Candida resists everything I throw at it .. am I dying?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida resists everything I throw at it .. am I dying?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  americanwoman 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

desse56
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Hi! I’m a 22 year old male with intestinal candidiasis. It broke out 2,5 months ago but since I’ve had sevete gut dysbiosis since age 18, I’d suspect that it’s been around longer. Symptoms include fatigue, a burn-like feeling in the body, low mood, forgetfulness, constipation and awful fungi-smelling gas. No external signs yet.

The reason it “broke out” was due to the 5th antibiotic treatment (due to 2 lumps) in a year. After the first 4, I did an FMT at a clinic and was feeling better than ever (despite horrible initial reaction which I suspect was Candida protesting), but then I got a new lump that had to be treated with a 5th round of penicillin and things went berzerk.

I started following Candida guidelines, limiting almost all sugar (excl raspberries) while eating garlic and coconut oil, and started feeling better. I then first tried out a strong (50b CFU) probiotic which worked great for 3-4 days (massive dieoff) but then did nothing (despite refridgerated), so I went over to drinking home-made (strong and acidic, not sweet) water kefir, and eating sauerkraut.

I then went on to try a range of natural antifungals (Oregano Oil, Peppermint Oil, Caprylic Acid, Calcium Undecylenate, Grape Seed Extract, Pau D’Arco). They all helped a lot in the beginnig but then not only faded in effectiveness but was also helping the candida by killing off too many of the few good gut bugs I have left.

Thus I started Nystatin 3 weeks ago (100k IU suspension). Worked great initially, with severe die-off. As the die-off faded I increased the dosage and switched to 500k IU tablets and it was proving effective, albeit as I started feeling better I had to up the doses more to feel a good effect, which is assumed to be normal.

10 days ago I also started doing Nystatin enemas which did wonders, so I repeated four times with promising results. I was in a better state and more optimistic than ever to get better.

A couple of days ago, I started feeling slight flare-ups. Periodically for the last two weeks, I had been eating oats, quinoa and gluten-free high-fibre bread on top of the Candida diet, to try to help my good gut bugs as they suffer with very restrictive gut protocols (add frequent enemas to that). This may have been a bad idea, but so is having no good gut bugs 🙁

Over the last 48 hours, I’ve had frequent intestinal flare-ups of worrying magnitude and the added symptom of dizziness. My overall state is a lot worse, I’m more fatigued and can’t sleep well. This in spite of:

Food – three meals a day only consisting of:
    – Organic eggs/pork/salmon
    – Widely varied low-carb vegetables (carrots occasionally, no reaction)
    – Almonds/Walnuts/Haselnuts (in moderation)
    – Pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds (in moderation)
    – Jerusalem Artichokes (Prebiotics)
    – Sauerkraut
    – Lemon Juice with L-Glutamine powder

Treatments – also three times a day:
    – 2x500kIU oral Nystatin tables (3b IU total a day)
    – Apple Cider Vinegar
    – N-Acetyl-Cysteine (biofilm disruptor)
    – Nattokinase (biofilm disruptor)
    – Raw garlic or coconut oil

I’m getting really scared now – I’ve heard of how flexible Candida can be but I couldn’t imagine it thriving under these conditions. If my immune system is that compromised, I’m terrified of things going downhill towards systemic infection or suicide as a result of working inability, awful symptoms and no hope left. I’ve been sick my whole adult life and just when things were starting to clear up I feel as though I’ve been hit by the angel of death :'(

I’m not asking for empathy as I know many of us in here that are going through equally horrible times – but if you have any constructive advice for me, please don’t hesitate to write them down and I will be forever in your debt.

Some thoughts:
    – I tried lowering carbs further to go into Keto 24 hours ago, which felt fantastic for 2 hours but then a completely awful flare-up re-emerged. I really would like to do Keto but I’m afraid my whole system is in a too weak state and that putting myself through that will cause Candida to take over fully. At the same time I’m worried this monster is feeding on just about any carbs..
    – Water Kefir. One thing that may have done me a disservice is that I stopped making water-kefir a week ago, as most of the grains have died. I’m considering ordering new and trying the coconut option.
    – Hair Mineral Analysis. Some naturopaths claim that toxicities are at the root of these types of issues. Would it be a good idea to throw up $1500 on this test, or is it mostly BS?
    – Immune system; Is it possible that the Candida Diet weakens the immune system further in people like me with severe Gut Dysbiosis? What can I do to support it?
    – Diflucan, Lamisil (Fluconazole, Terbinafine) – should I consider these if my health state is further regressing? Not only are they more toxic than Nystatin, Candida easily develops resistance to them too, which could be the end of me..
    – Is it possible that this resistance is due to the Candida converting to Hyphal form? Systemic infection could be next, and I’ve ordered Gymnemic Acids which has shown in studies to be able to retract Candida back to its yeast form, just to see what happens.
    – The only other ideas I have left atm are SF722 (tried Swanson calcium undecylenate, did nothing, but maybe Thornes version is better) and digestive enzymes, which are probably not the worst idea but I doubt if they’ll be a game changer at this point?
    – Obviously the thought of having another FMT has crossed my mind. Considering it only was partly effective last time (when I didn’t have a severe Candidiasis outbreak), I doubt it’ll be of much use now, and going to the clinic again would bankrupt me. DIY is obviously on the table.

