Summer from hell (suggestions please)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Summer from hell (suggestions please)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

So yeah, I wanted to check in because my treatment has been totally thrown off since the beginning of June and I’m trying to get back to some kind of baseline. At the beginning of June I got a tooth infection and had to have it pulled, so I was subsequently on penicillin vk for 10 days. I kept on with my treatment but eventually It seemed like the antibiotics won out because I was having candida related symptoms. about 2 weeks later I went to the emergency room with a bad sinus infection and some kind of respiratory problem that still hasn’t been diagnosed. They gave me clindomycin saying that my gumline was still infected (I later found out that it wasn’t) and it didn’t do much besides throw off my treatment more. 5 days into that course of antibiotics I went to the emergency room again because I was extremely weak and dizzy and having shallow painful breathing. They said it was just the sinus infection and anxiety and gave me amoxicillin. I took that for 10 days and I finally got off antibiotics all together last friday. I’m still having weakness, chest pain, and shallow breathing and it seems to be somewhat involved with my gut, because I get very nausious in my upper stomach at it’s worst. My glands are still a little swollen and I have a little bit of the sinus infection hanging on too. I’m wondering if anybody has had any of these problems and if its possible that any of it’s related my candida. Also I wanted to see if there’s a better approach to rebooting my treatment that anybody could reccomend, seeing as I’m coming back from a ton of antibiotics, and die-off makes whatever this respiratory thing is worse. Would more probiotics/prebiotics and less antifungals be best for a while? I lost my job because my health’s been so bad so any suggestions to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I’m seeing a primary care doc but it’s slow going and she doesn’t look at me like I’m crazy when I mention candida, but she kind of skirts around it.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Really sorry to hear about this, Day.

Would more probiotics/prebiotics and less antifungals be best for a while?

Absolutely. Obviously with so many antibiotics over such as short period of time your flora has all but been destroyed. You’re just going to have to rebuild the flora, and the probiotics and prebiotics are the answer. Which probiotic are you taking and at what count? Are you drinking homemade kefir?

Able

s.
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

Clindamyacin is the most dangerous antibiotic for us. My gastro through a fit and took me off it immediately that another doctor had prescrived for BV. Mayo has published articles that sinus infections are often fungal! Do some exploring around. SF722 is a really good item to take if you aren’t already. Like Able said – homemade kefir!!!!! And everything else Able recommends.

Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

I’m sorry to hear about your summer from hell. Hang in there…it has been a year from hell for me all due to the wonderful treatment of antibiotics. What I can tell you is when I started the part of my treatment that included yogurt, kefir and probiotics….I became much better. I wish you much luck. I remember the days I had chest pains, hot flashes etc. I felt like I would die. Shocked that it all came on due to the DR giving me drugs. Who would have thunk. I can tell you my ENT told husband that most sinus infections should never be treated with antibiotics. However, he said for him to clense his sinus cavities with saline wash. He did that and after 2 years of antibiotic treatment he was cleared. It took a while. Doc said the infections get too deep and antibiotics can’t touch them. He suffered so badly and since then for the past 10 years he has never had them again. Good luck to you. Listen to Able…he has helped sooo many.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello xday,

I wanted to mention that I was one of the only ones on the forum who suffered from breathing and lung related problems and candida. Basically the mold in my apartment and car was making me very very ill. I used to drive around while hyperventilating and used a brown paper bag to help me through it. I used to get very bad reactions from certain food items that would last for hours (such as rice) and would hyperventilate during these periods of time. For me, I had multiple issues going on all at the same time. The pH of my body was wrong thus the hyperventilation symptoms. I had seizures because of spinal fluid buildup and the eroding of my neurological system. I had a lot going on all at one and basically my body broke down.

One thing that somewhat cured my hyperventilation and breathing problems was to drink baking soda in water. This is a short term fix of course. The pH of your body likely needs to change and this can help it temporarily.

Be sure to check for mold in your house and clean it appropriately. This is one thing that can make you feel awful.

Before starting the candida diet, I started doing acupuncture to heal my body and this helped most of the chronic symptoms. I then eventually stopped that and learned about candida and started the diet outlined on the website (not forum). I got slightly better but it wasn’t good enough. I learned via able that drinking milk and eating rice isn’t strict enough so I changed my diet. I learned about probiotics and how they are critical for anyone’s recovery. I then started to take some vitamins, antifungals, and probiotics and continued to feel better. Eventually I had some money saved and went to a naturopath who helped me further. I’ve been on the diet ever since and am basically symptom free.

The way I look at it is that your body has become a cesspool (no offense intended) filled with toxins (from candida and other things). This has given you chronic symptoms and your lungs are detoxing these toxins (because your internal organs such as liver are not working properly). This may become ineffective eventually and then your body might detox via the skin or bowels instead. Everyone is different with how they detox but for you its via the lungs. This could lead to chronic symptoms such as asthma, etc.

