There is hope!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions There is hope!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

sunshine33
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 17

Hi everyone,

I haven’t been on this forum in well over a month, and it’s because I’ve been doing great! I started treating my candida Aug. 1. The first month I was very strict with the diet, but ate beans and nuts right away instead of waiting as advised on this forum. I alternated antifungals — usually taking two at any given time and changing them up every four days or so. And I took a lot of vitamins and supplements. The second month I reintroduced apples and goat cheese, and I started alkalyzing therapy and making my own kefir. The third month, I stopped taking all antifungals, alkalyzing therapy and even my probiotic, since I was drinking homemade kefir every day. That month, I reintroduced all fruits and cow’s milk cheese. Then introduced baked goods made with alternative flours and agave. And then alcohol.

And now, three months after I started my treatment, I’m eating pretty normally and having no symptoms whatsoever. No rashes, no brain fog, no painful bloating. I still choose whole foods over anything processed, and if it’s processed I look for something with whole ingredients. No preservatives, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors or flavors, or anything I don’t understand. I completely cut out gluten for my entire treatment, and I had it for the first time last week without any issues. But after reading up on gluten, and wheat in particular, I think I’ll continue to stay away from it. And I will never return to my habit of drinking diet soda — I think that played a huge role in my candida.

I know there are certain members of this discussion board who disagree with some of the steps I took to cure my candida, such as alkalyzing therapy, certain antifungals and reintroducing foods when I did. But for me, it’s what worked. Everyone is different, and what works for some may not work for others.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. When I started watching this forum, I noticed how few people ever posted a success story. And that was really disheartening. But now I’m living proof — you CAN beat this!!

89Mirageman
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 55

Congrats! Thanks for posting this too, its an inspiration for the rest of us that are still suffering in one way or another. A light at the end of the tunnel lol.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Good to hear about your success…I don’t think many people come back to say how good they are doing.

I am getting there as well, but I know I had it real bad and that by continuing to be a smoker, this will cause problems. I am cutting back and once I quit smoking I bet I will pretty much be there.

What alkalizing therapy did you do?

-Raster

sunshine33

Hi raster,

Check out the Earth Clinic website — they have some interesting alternative therapies for candida and lots of other conditions. I spent a couple of days reviewing the site and getting ideas of what might work for me. My alkalyzing therapy came from there. It’s really simple: for about a month, I had 1/2 tsp baking soda with the juice of a lemon or ACV in a glass of water, twice a day. I forgot to mention it before, but during that time I also took chlorella tablets, spirulina powder and cilantro to help detox heavy metals. You can learn more about those on that site as well.

I don’t think alkalyzing therapy is for everyone. But for someone like me who drank at least three, and usually six or eight, diet sodas containing aspartame, I think my system was too acidic. And for anyone about to tell me that candida thrives in a basic environment, I wasn’t trying to make my system basic. Rather, I needed it to be LESS acidic. Maybe it was all coincidence, but I started to feel better almost immediately after I started the alkalyzing therapy. That was when the fatigue went away and the bloating became a much rarer occurrence. And then after a month I just felt like I didn’t need it anymore, so I stopped. Which kind of makes sense — my system was too acidic, I did the therapy to make it less acidic, and after I’d been doing it awhile my new diet kept my pH balance in check and I didn’t need it anymore.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

sunshine33 wrote: And now, three months after I started my treatment, I’m eating pretty normally and having no symptoms whatsoever.

I hate be the one to put a damper on the ‘extraordinary good news,’ Sun, but let’s be sure we have the details correct before a lot of members start feeling like it’s their fault if they can’t cure their infestation in just three months.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but according to my notes, when you first came on the forum on August 22, you told us you were on week five of the Candida diet, which means the date you started the treatment was around July 18.

As far as a Candida infestation is concerned, at the time I was sure that, if what you told us was correct, yours was a fairly mild yeast infection rather than a ‘full-blown’ Candida albicans infestation. This was because of your symptoms, which you told us were some stomach cramps and bloating but you added that these went away five days into the diet. You also said that you had a ‘heat rash’ which also took five days to clear up. And on the same day you stated, “I’ve been feeling mostly incredible.” That was the day you joined the forum, 11 weeks ago. You did tell us about another ‘itchy’ skin problem that you had experienced previously before joining the forum, but apparently this was already cleared up as well by August 22 when you joined.

Sorry for the details, but I’m only going over this so that the members understand that when you joined the forum you were in pretty good condition as far as a Candida infestation was concerned. I just don’t want them to be upset with themselves if they can’t do the same with their full-blown case of Candida albicans, leaky gut, allergies, severe indigestion problems, and God knows what else.