Love to you all and stay strong <3
    – Daniel

Hatetheovergrowth
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 15

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to say that I found your post very informative and has given me a lot to think about. However I can not really provide anything in return as it seems like you know more about this than myself. I haven’t fully started actively tackling Candida and have pretty much forgotten everything that I’ve read earlier in the year :D.

I feel like I am on the mild side of Candida when I read posts like this, yet I still struggle. So hats off to you. You are obviously persistent and resilient.

I think if you start feeling suicidal, you’ve got to go see someone! I dunno what you’re family situation is but I’d like to think someone knows about your health problems. I know they’ll probably never understand what you’re going through but it’s always good to vent off some steam. We all get angry and frustrated. Especially people going through this shit.

I hope someone with good knowledge of Candida can really help you out.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas. I hope 2019 brings you better health.

Nyczace
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 21

It’s funny how people with candida very quickly forget about what it means to eat healthy. Consuming all these probiotics and strong antifungals, and limiting sugar to raspberries to me sounds silly and downright dangerous.

I’m beginning to think the anti-sugar diet that’s being promoted by candida “experts” is actually harmful. I strongly believe fruits do no harm. In fact, fruits provide lots of nutrition that is necessary in defeating candida. Fruits and vegetables, particularly those high in vitamin C, I believe, are essential.

Oranges, kiwis, pomegranates, mangoes, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Are all good for you.

When I see a candida sufferer’s diet, and I see they’re eating nothing but seeds, nuts and eggs, I do get a bit worried. Eat more fruit, vegetables and don’t believe all of the crap you read on these forums.

Road2Recovery
    Participant
    Replies: 34

What are all your symptoms? You listed a couple or is there more? Dry skin, digestion problems, white tongue, constipation, food intolerance?????

You are on the right track but you need to remember its not a race but a marathon. People that have severe candida issues don’t recovery in a couple weeks, it can take many months. The first time I dealt with this nightmare was after taking antibiotics like you. I didnt know what was wrong with me and doctors didnt either. I went on a super strict paleo diet and it took me a little over a year to get better. Granted, i didnt take any supplements or anything.

Don’t focus on probiotics too much, they don’t do much. They live happily with candida, and they can’t overtake an already established candida overgrowth.

You can’t stray from the diet either. Grains and gluten free crap are a huge no no for me. It takes me several days to recover after eating that stuff.

If you are in bad shape and are at your wits end you might consider doing what i did. Nystatin orally morning and night, fluconazole daily, nystatin enema every other day, sf722, NAC, another biofilm buster, digestive enzymes, ALA, adrenal support. That regime got me feeling good along with a very strict diet.

I personally think our immune system has a lot to do with all this. Research TH1 and TH2 (T helper cells). I recently started taking 5 different supplements to help boost the TH1 side of the immune system.

Hang in there. People have cured this, its just a matter of patience and persistence. You seem very knowledgeable already, just keep attacking.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

It’s funny how people with candida very quickly forget about what it means to eat healthy. Consuming all these probiotics and strong antifungals, and limiting sugar to raspberries to me sounds silly and downright dangerous.
    I’m beginning to think the anti-sugar diet that’s being promoted by candida “experts” is actually harmful. I strongly believe fruits do no harm. In fact, fruits provide lots of nutrition that is necessary in defeating candida. Fruits and vegetables, particularly those high in vitamin C, I believe, are essential.
    Oranges, kiwis, pomegranates, mangoes, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Are all good for you.
    When I see a candida sufferer’s diet, and I see they’re eating nothing but seeds, nuts and eggs, I do get a bit worried. Eat more fruit, vegetables and don’t believe all of the crap you read on these forums.

