The importance of Vitamin C!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions The importance of Vitamin C!

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Kirstine1213 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I really hope that every single forum member is taking vitamin C while on the diet/protocol because it is by far the most important vitamin you need for your health. The human body does not produce vitamin C and this diet does not have fruit in it, so its very important that you supplement yourself with some Vitamin C throughout your treatment until you can eat fruit again regularly.

“Vitamin C is a cofactor in at least eight enzymatic reactions including several collagen synthesis reactions that, when dysfunctional, cause the most severe symptoms of scurvy.[1] In animals, these reactions are especially important in wound-healing and in preventing bleeding from capillaries. Ascorbate may also act as an antioxidant against oxidative stress.”

“Ascorbic acid is well known for its antioxidant activity, acting as a reducing agent to reverse oxidation in liquids. When there are more free radicals (reactive oxygen species, ROS) in the human body than antioxidants, the condition is called oxidative stress, and has an impact on cardiovascular disease, hypertension, chronic inflammatory diseases, diabetes as well as on critically ill patients and individuals with severe burns.”

“Vitamin C is found in high concentrations in immune cells, and is consumed quickly during infections. It is not certain how vitamin C interacts with the immune system; it has been hypothesized to modulate the activities of phagocytes, the production of cytokines and lymphocytes, and the number of cell adhesion molecules in monocytes.”

“Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. It both prevents histamine release and increases the detoxification of histamine. A 1992 study found that taking 2 grams vitamin C daily lowered blood histamine levels 38 percent in healthy adults in just one week. It has also been noted that low concentrations of serum vitamin C has been correlated with increased serum histamine levels.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C

“Vitamin C in humans must be ingested for survival. Vitamin C is an electron donor, and this property accounts for all its known functions. As an electron donor, vitamin C is a potent water-soluble antioxidant in humans. Antioxidant effects of vitamin C have been demonstrated in many experiments in vitro. Human diseases such as atherosclerosis and cancer might occur in part from oxidant damage to tissues. Oxidation of lipids, proteins and DNA results in specific oxidation products that can be measured in the laboratory.”

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/1/18.full

“Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that is necessary for normal growth and development.

Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water. Leftover amounts of the vitamin leave the body through the urine. That means you need a continuous supply of such vitamins in your diet.

Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is used to:

•Form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels
    •Heal wounds and form scar tissue
    •Repair and maintain cartilage, bones, and teeth

Vegetables with the highest sources of vitamin C include:

•Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower
    •Green and red peppers
    •Spinach, cabbage, turnip greens, and other leafy greens
    •Sweet and white potatoes
    •Tomatoes and tomato juice
    •Winter squash”

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm

“Vitamin C is also used for glaucoma, preventing cataracts, preventing gallbladder disease, dental cavities (caries), constipation, Lyme disease, boosting the immune system, heat stroke, hay fever, asthma, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, infertility, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), autism, collagen disorders, arthritis and bursitis, back pain and disc swelling, cancer, and osteoporosis.”

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1001-vitamin%20c%20(ascorbic%20acid).aspx?activeIngredientId=1001&activeIngredientName=vitamin%20c%20(ascorbic%20acid)

There is a lot more material, I just pulled stuff from the top search results!

-raster

fixme
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 101

Thanks for this. Do you recommend a brand? How many mg/day?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

fixme;33794 wrote: Thanks for this. Do you recommend a brand? How many mg/day?

Vitamin C is a huge part of the protocol for fighting the Candida, UTIs, and die-off symptoms. There are hundreds of good brands and you don’t have to spend a fortune on vitamin C, just be sure that it’s “ascorbic acid” and that the ingredients contain no negative substances such as flavorings, etc. If it contains silica or plant-origin cellulose, these are acceptable.

Vitamin C is on the protocol, but if you’ve not been following the protocol and are not already taking vitamin C, start with 1000 mg the first day, the second day raise the amount to 2000 mg, then on the third day raise it to 3000 mg a day. During bad die-off periods you can increase this amount up to 10,000 mg a day. You should take 1000 mg and hour if you raise it to this amount. You really can’t overdose on vitamin C because it’s water soluble and you’ll either throw it up or if you get too much over a longer period of time it’ll simply be excreted by the kidneys.

Vitamin C is excellent for colds and the flu, and if you start taking 1000 mg immediately every hour upon feeling like you’re getting a cold or a sore throat, you can actually stop a cold from taking hold or at the very least cause it to be of shorter duration. By practicing this method, I haven’t had a cold or the flu in over three years. Of course, in the past two years I’ve also reestablished my immune system to its highest performance by being on the forum protocol.