I want to commend you for sticking with the protocol without failure, this is exactly what has to be accomplished in order to cure a bad yeast problem or a Candida infestation either one. As I keep telling the members, a cure is definitely reachable. There are several on the forum (some no longer come around very often) who have managed to do just that.

Congratulations.
    Able

sunshine33

Wow, Able — are you trying to take away hope for everyone on this forum?

I’ve had ringworm off and on since 2002. For six years straight I had a circle on my arms that never went away. I tried every topical cure I could come across, but nothing worked for six years.

I’ve always been extremely active, but in June I became exhausted, barely able to function. Before candida, I was the kind of person who rollerbladed 30 miles after work and then came home and helped my neighbor move. In mid-June, I couldn’t even stand up in the sun for five minutes without becoming tired and nauseous. I’d get home from work at 6, be in bed by 6:30, and sleep until my alarm went off at 7:30 the next day.

I developed what appeared to be heat rash, which I only ever had once in my life — when I was pregnant. This “heat rash” stayed for 4 1/2 weeks and only disappeared with a hefty course of antifungals and following a variation of the anti-candida diet. That’s either a yeast infection or an allergy, both of which are caused by the candida.

My stomach cramps and bloating were excruciating, and they continued after I started my treatment. If you recall, they resurfaced weeks later, and at that point were pretty much a constant every day for two weeks and then off and on until my third month. And these were not normal “cramps” — my stomach was so distended I looked 5 months pregnant, and I’d wake up the next day with the sides of my stomach aching from being so stretched out.

I don’t mean to be defensive, but I’m not trying to make others feel bad that they aren’t cured in three months. I don’t think anyone reading my original post would have had that takeaway. Instead, I’m trying to give them hope that it can happen.

And in addition, I’m trying to make them question what they read on this forum. There is one “voice of authority” here — you — and your case is unique to you, as is mine to me. We all came to this condition from different places, and it disappoints and offends me that you have pointed out my so-called wrongdoings and tried to make my condition seem like a minor yeast infection — and tried to force your opinions on the other members of this forum, belittling and patronizing them for trying something new or undertaking the therapy that was prescribed to them by a trained holistic medicine practitioner. You have a lot of knowledge about candida, and it’s wonderful that you take the time to share that with others. But please allow for a difference of opinion and a difference in how our bodies work to heal from this insidious infection.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

I am happy for all truths, all the posts here, as they are. Only the facts count not how the little me, I and mine are interpreting the facts. Our egos are always hurt and angered when we feel misunderstood but that is an illusion.

If we stick only to the facts and make a point there we will have no problems with the truth. What is – is and the rest is interpretation. Sunshine33 I am happy that you feel good. Able I am happy that you put a frame around the story.

all the best to you all
    Thomas

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks so much for posting this positive story. It will no doubt give many of us a boost… I’ve done my cleanse and about 2 weeks of stage 1 so your timing was perfect to spur me on! My plan is to hit this thing hard… do everything I can to get it under control and then to maintain that for the long term. I fully plan to enjoy a wide selection of “normal” foods into the future with the odd glass of wine… when I say “normal” I haven’t eaten breads, cakes, most carbs, most sugars for years anyway so won’t miss them. But I love cooking, eating out (I live in the “Gourmet Capital of Ireland” so am spoilt for choice with 20 fantastic seafood restaurants on my doorstep!) and a few drinks.

Your post gives me the strength to continue towards that aim.

Thanks again,

Lucy

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Quote: Wow, Able — are you trying to take away hope for everyone on this forum?

Reply: Come on, Sunshine, please don’t give me that, I’ve read enough of your post to know that you’re smart enough to understand exactly what I was doing. I was trying avoid giving the readers false hope because I know that most of our readers have more than a mild case of Candida albicans. Again, you knew exactly what I was doing with my post, so please don’t pretend you didn’t.

Quote: I’ve always been extremely active, but in June I became exhausted, barely able to function. Before candida, I was the kind of person who rollerbladed 30 miles after work and then came home and helped my neighbor move. In mid-June, I couldn’t even stand up in the sun for five minutes without becoming tired and nauseous. I’d get home from work at 6, be in bed by 6:30, and sleep until my alarm went off at 7:30 the next day.

Reply: Perhaps if you had explained more of this in your original post, we would have had a better idea of your situation. But I must say, that paragraph has a much different tone than your first post on the forum did, in that post you also mentioned that you believed some of the problems stemmed from a new job.

Quote: I developed what appeared to be heat rash, which I only ever had once in my life — when I was pregnant. This “heat rash” stayed for 4 1/2 weeks and only disappeared with a hefty course of antifungals and following a variation of the anti-candida diet. That’s either a yeast infection or an allergy, both of which are caused by the candida.

