The lesser of two "nasties"?!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions The lesser of two "nasties"?!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Munoz 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Able,

I was prompted by Jackie’s recent experience to ask something I’ve been wondering for a while… before I started the diet my baby was in hospital twice for 48 hours – no warning, no time to prepare and thankfully nothing more serious than a virus and an over cautious doctor. Both times I walked in in the clothes I was wearing and nothing in my bag in terms of snacks for myself or him. In the hospital they obviously looked after his changing & feeding needs but I wasn’t asked if I had a mouth on me!

There was a little magagine shop that just stocked fruit, nuts, crisps (chips), popcorn and candy/ chocolate… fruit juice & sodas. And a very small canteen that served coffee/ tea, patries/ scones and sandwiches. Even before this diet started I was eating little or no carbs or sugar as I knew they just didn’t suit me. Even an apple would give me a sugar rush & dip. So… I bought water, nuts & popcorn from the shop, and a banana and a coffee from the canteen… later on I bought a plain scone and put real butter on it as I hadn’t slept and felt that was the least sugary thing on offer. Hubby brought in hard boiled eggs, pate/rye crackers, cheese later in the day so at least I had some sustenance.

BUT… if the same happened now, what would I do? What would be the lesser of those evils? (I didn’t want to post this before in case people might see it as a green light to eat certain things any time a minor emergency hit).

I’m thinking I would probably buy some nuts and take the hit on the mould content. I know you hate corn (and all it stands for!!) but would a plain bag of salted popcorn set me back too much? Would plain salted potato chips be better? At this stage I could probably stomach an apple (BUT I couldn’t guarantee if it was a granny smith, and I’d also be slow to try something new in those circumstance in case I went a bit funny!). A banana as a once off or would that be way off the scale? If I could get my hands on a bag of chips (as in, your fries? But nice chunky homemade ones wrapped in newspaper… no vinegar obviously). Should I have things that I know will probably cause a reaction over the coming days (itchy skin, sore knuckles, stiff hands) but that won’t have a horrible instant reaction (headache, fatique, nausea).

I know hubby could bring me Kefir, boiled eggs, avocado, lemons, sardines, buckwheat crackers… This has prompted me to put a tin of sardines and some buckwheat crispbread in the car glove compartment! I usually have an avocado & lemon & crackers in my handbag but its “murphys law” that I wouldn’t on that particular day!

I know this might seem a little odd as a question and I don’t want to tempt fate. As my mother would say “don’t put your mouth on it!” (as in, don’t say it in case you bring it on!) but I also have to be practical & sensible. As a mother I’m prone to finding myself in funny situations so any thoughts & suggestions would be much appreciated!

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Lucy.

“I was prompted by Jackie’s recent experience… if the same happened now, what would I do?”

I try to stay prepared for being ‘caught without my food’ at any given time. There are several items that I can eat at a moment’s notice in most cases. I always keep several Granny Smith apples on hand for example; I have them in my office, my gym locker, and of course always in my kitchen, and I take a bag when I go to the lake for the weekend. I also have coconut bread at my home, and if I should need to leave rather quickly (but obviously not in a real emergency), I would perhaps take a moment to cut a large section of the bread off, wrap it, and carry it with me ‘just in case.’

Then there’s another food item available here in the states that I use as my go-to snack in these cases. Mind you that this is definitely a test food, and I didn’t eat it until my symptoms had all but vanished. It’s called Millet & Flax Chips made by Sami’s Bakery located in Florida. These chips are baked, and they contain “Millet Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Ground Flax, Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Non Aluminum Baking Powder, Water Cultured Brown Rice Flour and Ascorbic Acid.” Being the guy I am, I normally eat an entire bag of these when substituting them for a meal, and have never received a reaction or problem of any type. I haven’t mentioned this before because I was worried that some people who didn’t need to be eating it yet would be too tempted to try it.

I don’t know if they ship outside the USA, but I just emailed the company for information concerning that. I was going to telephone the offices, but unfortunately they’re closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Outside of these things I’ve mentioned, I think the next safest bet would likely be almonds, unsweetened almond or coconut milk; which reminds me, you could also add a bag of unsweetened coconut chips for emergencies. The only problem I have with almonds is if you purchase them in a package from the machines they’re usually salted, and it isn’t normally sea salt that’s used, although I’ve seen at least one brand that uses sea salt. Of course the problem with salt in this fashion is that you don’t know whether they used regular table salt contain Dextrose, but if they use salt containing iodine, then it’ll also contain Dextrose.

Bananas, chips, and popcorn I wouldn’t touch with a 30-foot pole, but you already knew that probably. Bananas are higher in sugar content than lots of other fruits, and I for one will never eat potatoes or corn again so it’s a little difficult for me to tell others to go ahead and enjoy them.

This link may help you in choosing convenient fruits.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

Really sorry this wasn’t more help, Lucy.
    Able

Lucylu

Thanks Able and yes it was a help! It also reminded me that I would have at least a few minutes notice before having to leave the house and so could raid the fridge & cupboard. I always have icepacks in the freezer so could easily stock a little cooler bag that would last overnight. And hubby is fairly well educated on this now so could also grab all the essentials if needed.

Thanks again, it’s put my mind at ease at least. And thanks for trying to phone that company about the chips. I’d definitely order some to have on standby. The problem from ordering from american companies isn’t always the shipping, but you have to use an american credit card, which I obviously don’t have.

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Good morning, Lucy.

Oddly enough, I received a response from Sami’s Bakery tonight – even though they were closed, according to their website. Anyway, they wrote that they don’t ship overseas. But there’s another way you can order foods and products from the US as long as the products can be received in Ireland or the UK (if I remember correctly you have a friend there). That’s by using a forwarding company; a reputable forwarding company in the US is “NY Box,” I’ve used it a few times myself. You can check the company out if you want to. http://www.nybox.com/

If you open an account with NY Box, they’ll give you a private address in NY which is the address you’d use as your “Ship to” information for your order, and NY Box would forward the order to you in Ireland, and of course you’d pay NY Box for shipping the order to you. But you probably knew all of that.

Since you don’t have an American credit card, I bet you could send a certified check for payment to most companies in America since they save around 4% per sale if a credit card is not used as payment. Anyway, something to think about.

Able

Lucylu

Thanks Able, great idea. I’ll certainly do that. It’s a lot cheaper for us to buy from the states in general… things like CDs, DVDs, books, so i order from Amaone US rather than UK every now and then when I have a big enough order to justify the shipping costs. Also I love GAP jeans and they’re much more expensive here so that would another way of buying them online.

Cheers m’dears!

L

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I have thought about your question a little lucy, and agree with many of the things able has stated.

My only addition is that I feel that its best to go to as natural food sources as possible when you cheat. As long as its grown from the ground, lacks food processing, and is low in table sugar/salt…it won’t cause much of a setback (a few days at the longest). Molds and fermented foods will set you back more than some sugar or salt in my opinion. If your body can easily digest the foods and all you recieve is a reaction, you will be able to continue on pretty easily (hopefully).

4 months into the diet I was pretty hungry while travelling in L.A. and I ate some potato chips while on a ferry boat. During this trip I cheated for a week straight more or less because of lack of options. I continued on the strict diet when I returned and this only set me back about a week. I’m not saying everyone will be like this, but just giving an example of a poor situation.

-Raster

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

I carry with me in my “lunch” Bag everywhere (utensils. you never know when you need them), hard broiled eggs, avocado, some almonds, coconut flakes, and almond flour cookies which I bake for my little one as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The lesser of two "nasties"?!’ is closed to new replies.