By the way, Raster’s post mentioned “grams” — one gram equals 1000 mg.

Able

Topics: 32
    Replies: 55

I guess it would be a good idea to use buffered vitamin c tablets? If not powder. Buffered vitamin c is said to make digestion easier. The other ones seems to be a bit rough for the stomach and usually contains flavorings etc.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Kateyliss;33812 wrote: I guess it would be a good idea to use buffered vitamin c tablets? If not powder. Buffered vitamin c is said to make digestion easier. The other ones seems to be a bit rough for the stomach and usually contains flavorings etc.

The only down side of buffered vitamin C is that’s going to be more expensive, but if one experiences stomach and digestion problems with vitamin C, then it would be worth it, but if you can handle the non-buffered form, then there’s no reason to waste your money.
    By the way, in my experience the plain ones don’t normally contain flavorings, in fact you would probably have to look for a flavored one. Personally, I’ve never taken the buffered form, so I don’t know what difference it makes.

Able

jereseib79
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 62

Vitamin C is also crucial for those of us that are suffering from adrenal fatigue in addition to the candida. According to Dr. James Wilson, Vitamin C is the single most important nutrient for the entire adrenal cascade to function properly.

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

Vitamin C should also be carefully taken for people with a history of certain types of kidney stones and interstitial cystitis as it can irritate your bladder as well as urethra. Just thought I would throw this out there.

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

I ve been taking 4000 mg of vitamin c a day since I started the antifungals and diet. My Fiance has had a bad cold for a week and I havent caught it, knock on wood. And I used to be sick every month it seemed. Taking out a lot of bad sugar has definitely helped me also. Vit c is great

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Vitamin C is the only thing that cured my adrenal fatigue. I take around 1800 mg a day.

healinglight
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 66

Able, I had been taking 4000 mg of Vitamin C till October and for the very first time after years I have been through the Indian monsoon without antibiotics. It was causing me a lot of acid re-flux which I was managing with increase in water intake, and I decided to go with the dose (in fact increase it further) since I could see it working. But unfortunately I soon realized it had caused me severe dental erosion. I had to cut down on my dose of Vitamin C to 2000 mg.

On the advice of one of the members on the forum I looked for Ester C online but it is too expensive…the ratio of the price one I am using right now and the one available online is something like 1:20.

I want to raise the dose, but on one hand it is the acid re-flux and my oral health and on the other it is monetary factors. I am ready to go for the expensive brand available online only if it is worth it. What do you suggest?

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I don’t know if it would be any cheaper but you might want to try the lite version of Emergen-C. Don’t know if you have it in India but it is a drink mix that you add to water. I had trouble with Vitamin C as well until I tried this. I drink it whenever I feel a cold coming on. It is really a great product.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

I was having reactions when using regular asorbic acid vit c (the cheaper kind). The more I would increase it the more acidic my body felt. One switching to ESTER-C it’s been amazing: my body isn’t fighting the acidity and seems to be extracting the vit C. Just my two cents but, ester-C is expensive but, in my situation worth the expense.

Blessings.

eskimo_pup
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 78

healinglight;33838 wrote: Able, I had been taking 4000 mg of Vitamin C till October and for the very first time after years I have been through the Indian monsoon without antibiotics. It was causing me a lot of acid re-flux which I was managing with increase in water intake, and I decided to go with the dose (in fact increase it further) since I could see it working. But unfortunately I soon realized it had caused me severe dental erosion. I had to cut down on my dose of Vitamin C to 2000 mg.

On the advice of one of the members on the forum I looked for Ester C online but it is too expensive…the ratio of the price one I am using right now and the one available online is something like 1:20.

I want to raise the dose, but on one hand it is the acid re-flux and my oral health and on the other it is monetary factors. I am ready to go for the expensive brand available online only if it is worth it. What do you suggest?

You could try AMLA powder/capsules one of the most powerful wholefood sources of vit c which is in fact native to your country, so it should be a reasonable price.

Not sure what people that are more knowledgeable will think of that though as it’s indian gooseberry extract and that is a fruit.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

what is a cheaper from of viatmin c i can take ? i had no idea i could up my dose so much and ive been taking 1000 mg of ester c but its to much to up the dose .i am wondering what else i could get thanks .

healinglight
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 66

Thank you Kag, flailingWcandi and eskimo_pup. I am so sorry for the late response. I have been taking amla powder in triphala. Will look for Emergen-C online or go for Ester C.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The importance of Vitamin C!’ is closed to new replies.