Reply: The fact that you had the rash for 4 1/2 weeks doesn’t change the fact that it went away five days into the diet, which sounds like it could just as easily have lasted for a total of five days instead of 4 1/2 weeks had you started the treatment in the beginning, which, again suggests that the problem wasn’t severe.

Quote: My stomach cramps and bloating were excruciating, and they continued after I started my treatment. If you recall, they resurfaced weeks later, and at that point were pretty much a constant every day for two weeks and then off and on until my third month.

Reply: And I also remember that we agreed your stomach problems at that time stemmed from the coconut oil. You wrote, “I’ve been taking Caprylic acid since Saturday when I stopped with the coconut oil. No side effects with that.”

All I have to go by are your own words, now as well as the posts that you wrote the first few weeks on the forum. This is a quote from your post on August 22: “My stomach problems went away about five days into the diet, and haven’t returned.” When you wrote that you had been on the diet for approximately four weeks, and the problems didn’t return until you started the coconut oil, at which time I told you that you probably couldn’t tolerate the oil since some people simply can’t, and you stopped taking it.

Quote: I don’t mean to be defensive, but I’m not trying to make others feel bad that they aren’t cured in three months. I don’t think anyone reading my original post would have had that takeaway. Instead, I’m trying to give them hope that it can happen.

Reply: I understand what you were trying to do, Sunshine. Raster and I both do the same thing every day. But we won’t allow ourselves to give them unreasonable hope, and again, and again I know that this was not your intention. The point is I’ve seen many people suffering from severe Candida infestations read posts such as yours and immediately assume that, if they follow your protocol, then the same thing is going to happen to them. But most of them will not stick completely to the protocol the way you and I did, yet at the same time they start wondering why they cannot reach the same cure in the same amount of time as someone else did. Not everyone will do this, of course, but if even one member blames themselves needlessly for the fact that they weren’t cured in a particular time, and therefore gives up out of frustration, then that’s one too many. And I know that lots of sufferers of Candida do this as I’ve seen it happen many times.

Quote: And in addition, I’m trying to make them question what they read on this forum. There is one “voice of authority” here — you… and your case is unique to you.”

Reply: That’s a ridiculous statement, and if you’ll read my posts, you’ll know that it’s simply incorrect. First of all, Raster answers as many posts as I do, and he and I do not always agree with treatments, but the readers listen to him as well.
    And my “voice” is not the authority here. I do not give advice or answer questions without having already studied the research to back it up. My answers by no means stem from my own experience as my personal experience with Candida is as limited as yours. But I have taken time to study the scientific research thoroughly, and if I need to, I’ll search through additional research, even if it means going to a library, before answering a question.

Quote: and tried to force your opinions on the other members of this forum.

Reply: Force? So when I quote a particular university’s year-long study with Candida albicans, then I’ve forced my opinion on the readers? I see.

Quote: “belittling and patronizing them for trying something new.”

Reply: Do you have any idea how many times I’ve written to a member, “All you can do is try it and see what happens.” Take some time to read the posts, please.

Sunshine, deep down I guess I knew you would take my post in the worst light, but was hoping I was wrong. You’ve taken it as my attempt at making you look ‘bad’ … but in reality I think you know that this is not at all what I was trying to do. Still, I will not take the chance that even one member with a severe Candida infestation, allergies, leaky gut, etc. assumes that, if he or she follows your protocol, they will be completely cured in just three months. Your case, like mine, was rare and somewhat mild; otherwise there is no way either of us would have reached a complete cure in the time it took.

I won’t be debating this again with you, as I think we’ve both said it all and know where each of us stands on this matter.

My sincere apologies if you actually believe that my post was meant to belittle or lessen your efforts and success with a cure.

Sincerely, Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I don’t think there is any reason to get angry/upset at anyone; I think Able was mostly just trying to clarify that while you are a great success story, in many situations it is a much more difficult road to travel to recovery.

For instance, some folks are like Thomas, who have had candida for a very long time (maybe most of his life). I myself have had it probably for 7-10 years or longer. The recovery time for me and Thomas will be longer than 3 months before we can have regular foods again and feel normal.

While you already stated this sunshine; I think its great to clarify once again that everybody’s body is very different and we all have different causes of candida overgrowth. We all have different symptoms and levels of severity, diets, and habits.

To hear a success story is great, but we all have to got to take into context that you are one person healing rapidly; for many of us it could be a hard struggle.

I appreciate you sharing your story and it’s pretty much the first person I’ve heard who has beaten it…

-Raster

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘There is hope!’ is closed to new replies.