Testing for mould at home?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Testing for mould at home?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  r.andy1 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #84188

    jo2212
    Member
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

    I’ve recently returned home from university and I’m starting to suspect my family home has a mould problem as since returning I have been sensitive to many more foods, suffering gas, bloating, hyperventilation and fatigue to a far greater and increasingly debilitating extent despite not having changed my diet or antifungal dose.

    Is the anyway of testing whether this is due to mould in the house? Or if there is mould in the house? I feel the longer I spend here the sicker I get and the less likely I am to leave.

    #84189

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    There are companies who can do home testing for mold, mercury, radiation, and all sorts of things…it probably costs a couple hundred bucks.

    Do you notice that you feel good only when you are not at home?

    If you leave a piece of paper or other item out for a week, is it covered in dust? This could be mold spores…

    There are simple ways to reduce the amount of mold in a home…a dehumidifier would reduce the amount of moisture in the air. An air purifier will remove any particles in the air. (UV) light kills mold as well. Putting a hepa quality filter on your furnace will grab more particles from the air.

    A simple way to see if you have mold is to take a black light and flash the light over various surfaces…the mold will appear as a different color.

    I feel for your woes because mold is what got me here in the first place. My new house isn’t mold free either but luckily its way better and I am not there nearly as much. The basement is very bad for me and I try to limit my time down there. All of my stuff in the basement is ruined by the mold.

    Mold ruined my life.

    -raster

    #84198

    s.
    Member
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

    My cat was in ICU for 4 days and lost brain function for two or three days. Her body wouldn’t regulate her temperature and every time they took her off the heating pad her body would get cold again. So – basically our cat saved our lives, but I’m with Raster. Mold ruined my life.

    The smell of dirt is mold. Everyone told me that it was just dirt. The home test kit sample dishes are worthless. I only recommend the air quality tests that use a glass bottle to collect air and then a manual count. I had almost every type of mold that could be tested for, but in the basement – yet it came up through the HVAC and floors. Everything I owned was constantly covered in brown dust.

    One doctor told me that leaving the house for a week and feeling better was a diagnostic tool too if you can’t afford the air quality test.

    Mold is NOTHING to mess around with. I wish you the best. For me, I would get so sick that when I ate I would feel like passing out. My stomach burned from EVERYTHING and I started vomitting everything – mostly dairy though – would get really low body temperatures (94!!!!), arm twitching that must have been a type of seizure. I missed an entire month of work while the doctors couldn’t find a thing wrong with me other than my obvious anxiety.

    I was so desperate and scared I tried three different emergency rooms in three different towns and they all turned me away and said they couldn’t help. That I had a “long term” illness that the doctors in the clinics would have to discover. I think I had seen a total of 24 doctors when my cat went down. The next day I called for a test and I had my answer three days later……

    S.

    #84228

    Doggiemama
    Member
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

    S,
    can you post a link to the kit you purchased?

    Would love to have that info…

    #84246

    jo2212
    Member
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

    Thank you both for your replies, both of your experiences with mould sound terrible, hopefully, with your knowledge, I’ll be able to sort the problem out to stop it getting to such an extreme stage.

    Raster I do notice feeling better out of the house, but only after a large amount of time, for example after a day of work. It’s more the deterioration of my health being at home which makes me suspicious, after an hour of having been home I can already feel myself begining to hyperventilate.

    About 10 years ago a pipe burst in our house and damp became so bad we had to move out while industrial dehumidifiers dried it out, I can only assume a mould problem would be connected to that?

    I will definitely look into air purifiers. Mould is not visible in our house so I assume UV lights would be no use? I am planning on cleaning everything in our house this weekend and have contacted my nutritionist for further advice as to what to do.

    S., I’m glad you mentioned the home test kits as I was about to order one. How was the air quality tested in your house? Your poor cat :(. Our dog was very unwell for many years with similar skin problems to my own, I wonder if that would be related…

    I’m so sorry that mould ruined both your lives, thank you so much for helping me stop it from ruining mine.

    Jo

    #84262

    s.
    Member
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

    The home mold test kit was one that I picked up at a hardware store. Set out the petri dishes for so long and then bag it up and send it in. The problem is that not all molds will grow on the medium. You need to find a company that does “indoor air quality” testing. With the petri dish method – I had no mold. This set me back about six months. When I did the “indoor air quality” test with professionals my numbers were very high. Doggiemama – there has to be someone in your area who is certified to do this test for you. But, it is expensive. Well worth it. They use an air compressor or something like it to suck the air into a small bottle. They do the basement, outside and living area. Then, I believe it is a manual analysis.

    #84264

    s.
    Member
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

    To reiterate – don’t pay someone to lay out petri dishes. Tell them to go home and get someone else.

    #84289

    Doggiemama
    Member
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

    oh ok..i thought it was an in home thing. guess i wont be getting that done. i am unemployed at this time…ugh!!

    #84301

    s.
    Member
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

    Is there anyone you can stay with for a couple of weeks or a month? THis is a lot less expensive and will give you an idea. Doctors do use this as a diagnostic tool. If you feel better, then you have a good idea that there is something environmental.

    #122204

    r.andy1
    Member
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

    Its better to hire agency for good setting of mould at your home. It would be good for you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Testing for mould at home?’ is closed to new replies.