Symptoms not going away!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Symptoms not going away!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

linny
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

Hey everyone,

Well to give a brief history I feel like I’ve been most affected by a candida overgrowth for approx. 9-12 months. I have many risk factors, including taking the birth control pill for 5-6 years, anti-biotic use, and thyroid/immune system issues (this is a HUGE factor in my health right now… my naturopath is choosing to treat the thryoid AFTER the candida treatment, so I’m left feeling a bit confused as to whether or not my symtoms relate to candida or hypothyroidism!!). I’ve had a constant vaginal yeast infection for a few years which has been resistant to treatment. I’ve also had post-nasal drip which I believe was triggered by mould exposure in an apartment I was living in (moved out in March of this year). Most recently I’ve developed nausea and anxiety with chest tightness/pains occasionally. Also some gurgly bowels/ibs symptoms (mostly constipation which I believe is affected greatly by working shift-work).

So about a month ago I decided to see a naturopath. He started me on a diet (which he didn’t give me many guidelines on, besides low carb, no sugar, no dairy, no wheat, no yeast). I’ve had to do all my own research and have subsequently found two diets that I’ve sort of combined). I’m also taking 2-3g of vitamin c daily, zinc, milk thistle, vitamin a, and a very expensive probiotic. I did the diet & nutritional supplements for two weeks, and despite feeling pretty good, I was bloated daily for the 2nd week (which I thought was maybe the psyllium I was taking so I stopped that – it was making me constipated anyway). After two weeks, I continued the diet & supplements and started to introduce anti-fungals (garlic supplement, goldenseal).

I’m eating:
    Herbal teas daily including chamomile, peppermint, licorice root, eater’s digest
    Eggs daily
    Almond milk
    Gluten-free oats once/twice a week
    Brown rice
    Brown rice vermicelli (had that a few times in the past month)
    Brown rice tortillas
    Wild rice
    Quinoa (just introduced it yesterday)
    Brown rice cakes and crackers
    Almond butter
    All kinds of veggies
    Hummus
    Chicken, fish, beef, lamb (fresh lamb burgers which had a small amount of feta cheese)
    Very small amounts of organic yogurt in a curry recipe I made (which also had canned, crushed tomatoes)
    Goat cheese
    Small amounts of berries and a granny smith apple maybe once a week
    Lemons/limes mostly for salad dressings

I have to admit I’ve probably made some mistakes having potatoes twice since I started the diet… but I just didn’t think it would inhibit my progress this much! I’ve also mistakenly eaten a few light rye crackers and spelt bread (before I knew that they were glutenous and not allowed on the diet).

After four weeks I’ve expected to see some bigger results. It’s so hard to tell if anything is happening – I think that’s the most challenging part of treating this candida. It’s no secret that I’m feeling a lot better anxiety wise. I do have twinges of chest pains/tightness but I honestly wouldn’t even notice that if I wasn’t looking for it. I’m not nauseated all the time like I used to be. My bowels are more regular as well and I’m having less abdominal twinges/pains. My biggest complaint though has got to be the ABDOMINAL BLOATING! I’m bloated every day towards the end of the day. I am going to try and figure out if anything I’m eating is causing it… I thought it could be related to die-off as I’ve had some days where I’ve been a bit nauseated and tired (which is hopefully die-off). I can’t tell if I’m having a reaction to the food I’m eating or if it’s die off… or if it’s just candida symptoms not going away because treatment isn’t successful? ALSO, my post nasal drip is as annoying and active as ever! I’m still producing tons of mucous obviously and I thought I would be feeling at least a bit better. As far as my vaginal infections go – I’m taking boric acid suppositories so I won’t know if that is gone until I stop that course of treatment in a few weeks.

Anyone have advice they can offer? Interpretations of my symptoms, my diet, my supplements? I appreciate it in advance.

Linny

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

linny wrote: my naturopath is choosing to treat the thryoid AFTER the candida treatment, so I’m left feeling a bit confused as to whether or not my symtoms relate to candida or hypothyroidism!

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The answer to the above concern is, probably both. I don’t understand why your doctor has refused to treat both your Candida and hypothyroidism at the same time. It’s true that Candida can cause hypothyroidism, and logically hypothyroidism can be cured by treating and removing the Candida infestation, but this is not something that is done overnight, as you are discovering. Meanwhile, you’re suffering from both, which is quite ridiculous considering it isn’t necessary.