Strict diet doesn’t do anything but manage the horrible symptoms. I think fruits should be added but not until you are in a decent state of well being before this can be done. You can be on this diet for 2 years and then once you decide to stray far enough away from the diet you start spiraling right back to where you started.

king tut
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

I have been fighting this for two years on a rather strict diet. I have been making slow Progress, but have gotten a boost recently by adding Pantethine in with my molybdenum and other supplements. Depression is strongly correlated with die off, I have days where my will to live is low, but I chalk that up to die off symptoms and limited serotonin due to the detoxing. If you feel down in the dumps, just slow down the treatment a little. It took me years to get sick, really sick, so I understand it may take a few to get better. I have also found some solace in music, which helps get through tough times. Found a lot of peace in Trevor Hall’s song entitled “You can’t rush your healing”.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

I have been fighting this for two years on a rather strict diet. I have been making slow Progress, but have gotten a boost recently by adding Pantethine in with my molybdenum and other supplements. Depression is strongly correlated with die off, I have days where my will to live is low, but I chalk that up to die off symptoms and limited serotonin due to the detoxing. If you feel down in the dumps, just slow down the treatment a little. It took me years to get sick, really sick, so I understand it may take a few to get better. I have also found some solace in music, which helps get through tough times. Found a lot of peace in Trevor Hall’s song entitled “You can’t rush your healing”.

I forgot to address this major issue of depression and how candida can literally break you as a person mentally and physically. Depression can be caused by die off but a lot of times its correlated with inflammation and LPS lippopolysacharrides, which are toxic to the brain.

During a rough patch with this candida battle, I went on an SSRI called Lexapro. This greatly improved and stabilized my mood, I was much less irritable and I found out by accident that it can actually protect your brain from toxins by as much as 80 percent. I read some studies on this because I decided to go off lexapro and that is when I started to get really bad brain fog if I strayed from a strict diet. This was never the case when I was on lexapro. Every persons body reacts differently, but it may be something to look into if you are down in the dumps. I’ve been there before and it is pure hell. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy.

Nyczace
    Participant

Strict diet doesn’t do anything but manage the horrible symptoms. I think fruits should be added but not until you are in a decent state of well being before this can be done. You can be on this diet for 2 years and then once you decide to stray far enough away from the diet you start spiraling right back to where you started.

If you’re on the diet for 2 years, and your progress gets reset after eating unhealthy foods, you need to reconsider that diet.
    Candida diet is a joke. Nobody gets better on it, it only masks the symptoms. Only way to beat candida is eating plenty of fruit and veg, and limiting anti-nutrients and toxins.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

If you’re on the diet for 2 years, and your progress gets reset after eating unhealthy foods, you need to reconsider that diet.
    Candida diet is a joke. Nobody gets better on it, it only masks the symptoms. Only way to beat candida is eating plenty of fruit and veg, and limiting anti-nutrients and toxins.

You have no idea what you are even talking about. A very minor candida overgrowth can be cured with diet before it has transformed into fungal form and compromises the immune system. The type of people that go seek out these type of forums generally don’t do it because they have a simple problem and want to hear people like you tell them to eat their fruits and vegetables like some Grandma.

So if fruits and vegetables beat candida, what are you even doing on this forum? Shouldnt you be cured with such a simple solution?

desse56
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your answer. I’m personally inclined to agree with you, but when you’re in a state where one bite of a green apple sets you into a flare-up, it doesn’t feel like you have much choice. I do eat lots and lots of low-carb vegetables.

desse56
    Participant

I forgot to address this major issue of depression and how candida can literally break you as a person mentally and physically. Depression can be caused by die off but a lot of times its correlated with inflammation and LPS lippopolysacharrides, which are toxic to the brain.
    During a rough patch with this candida battle, I went on an SSRI called Lexapro. This greatly improved and stabilized my mood, I was much less irritable and I found out by accident that it can actually protect your brain from toxins by as much as 80 percent. I read some studies on this because I decided to go off lexapro and that is when I started to get really bad brain fog if I strayed from a strict diet. This was never the case when I was on lexapro. Every persons body reacts differently, but it may be something to look into if you are down in the dumps. I’ve been there before and it is pure hell. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy.

