Thought I'd Introduce myself

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Thought I'd Introduce myself

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

spider
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 9

Hi guys, I am a 20 year old male college student, and have been suffering with candida overgrowth for what I suspect to be several years.

Thinking back on it, I’ve always had strange chronic health problems that normal MD’s can’t seem to help me with. Starting when I was maybe 10 years old, I began contracting chronic Pinworm infections. Every time I took medicine for it, it worked, but came back months later. It wasn’t until I did thorough research and started taking probiotics (at around age 14) that I was able to eradicate my chronic and recurring pinworm infections.

Since middle school, I’ve always had a thick yellow/white coating on my tongue, accompanied by extreme fatigue and yawning. I always thought that perhaps I just wasn’t getting enough sleep, but I believe that the tongue (oral thrush) symptoms and the fact that I used to yawn over 100+ times a day might be because of candida. I even saw a doctor who asked to look at my tongue, and told me it looked like I had the digestion of an 80 year old man who drank 4 Cokes a day…however, I’ve never been a junk-food eater..always have eaten fairly healthy. (he never diagnosed candida though).

Another thing I thought I might mention is that I have suffered with Chronic back-pain for nearly a decade. I have Scheuermann’s Kyphosis in my thoracic spine, and nearly all the discs from my thoracic spine up to cervical spine are degenerated (small, black, and lacking fluid). Although I have been prescribed pain meds for several years, I rarely use them and opt to just endure my pain…I occasionally use 50 mg Tramadol to help me (maybe once a week, although I used to use it every day at certain intervals in my life). Apologies for side-tracking, just included incase it might be relevant.

During high-school, for about 2 years I took a low-dose of antibiotics for my acne….I’m sure this screwed with my gut and created imbalances that probably led to my extreme candida overgrowth…If only I had listened to my parents and not cared so much about a little acne.

During my senior year of high-school, I became sexually involved with a girl who suffered from chronic yeast infections, and began contracting yeast infections myself. Before her, I had had multiple partners and never had any adverse/allergic reaction post-intercoruse. The symptoms with this new partner were redness and unbearable itchiness. When the infection was severe, I would have red bumps on the shaft of my penis as well as scrotum, and even red bumps that would begin running down my leg towards my knee. I went to many doctors who gave me antibiotics, told me I had jock-itch, told me I had hives, gave me dozens of different creams. The only thing that ever worked was Diflucan, but nevertheless, I would receive another infection. Even after I stopped seeing my partner who suffered herself with chronic infections, I myself was contracting these horrible and unbearable infections approximately every three months. I suffered from many sleepless nights, and often thought to myself that I could not continue living with constant scrotal itchiness. I was also furious that absolutely no doctor (MD or dermatologist) could help me. They all seemed like a bunch uneducated fools. I saw some of the top Dermatologists in NYC, who literally told me that I simply “have an angry scrotum.”

I decided enough with the useless doctors, and spent months doing my own research. Not only was I suffering from a severely itchy groin, but I also had a lot of oral thrush, extreme fatigue/brain fog, moderate acne, and horrible dandruff. I also suffered from extreme nausea as well, especially post-meal, and anxiety. I could tell my immune system was/still is somewhat weak, as I tend to always get what’s going around. Last year I had 4 throat infections that required antibiotics.

Finally after months of research, I decided with 100% certainty that candida overgrowth was my problem. In particular, it was the fact that I took antibiotics for years combined with extensive binge-drinking, that really caused me problems. Freshman year of college I joined a fraternity, and drank heavily about 4 times a week. By heavy, I mean typically between 10-20 drinks followed by blacking out and hangovers that lasted until the following evening…I was on my way to becoming an alcoholic I believe, and was known as that guy who is always hammered when he is out.

After my freshman year was when I became certain Candida was my problem. I took it upon myself to cut out sugar and all grains/high starch veggies, to cut my drinking down, and I begin rotating natural anti-fungals. Since then, I have not experienced the horrid scrotal itchiness, and I have generally felt much better. I do however still have mild itchiness in my groin area, and I believe this to be in part because I have not given up alcohol completely. At one point, for 3 months this year, I not only followed the candida-diet, but I also gave up alcohol completely. It was during this time that about 90% of my symptoms were gone, I felt more energetic, my head was clearer, my dandruff gone, my libido was strong, and my scrotum regained a skin-like color instead of the color of a firetruck.

Recently I have been slipping up and drinking alcohol on the weekends. When I drink, instead of getting hammered and blacking out on multiple beers/mixed drinks, I sip slowly on Chopin (potato vodka) and seltzer. I’ve heard potato vodka was ok, but for me personally, I notice a discoloration of my tongue the next day, and I honestly just feel worse. It’s really hard being in a fraternity and not drinking heavily/at all, but I know if I ever want to cure myself, this is what I need to do.

This summer I plan on following the protocol. I want to feel more energetic, think more clearly, regain my old libido, eradicate my itchiness, clear up my tongue, and BEAT CANDIDA!

Thanks for reading, any comments or advice are much appreciated.

– Spider

spider

bump

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hey spider!

The protocol on the forum here has worked some absolute miracles for me in just four months. I’m not cured, still have a ways to go, but I am feeling SO MUCH better than I was! I had a little slip a month ago where I overextended myself and it really brought me down for the last few weeks, but I’m getting back to where I was.

My best advice is to follow the diet to the letter, don’t cheat, keep your spirits up as best as you can, and take it ridiculously easy.

Also, quit drinking. It’s just going to prolong things. Eventually, you will be able to drink again in moderation (other people can tell you more about that than me; I haven’t touched alcohol in about six years because I’m a recovering alcoholic), but for now, it’s best to just forget about it. Hopefully your frat brothers will support you in being a better, healthier you!

spider

I have had luck in the past following a strict diet that includes organic grass-fed meat. I’m a big proponent of eating paleo and I’m a fan of Mark’s Daily Apple, so I will try to eat a paleo/candida diet.

I’ll also cut out all grains, sugar, fruit, alcohol etc as well as use and rotate potent probiotics/antifungals. I’m very strong-willed so I don’t think cheating will be too much of a problem – my only weak spot is alcohol which I definitely need to overcome.

Also, what do you mean by taking it easy? I’m a basketball player, so I exercise and workout several times a week.

Glad to see you’re doing much better!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Even though I don’t think alcohol feeds candida it does damage the liver which is a very important organ you need for your general health. I used to be like you when I was a freshman, it is pretty normal. As you get older, drinking will become unimportant so its only something that influences you for a decade or so. Eventually you may realize that the friends you are around only care about getting messed up and not many discuss other things.

If you exercise a lot you may want to reduce or eliminate this while on the candida diet; you need to build your immune system and not your muscle mass. Most people experience major fatigue while on the diet and so if you work out a bunch, it simply makes it worse by draining your adrenals which you need for healing. Light walks are an ok form of exercise (and other things such as yoga, tai-chi, karate, etc). Streneuous draining exercise is generally not a good idea.

-raster

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

What raster said, LOL.

I take walks sometimes; I live in a walkable neighborhood near a park. I also take yoga once a week. I used to take dance classes, but i’ve been off of them since December and I think that was a wise decision. I can’t wait until I have the energy for them again, though! Hopefully this summer 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Thought I'd Introduce myself’ is closed to new replies.