you’re making your own you can easily allow it to ferment long enough so there are hardly any sugars left. I have not had any reactions (although I do have a hard time pin-pointing reactions from anything other than carbohydrates), and after I drink it I still get the good ol’ feeling of well-being that I always get after consuming anything fermented.

On a slightly different topic, but still regarding ferments, I have been experimenting with making dosa/idli batter, which is fermented rice and lentils. After eating a few ‘pancakes’ I had zero reactions. I’ve also read that lentils contain a high concentration of molybdenum. Once again, I should mention I am not following the forum’s stricter diet. I eat beans! (gasp!) And they cause me no discomfort. Anyways, right now I’m waiting for an experimental batch of dosa batter to rise. Instead of rice and lentils I used pigeon peas and lentils (high carb foods really get me down). I should know whether my combination works by tomorrow evening at the latest if anyone is interested in the results!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘thoughts on Kombucha’ is closed to new replies.