Concerning your Candida; it would be a surprise if you were any better than you presently are considering your diet. Any one item on the list below probably wouldn’t be a problem alone, but when you actually combine all of these items, it’s a wonder that the Candida has improved at all.
    Almond milk
    Brown rice
    Brown rice tortillas
    Wild rice
    Quinoa (just introduced it yesterday)

As I stated, any one of these foods would be alright if eaten no more than twice a week, but eating from the entire list is just asking for trouble. I know that brown rice products are ‘allowed’ on a lot of lists, but this much is going to just prolong your treatment period.

While on the Candida diet, with the exceptions of all green vegetables, one should keep the number of different foods eaten at a bare minimum.
    Among other factors, the bloating could easily be caused by all the protein you’re trying to digest, namely; Chicken, fish, beef, lamb, eggs, almond milk and cheese.

How many meals a day do you have a source of protein? It would be smarter to add another serving of yogurt during the day instead of all the meat. Eggs also could be increased in order to remove one or two of the meat products. Animal protein, especially meat, is extremely hard on the digestive process, kidneys and liver, on the liver especially during a Candida infestation because it’s already being overworked by the toxins which the Candida infestation is producing.
    How many billions of bacteria does your probiotic contain and how many strains? If you will give me the actual name and count I can research it if I haven’t already.

A constant runny nose and mucus are signs that the Candida has moved into your sinuses, which isn’t that unusual if the Candida continues for extended periods of time as it is capable of slowly spreading through the entire body.

You can get your Candida infestation under better control, but I doubt you will unless you make some changes first.

Able

linny

Thanks for your response!

I don’t eat that much animal protein… generally one small serving a day for dinner and occasionally for lunch as well. I eat eggs for breakfast every day. The thing I was having quite often as a snack was brown rice cakes with almond butter – and I’m cutting back on those because I know the least amount of grains I have the better.

I struggle a LOT with this diet because I’m a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts. I need the energy to function at a high level (mentally and physically) all day long. That’s why I feel like I need the grains… without them, it’s hard to function on veggies alone. I starve at work if I don’t have some carbs in my system… and I don’t know what else to eat. Any suggestions?

I am all for the yogurt, although another diet/forum really recommends against cow dairy at all. Which is why I’ve had some goat cheese here and there, is because that diet allows it occasionally. The fact that advice from site-to-site is so contradictory makes this diet especially difficult. That diet also recommends nut milks as an alternative to cows milk. If you think I should eliminate almond milk, that’s easy for me. I was only using it about once a week anyway.

This is my probiotic: http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/hmf-intensive-no-fos-probiotics-by-genestra-30-caps.html#tablist

I’ve read a bit about food-combining. Some people have suggested elsewhere that I could have a problem digesting if I’m consuming meat at carbs at the same time. Do you think this could be happening with me?

Also, do you think I could be developing sensitivities to these foods since I’m not eating them in a four-day rotation?

Thanks again, so much, for your insight.

Linny

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Linny,

I had a similar but different diet. I would recommend cutting the following:

Almond milk
    Brown rice
    Brown rice tortillas
    Wild rice
    Almond butter
    feta cheese
    Very small amounts of organic yogurt in a curry recipe I made (which also had canned, crushed tomatoes)

The rice is not helpful, the almonds contain mold, don’t mess with cheeses (only fresh cheeses), do not eat any canned tomatoes or canned fruit. Only eat greek yogurt and no other types of yogurt.

I am refining my diet ASAP as well and I am cutting the rice, dairy, coffee. It is not helpful.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Linny. The answers to your questions are below.

Quote:”I don’t know what else to eat. Any suggestions?”

Look for a coconut bread recipe either on the forum under the “recipes” section or you can google the name and bring up lots of recipes. It’s fine to eat the bread three times a day with your meal, and it’s very filling as well as satisfying. As far as snacks are concerned, a slice of coconut bread toasted in the oven with olive oil and herbs on top, or a boiled egg, or even an avocado make tasty, convenient and quick snacks.

Quote: “If you think I should eliminate almond milk, that’s easy for me. I was only using it about once a week anyway.”

As long as you’re drinking almond milk without sugar, I think it would be alright to have once a week, that is, as long as you’re not receiving a reaction from it. As I stated in the first post, either one of the foods would be alright if eaten only once or twice a week, but it’s the combination of so many foods that really aren’t beneficial to a Candida treatment that could potentially present a problem.

