Think I need a Kefir For Dummies Book..

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Think I need a Kefir For Dummies Book..

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  serenedream 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Prior to this website and my candida symptoms, I did not even know what kefir was. I did buy Lifeway (from store) to get a feel for what it looks like — and should look like, taste like, etc. I’ve had some trial and error making it over the last week, and I wonder if I am doing it correctly.

Each time, I am making sure it ferments 24 hours. I used cold skim milk initially, so I then let it ferment longer, and it got too thick and curd-like. I am trying out right now with 2 percent milk.. I hope this batch comes out okay.

How many cups of milk do you guys usually add to yours for daily kefir-making? Does it increase every day? Does it still resemble milk in the liquid sense, different with taste and smell?

I swear I need someone to post a picture to ensure I am making it correctly. I am just fearing that I am somehow messing up the fermentation so when I drink it, I may be doing possible harm. Last night, I had my first glass of what I considered to be the only drinkable batch. A few hours later before bed, I got diarrhea (sorry!)

I am going to check out you-tube videos to see if I can get a frame of reference. Everyone swears its so easy, so why am I stressing out about making it right?!

Sorry, had to vent. Hope you all are having a wonderful Monday.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I know what you mean I’m having trouble with my new kefir grains. If I had to guess what was going on with yours I would say that you missed the window between curds and buttermilk consistency. I’m not sure how narrow that is.

I hope someone chimes in here, we need a resident kefir expert.

jay253
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 43

once is gets curd like, is there a greenish liquid? you can mix it in if you want a thin kefir you mix it up anyway before you stain out the grains then refrigerate it will thicken some then you whip it up to make it creamy. or you strain the whey with cloth or silk screen to make yogurt or cream cheese and this removes more sugar also, then you can add back water or nut milk to thin it. also you can second ferment! strain of the grains at 12hrs then dont refridgerate till it gets the thickness you want and you can seal the jar too to make it bubbly. i dont refrigerate it at all, i add to a container kefir thats thin to the older and drink out of it sometimes i had fresh milk with no grains if its to thick and the next day its all good you can make kefir from kefir aleast 4 times i did it with store bought once, while i waited for my grains, when you re ferment is when you add flavors so it dont bother the grains and the kefir will eat the sugar like lemon berries coconut water

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

refrigerate it will thicken some then you whip it up to make it creamy

What do you mean? The kefir isn’t creamy? Then you whip it? In my opinion kefir and milk are always creamy at any stage.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,

I’m not a kefir expert but have lots of experience with making it. The rationof kefir to milk should be 20 to 1. example 1 teaspoon kefir grains to 20 teaspoons of milk. I l ive in south florida and it’s a bit warmer here most of the time. My kefir will ferment is 12 hrs. I use regular milk. I have tries maing 2% and didn’t care for it. I think its a matter of taste. Your kefir should always be thicker and creamy after fermentation. Refrigeration of you kefir may increase the thickness but only slightly. The temperature where you are is important. I let mine set out on the counter. Some say to put in the cupboard. Experiment with your kefir. It’s a wonderful experience.
    Coconut milk is a nice change. I like it . You make it the same way. It will be more creamier after fermentation. It takes longer to ferment almost 24 hrs. I use it in making salad dressings or add it to a smoothie.Culturesfor health.com has lots of good info and videos to watch also. They don’t mind answering questions. The grains I got from them are good.
    Make sure you have a cup about an hour in the morning before breakfast and at bedtime. These are supposed to be the best time to get the best nutrition from the kefir.
    Hope this helps,
    Miriam

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. I took some pictures of my latest batch mishap.. I forgot I created this post, so made new one to post them. You can find that here:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst7081_What-am-I-doing-wrong–kefir.aspx

Still haven’t seemed to figure it out to get the right consistency!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Think I need a Kefir For Dummies Book..’ is closed to new replies.