Yeah, my depression is inflammatory and caused by leaky gut and not enough probiotic bacteria to milden the intestinal inflammation. It’s awful but I’m not sure whether to call it depression or just severe mental and physical discomfort.

desse56
    Participant

What are all your symptoms? You listed a couple or is there more? Dry skin, digestion problems, white tongue, constipation, food intolerance?????
    You are on the right track but you need to remember its not a race but a marathon. People that have severe candida issues don’t recovery in a couple weeks, it can take many months. The first time I dealt with this nightmare was after taking antibiotics like you. I didnt know what was wrong with me and doctors didnt either. I went on a super strict paleo diet and it took me a little over a year to get better. Granted, i didnt take any supplements or anything.
    Don’t focus on probiotics too much, they don’t do much. They live happily with candida, and they can’t overtake an already established candida overgrowth.
    You can’t stray from the diet either. Grains and gluten free crap are a huge no no for me. It takes me several days to recover after eating that stuff.
    If you are in bad shape and are at your wits end you might consider doing what i did. Nystatin orally morning and night, fluconazole daily, nystatin enema every other day, sf722, NAC, another biofilm buster, digestive enzymes, ALA, adrenal support. That regime got me feeling good along with a very strict diet.
    I personally think our immune system has a lot to do with all this. Research TH1 and TH2 (T helper cells). I recently started taking 5 different supplements to help boost the TH1 side of the immune system.
    Hang in there. People have cured this, its just a matter of patience and persistence. You seem very knowledgeable already, just keep attacking.

My symptoms are pretty much only related to leaky gut, they’re internal and hard to describe. Mainly they cause fatigue and depressive issues.

I am intolerant to gluten and lactose because of this, but so I’ve been for years.

I’m afraid my Candida has developed a relative resistance to Nystatin because of my recent events. I wouldn’t want that to happen with fluconazole too.
    SF722 I could give a go though.

What are the immuno-assisting supplements you’re taking?

Nyczace
    Participant

You have no idea what you are even talking about. A very minor candida overgrowth can be cured with diet before it has transformed into fungal form and compromises the immune system. The type of people that go seek out these type of forums generally don’t do it because they have a simple problem and want to hear people like you tell them to eat their fruits and vegetables like some Grandma.
    So if fruits and vegetables beat candida, what are you even doing on this forum? Shouldnt you be cured with such a simple solution?

You’re wrong. Ask people who have beaten candida, and they’ll tell you they cured it through a nutrient-dense diet with lots of fruit and veg, with heavy rotation in their diet and antifungals. Just try it. You’d be amazed.

desse56
    Participant

Update: I think I’ve figured out what went wrong a few days ago. It seems that aggressive Candida treatment has a high likelyhood of making the yeast respond by transforming to its hyphal form, for which it is much more resistant to virtually all treatments. It is not necessary that the slightly looser diet played a role in this, but it probably didn’t help..

There was an experiment done about 5 years ago that showed Gymnemic Acid (gymnema sylvestre, a herb used by Ayrvedic medicine since forever) is effective not only in inhibiting morphosis into hyphal Candida form, but also in reverting (!) it back to its yeast form. This is crucial in managing systemic candida in immunosuppressed patients where hyphal candida can result in drug resistance and death.
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0074189

I ordered it already just before this happened actually, suspecting it might become an issue – haven’t gotten it yet. Will keep you updated regarding the outcome after trying it – hopefully my fungal-fighting methods get back to working and I start feeling a bit more die-off than currently. Meanwhile, a Keto diet with varied veggies and nuts (only eating cooked warm foods, which helps if you have severe gut irritation / leakiness), is keeping me in a stable condition.

Let’s hope it works.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

Update: I think I’ve figured out what went wrong a few days ago. It seems that aggressive Candida treatment has a high likelyhood of making the yeast respond by transforming to its hyphal form, for which it is much more resistant to virtually all treatments. It is not necessary that the slightly looser diet played a role in this, but it probably didn’t help..
    There was an experiment done about 5 years ago that showed Gymnemic Acid (gymnema sylvestre, a herb used by Ayrvedic medicine since forever) is effective not only in inhibiting morphosis into hyphal Candida form, but also in reverting (!) it back to its yeast form. This is crucial in managing systemic candida in immunosuppressed patients where hyphal candida can result in drug resistance and death.
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0074189
    I ordered it already just before this happened actually, suspecting it might become an issue – haven’t gotten it yet. Will keep you updated regarding the outcome after trying it – hopefully my fungal-fighting methods get back to working and I start feeling a bit more die-off than currently. Meanwhile, a Keto diet with varied veggies and nuts (only eating cooked warm foods, which helps if you have severe gut irritation / leakiness), is keeping me in a stable condition.
    Let’s hope it works.

Ive read about it but havent come across many people using it or sharing their results, so definitely keep us posted on this. Best of luck to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.