Taking Sam-e or not, needful? best brand or source?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Taking Sam-e or not, needful? best brand or source?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Percyfaith
    Participant
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 58

I have taken one 400 mg tablet of Sam-e daily on and off for years. Normally on an empty stomach and sometimes with B Complex to help absorption.
    I took for mood and joint help. I began with Life Extension, then Nature Made purchased at Sam’s Club, and then took Jarrow, Doctor’s Best brands and lastly have mostly taken the Vitacost brand.

In my current 12 29 13 quest to lessen any unnecessary supplements and fight candida I am considering tapering off this now. Sam-e products have talc, mannitol, titanium dioxide, yellow oche, citric acid, starches, and gums among many other possibly harmful fillers/additives listed on the labels.

I have seen Sam-e suggested to support the liver during Candida Protocols.

Do you all think it is helpful?

I already have Milk Thistle to take for Liver support.

Has anyone found a best Sam-e brand? Or any alternative?

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

SAMe is the bodies major methyl donor and is one of the major “end products” of the methylaton cycle. It is also a source of methionine. Its uses in the body are wide and varied, too much to list, read up on it. Its important stuff. If it helped, you dont have any side effects, and you dont have an elevated homocysteine level, it might not be a bad idea to keep taking it. I dont recommend to anyone to just start using it though.

Percyfaith
    Participant

impossible;52328 wrote: SAMe is the bodies major methyl donor and is one of the major “end products” of the methylaton cycle. It is also a source of methionine. Its uses in the body are wide and varied, too much to list, read up on it. Its important stuff. If it helped, you dont have any side effects, and you dont have an elevated homocysteine level, it might not be a bad idea to keep taking it. I dont recommend to anyone to just start using it though.

Thanks impossible, I have taken SAMe for many years but really should have my homocysteine level checked, I thought it was high once but I might be thinking of Fibrinogen that was high before but it came into normal when I lost weight. I also have an elevated CRP C-Reactive Protein at 5.0 I don’t like that. CRP was high in the past then normal when I was vegetarian and vegan but since I’ve gone back to Paleo diet it has been higher again. Might be dental issues. Doc’s don’t like it since they say it is a non specific marker.

I was just considering dropping SAMe when the DO Doc I went too just days ago asked me to up my dose from 400 mg daily to 800 mg and slowing work up to 1600 but I am already feeling stomach upset at 800 mg.

Do you think stomach upset is a sign I don’t need to be on it?

I’ve been taking since Sept of this year after laying off for about a year– prior I took it about 5 years straight always at one 400 mg tablet a day.

impossible

Upset stomach/nausea is a common symptom of SAMe, in most it does eventually go away. The bad symptoms that are cause for reducing or stopping useage are anxiety, insomia, mania etc. 1600 mgs is ALOT. Im not saying to go against your docs advice at all, but dont be surprised if you run into those symptoms and dont hesitate to back off if you do. If taking that much you NEED to have your homocysteine checked.

Percyfaith
    Participant

impossible;52506 wrote: Upset stomach/nausea is a common symptom of SAMe, in most it does eventually go away. The bad symptoms that are cause for reducing or stopping useage are anxiety, insomia, mania etc. 1600 mgs is ALOT. Im not saying to go against your docs advice at all, but dont be surprised if you run into those symptoms and dont hesitate to back off if you do. If taking that much you NEED to have your homocysteine checked.

Thank You impossible,

The Doctor at that practice is not the one I normally see. I went in with acute headaches and SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) flairing. Along with suggesting increasing SAMe he also suggested a homeopathic remedies and gave me Sulphur 30c 3 pellets every few hours as needed. I am not so big a fan of homeopathic remedies. I was somewhat better but tonight headaches are back and they are worse when I lay down. I am not a person who has ever suffered with headaches. I have a dental appointment tomorrow and I think that may be my headache source. It is so very hard for me to find a dentist that is holistic enough for me but I am trying my 5th one but digress that is another post and a long story.
    I will call and discuss my dose with that DO Doctor who suggested the SAMe and perhaps get Homocysteine levels tested before increasing over 800 mg. I have suffered with insomnia for some time don’t want to make it any worse.

I only got back on SAMe at 400 mg to support my liver and prepare for the Candida Diet which am about to begin.

How does taking SAMe affect Homocysteine levels? Or why might one not want to take if they have elevated Homocysteine?

impossible

SAMe breaks down into homocysteine where it then relies on the rest of the methylation cycle to turn it back into SAMe. For some people that is a problem. High homocysteine causes things like heart attack and stroke and can be an indication of methyl cycle problems (esp in those not taking SAMe). That is why many suggest to take folic acid and b12 with it, but that is not going to work for everyone, not everyone can convert those vitamins into their active forms, that is what the 23andme test is all about.

impossible
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Taking Sam-e or not, needful? best brand or source?’ is closed to new replies.