Think Doctor MisDiagnosed Me

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Think Doctor MisDiagnosed Me

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  candida_sucks 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Christi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hi,

Been having some GI issues since 2007 after being prescribed Augmentin by my doc for an infection. Lots of bloating and constipation. Been checked every which way, blood, MRI, endo, colonoscopy, ultrasound, GI series. They never really found a problem, so lived with it. Except for a period of one year from 2008-2009, when it just went away, it is more or less always around.

Fast forward to April this year. After being on Dicloxicillian for another issue earlier this year, I started getting a bit of dry mouth, but nothing that bothered me, would just wake up in the morning and a bit drier. A month later I wake up one morning with hand stiffness, mostly my right. This continued, so saw my doc, he referred me to Rheumatologist. Blood work up in June very barely hint of Sjogren’s according to her. She decides to put me on a low risk med, Minocycline, 100mg daily. She claimed it has been shown to help rheumatic issues and less dangerous than Plaquenil, and she has been using it for 20 yrs. At first nothing, but then I start getting worse instead of better, so had to cut my dose in half and things normalized, but still getting slowly worse.

I have been doing research online and came across something that indicated Candidas can mimic Sjogren’s symptoms. Things started to make sense to me. All the antibiotics in the past, plus now, the doc puts me on another antibiotic and I get much worse. So I look into anti Candida supplements. I stop the Mino and start a supplement by Now Foods called Candida Clear that the person at the health food store recommended. Next day, way worse! I am thinking maybe a herx? I don’t know much about this stuff so figured I would become a member of this forum and learn what I need to do to get better.

Does this story sound plausible, the candida and my symptoms? Wish someone would chime in and steer me in the right direction. I am pretty ignorant at this point on the right supplements and probiotics. Thanks.

Christi

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Christi,

Well we all have candida in our bodies, it all depends on whether its pathogenic or non-pathogenic. Antibiotics can cause candida to become pathogenic because a lot of your beneficial gut flora has been destroyed by the antibiotics…so there is not any checks and balances within the gut when this occurs.

Also it sounds like you have a digestive disorder if you are constipated. Don’t worry, most american’s are constipated…its pretty normal.

At the very least, it sounds like you have a gut flora disorder because the candida clear is killing something in your gut that has likely overgrown. We don’t know what is in your gut, but you could have an overgrowth of h.pylori, SIBO (bacteria in small intestine), parasites, strept, etc.

If you want proper testing, I would look at the following link:
    http://www.candidaplan.com/store/Candida-Testing/

The results need to be looked at by a naturopathic or regular doctor.

Here is a candida symptoms list:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6305_100-candida-symptoms-list.aspx

In my opinion, I wouldn’t continue with the antifungals until you come up with a treatment and detox plan to get better. Whatever you are killing in your gut is expelling toxins when it dies and these need to be detoxed as much as possible in order to feel good. Otherwise this can damage the liver and kidneys which you will need to heal at a later time. Also, if you do the diet and make a plan…plan on a 6-18 month recovery time to get better from this.

A naturopathic doctor is likely a better doctor to use for digestive and GI disorders…western doctors only prescribe medication and don’t really do anything else. They don’t prevent/treat disease (only the symptoms) and don’t treat gut disorders in general.

-raster

Christi

Hi Raster …

Thank you for responding to my problem. I have basically been doing the candida diet for a few months without really knowing. I have eliminated all sugars and the bad carbs as part of a healing diet. I have had blood workups, no pylori or anything found. Had a stool test recently, nothing according to the conventional GI doc. I would love to go to a ND, but they do not take insurance, and they are not cheap. I currently cannot afford this expense (husband out of work), 2 kids too. I have to try to help myself as much as possible, so that is why I turned to a forum like this to become more knowledgeable in order to do so 🙁

Christi

PS … I also take supplements, ie NAC, Tumeric, Milk Thistle, plus others for detox/inflammation. So I think that area is pretty well taken care of. If you have suggestions of things to add, please make them, that is what I am here for.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Some naturopath’s do take insurance (FYI), maybe not all in your state, or maybe your insurance doesn’t have the coverage…

What I would do to detox, if you can do it, is to sweat out the toxins by doing a steam room, sauna, hot tub, jacuzzi, etc. Your skin is the bodies largest organ and is the best organ to use for detoxing.

The supplements that worked best for me include SF722 undecenoic acid which causes candida to morph back into the non-pathogenic version and HMF neuro which is the only human derived probiotic on the market.

I would consider rotating between HMF neuro and other high strength probiotics in time as you introduce them. Keep in mind these cause die-off as well, but they will make you feel better typically in the long run.

Also, if you can make homemade kefir, this will greatly benefit your recovery. This should not be used as a replacement for probiotics though in my opinion…use it in conjunction with probiotics.

If you are still eating a lot of starches, molds, sugars, etc. this can set back your recovery and feed the yeast while you are killing it. For instance, rice, corn, carrots, potatoes should not be consumed on the diet because of their high starch content (which converts to sugar). Nuts contain molds. Fruits and certain veggies contain high levels of sugars.

Here is a post about why you shouldn’t take multi-antifungal products and why you shouldn’t rotate through too many antifungals throughout your treatment. It’d be best to take every single antifungal in your candida clear product seperately because each one is strong by itself.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst4662_Rotating-Antifungals–Why-we-SHOULDNT-do-it.aspx

also check out this post about detox protocols:

http://drlwilson.com/detox_protocols.htm

-raster

Christi

Hi Raster,

Thank you very much for this info. I can implement these into what I am currently doing. Thanks for the links too!

Christi

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

Christi;49433 wrote: Hi Raster …

Thank you for responding to my problem. I have basically been doing the candida diet for a few months without really knowing. I have eliminated all sugars and the bad carbs as part of a healing diet. I have had blood workups, no pylori or anything found. Had a stool test recently, nothing according to the conventional GI doc. I would love to go to a ND, but they do not take insurance, and they are not cheap. I currently cannot afford this expense (husband out of work), 2 kids too. I have to try to help myself as much as possible, so that is why I turned to a forum like this to become more knowledgeable in order to do so 🙁

Christi

PS … I also take supplements, ie NAC, Tumeric, Milk Thistle, plus others for detox/inflammation. So I think that area is pretty well taken care of. If you have suggestions of things to add, please make them, that is what I am here for.

While most doctors only treat symptoms, as Raster explained, there are holistic medical doctors that are trained to know about yeast overgrowth and will treat people for it. You just have to know where to find them. I used this link to find one near me:

Functional Medicine Practitioner Search

Since you mentioned Sjogren’s, here is an article about autoimmune disease written by such a holistic doctor. It mentions Sjogren’s, and yeast overgrowth was determined to be one of the causes of that patient’s symptoms:

AutoImmune Disease Article

Cheers,
    CS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Think Doctor MisDiagnosed Me’ is closed to new replies.