Sweet Potatoes

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sweet Potatoes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

LolloRosso
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

I am a little confused. There is a recipe for sweet potatoes wedges on the the main recipe page, which is meant to be suitable for stages 2 & 3. I had a look at the sugar content in Sweet Potatoes as against normal potatoes. Sweet potatoes had over 4g of sugar where as, regular potatoes had only 1g per 100g.

Anyone else think a normal spud is far better than a sweet potato? I would rather have a baked potato over sweet potato wedges and this must be a healthier option?

disco flavor
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

Sweet potatoes have more sugar, but they’re also a much more complex food to digest, so they take much longer for that sugar to be released into the body. Regular potatoes on the other hand are relatively simple carbs, and they produce a burst of sugar in your system, which is much worse for candida. This is the same reason you can eat brown rice, but not white rice.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

That is an awesome answer, disco 🙂

LolloRosso
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

Thanks for the answer, I was finding this a strange one :0)

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi all – on a side note to your discussion – I find the main recipe page a little confusing anyway… I mean there is a recipe that uses soba noodles and says its ok for stage 1 of the diet but I checked that out and while they are made of buckwheat flour, they’re also made of wheat flour. I thought we were supposed to be avoiding wheat?

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

OK I just looked that up on wikipedia and that said they’re only made of buckwheat but other sites say both – anyone know?? the soba noodles I can find are ‘wholewheat’ so now I’m confused. Sorry if I’m not thinking this through properly

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hey, Katy. I have some in my pantry that are 100% whole buckwheat flour. They’re a product of Japan – I picked them up in my international foods aisle at the grocery. The brand is Eden Selected and the package says Buckwheat Soba Noodles and also says 100% whole grain buckwheat. The ingredients are just whole grain buckwheat flour.

I haven’t tried them, yet, though. “Noodle” forms are generally higher on the glycemic index (for instance, brown rice pasta is through the GI roof!) and I’ve been a bit nervous about them. I’m saving them until my symptoms are further reduced, but I could just be being a big scaredy cat 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sweet Potatoes’ is closed to new replies.