Tahini Cookies

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

I’ve recently been getting cravings for something sweet and snacky! Strange because I’ve been on the diet 3 months… am pretty much symptom free so not sure why it’s starting now! I don’t even have a sweet tooth!

Anyway… once I spotted that Tahini was now “approved” (as the sesame seeds are roasted) I tested a little on crackers and didn’t have areaction… so went searching for a recipe. The recipe below is what I found… very sweet and very yummy:-

Tahini Cookies

Ingredients –
    1 cup organic tahini
    “Allowed” equivalent to 1 cup sugar (I will halve this next time as they are very sweet)
    1 large organic egg
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sesame seeds (I ommitted these just in case)

Method
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat tahini, sugar, egg, baking soda and salt together to combine well. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls. Dampen your hands with water to prevent sticking. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly by making cross-hatches on top with the tines of a fork. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds. Bake cookies until golden on bottom but still soft in the center, about 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

Thanks Lucylu!!! I am so excited about trying these!!!!! They sound yummy!
    Thanks
    Lauren

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

I enjoyed these! Thanks!
    Lauren

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

So are you saying one should replace sugar with a cup or half a cup of stevia? It seems like an awful lot. Is tahini allowed on the diet? It’s not on able/raster’s list.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

M wrote: Is tahini allowed on the diet? It’s not on able/raster’s list.

Since it’s made with hulled sesame seeds that are usually toasted, there’s little chance of any mould remaining in the tahini, which is the main problem with nuts and seeds. Able suggested trying it as a test food in the Allowed Foods List thread. If you’re okay with sesame oil, I don’t think you’ll have a problem (I had a reaction to sesame 🙁 ).

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Re the Tahini – what Javizy said – also the baking removes any remaining mold. I tested the tahini on a crackers 2 days before I baked these to make sure I was ok with it.

Re the Sugar alternative – I worded it as “the equivalent of 1 cup sugar” because various allowed sweeteners are different strengths. I used Xylitol (which able isn’t hugely keen on but it’s the only one I can get in Ireland and I only have tiny amounts of it)). It is granulated and supposed to be the same as sugar in terms of strength so I used a cup but the cookies are way too sweet so I’ll adjust that next time. So you should read the recommendations on your sweetener (has to be a granulated form) and adjust accordingly.

NB I’m certainly not advocating someone bake these and eat the whole batch!! But they’re great to have on standby if you get a craving. I eat about a quarter of a cookie with a cup of lemon tea and that’s plenty for a quick sweet fix for me every few days. When you’re on the diet a few months you’ll find your sweet tooth will fade anyway… I used to have to sweeten my greek yoghurt but find it fine on it’s own now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tahini Cookies’ is closed to new replies.