About having Candida reactions to food; if you suspect that you’ve experienced a Candida symptom/reaction to a particular food, you should not attempt to eat it again for at least three to four weeks. Then you could try again. A reaction to a particular food normally means that you have eaten something that the Candida was able to use as nourishment.

Quote: “I’ve read a bit about food-combining. Some people have suggested elsewhere that I could have a problem digesting if I’m consuming meat and carbs at the same time. Do you think this could be happening with me?”

I would doubt it unless it was a problem for you before contracting Candida. You’re having a problem digesting food because of the Candida that is in your intestines. Grape Bitters as well as well as Betaine HCL can help you with your digestion problems. You won’t need the suggested dosage on the bottle of liquid Grape Bitters, just half a dropper full will be sufficient. There are several posts on the forum where I’ve explained this.

Quote: “Also, do you think I could be developing sensitivities to these foods since I’m not eating them in a four-day rotation?”

I’ve never seen proof that the four-day rotation of food items is worth more than the time it takes to write about it. A fairly long term Candida infestation often results in numerous allergens which set off multiple allergies or sensitivities to food. These allergies really have nothing to do with the food itself, it’s all about the body’s reaction to the problems that Candida present. I plan on writing an article on the forum about this within the next week or so.

The link you posted doesn’t work, even when pasted into the web browser. Just give me the name and count of the probiotic.

Able

linny

Able,

Thanks again for the time you’ve put into help me today. The coconut bread sounds like a great idea. I might even make some tonight if I can find the coconut flour!

The probiotic I’m taking is HMF Intensive by Genestra. Here is another link: http://www.rockwellnutrition-canada.com/HMF-Intensive-no-FOS-Probiotics-Capsules-by-Genestra-30-caps-NON-RETURNABLE_p_239.html

Thanks Able.

Linny

Invisiwill
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

I agree. I’ve been very careful to stay away from dairy. Also any grains I have eaten were brown rice or quinoa but I almost never eat those just to be safe. There’s lots of natural treats out there you can still eat. I also have stayed far away from fruits except lemon and I guess technically tomatos are a fruit. All the things that easily and quickly break down to sugar have to go. Yogurt actually seems to help – that’s the only dairy I have in my own diet. But everybody is different and I’m quite new to this so I hope you can find what works for you.

Also, I’d recommend one of those vacuum sealers that allow you to extend the life of fruits/veggies if you can’t make it to the store every other day to pick up fresh veggies.

Able900
    Spectator

Linny, the 30-billion count of bacteria in your probiotic is alright for now, but eventually it will be necessary to raise both the count and number of strains before you cure your infestation.

linny

I started out originally taking this one occasionally before seeing my naturopath (http://naturalfactors.com/ca/en/products/683/ultimate-multi-probiotic).

The HMF Intensive is the one my naturopath recommended. He said acidophilus is the most important strain to fight candida so that’s why I’m on that. I asked him if I need to take more than one a day and he said no. Maybe I should add in the one I was taking before?

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Linny.

Normally, a healthy human’s intestines house five major types of beneficial bacteria, and research has never been able to prove an exact number of different strains, however, the estimate is that there are as many as 300 to 500 different strains of these beneficial bacteria inhabiting the digestive tract.

Even though the information on the label of the HMF Intensive states that the total potency per capsule may be up to 30 billion colony-forming units, the count shown in the ingredients is only 24 billion, a mild amount when you consider that you’re fighting an extremely dangerous fungi by the name of Candida albicans which has literally taken over your body.

As far as what your naturopath told you goes; any doctor, even a naturopathic doctor doesn’t normally want to tell you to take more of any supplement than what is recommended on the label, this is one of just a few reasons why over 90% of Candida sufferers take several years to cure their infestation.

However, as far as increasing the amount you’re taking is concerned, I wouldn’t do that until you’ve gotten the diet straight, meaning until you’ve eliminated all the food items we talked about. Then wait about 10 days to two weeks while remaining strictly on the diet to see whether or not you’re going to experience any die-off symptoms. The ‘clean’ diet usually produces some die-off symptoms, and you don’t need to add to them by increasing your probiotic.

I like the strains in the Ultimate Multi Probiotic you were taking earlier, but the count is still much too low.

Able

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Symptoms not going away!’ is closed to new replies.