Your finances are likely not very good now, especially with the medical bills and not having a job. You need to put together a basic plan to get over this and start to heal. You’ve broken down and now you’ve gotta live day by day.

Even though the symptoms become worse as you try out the diet/protocol, etc. you gotta keep in mind that there will be a day when you start to feel better. For me it was about 2-4 weeks. Some people it is 2-4 months. Either way, I would put faith in what you eat and how it is healthy (or put faith into a healthy diet). This is likely the easiest change you can make now both financially and realistically.

It saddens me to hear this and how the healthcare system is so inept. It costs so much for such poor quality care and it does nothing to cure the problem. For some people, it makes them worse or weaker. I just hope that you can get to a day where you feel good and can shake off some of the symptoms. Once I started to feel better I’ve been on the path to health ever since. I hope the same goes for you.

-raster

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

Thanks so much for the support everyone. Able, I’m taking megafood at 20 billion CFUs right now and I’m not using kefir because I can’t tolerate it. I’m also on 2tsp of coconut oil currently. Raster, you’re probably right about the mold. I’m living with my aunt right now and it’s kind of a dump. Hopefully I’ll be moving soon and that will take care of the problem. I noticed that grains have kind of been making me feel worse lately. I was fine with teff bread for a while but it started making me feel like total crap. Buckwheat I get a very small reaction to, but I’ve cut out grains entirely for the time being to detox faster.

-Is this the best way to go even though I’ll be hungrier and have nothing in my system to bind my waste together?

-If this recent development is my lungs detoxing, what’s the best way to speed it up and clear up symptoms?

I have some bentonite clay but I’ve been avoiding it because my stomach is so damn sensitive to everything right now. I’m just doing ginger tea, chicory coffee, and lemon water right now. The other issue I should bring up is that I recently found out I have a low red blood cell count, so I need to get more iron in my diet.

-What is the best source for our diet?

I’ve been told I need it from red meat or in the form of supplements, that the type of iron in spinach etc isn’t right, but the supplement is rough on the stomach and red meat is a no no on here. Thanks for your kind words btw raster. It helps. It’s a pretty depressing situation right now because in late may I was past my die off and had finally gotten things right, was even able to go on a 5 mile hike, and now it seems like this challenge is bigger than ever and I’ve broken down physically. I just want it to be done…so I’ll keep posting and trying to heal.

-Day

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you are still going through die-off, I highly recommend trying out the sweating route with detoxing. If you can sweat out the toxins via the skin, this can completely neutralize the die-off. I don’t know what it’ll take for you to do this, but if you can join a local YMCA or other club and sit in a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, etc. this can help significantly. Mineral (hot spring) baths are great too and help get minerals in your body. I have a post on the sticky tab about the benefits of mineral baths.

If you are going hungry try to eat 3-4 course meals. Whatever it takes to get you full. If you got to a good point earlier, you likely noticed that the hunger symptoms subsided in time.

Supporting the liver can help greatly as well. Dandelion, milk thistle, artichokes, and more can help clean up the liver. I also have a liver cleanse post if you want to give it a try and spend more money.

-raster

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

It sounds to me that you really need to build your strength up again. You definetely should not go hungry so eating enough is important. If you have reactions to buckwheat and teff you might want to try rotating the grains so that you don’t have the same grains every day and give your digestive system a break in between. For example having teff one day, buckwheat the other, then try coconut flour bread the next etc. This might increase your toleration and then you’d have more options for foods.

Also eating enough to bind the waste together and to keep things moving on is very important in terms of general detoxing. We need to eliminate the waste and not just let it sit in the colon. Eating lots of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower etc might help you get the binding bulk you need. But you may need to eat a lot!

It could be that your lungs are doing their best to detox now. Though I haven’t gone through what you are going through I can only share what I do when my seasonal allergies are at their worst and my lungs are kind og congested. I do steam breathing with a drop of eucalyptus oil; it calms my lungs and clears my sinuses somewhat. I also use the neti pot to cleanse the nostrils with salt water. For throat problems I gurggle with salt water. Oil pulling (swishing coconut oil in your mouth for 20 mins in the morning) is also useful for getting mucus out. After oil pulling I use a tongue scraper to clean the tongue.

Some thoughts about iron: it is possible that if your stomach is feeling especially vulnerable now eating red meat or taking iron supplements may be too harsh on it. But at the same time getting those iron leves up would make you feel a lot stronger. Some supplements are easier on the stomach than others (I’m taking a Norwegian brand so no point in recommending it as you probably would not be able to get it). Though I’m thinking that you might also be deficient in vitamin B’s – did you have this checked? (another result of strong antibiotic use, and another cause for feeling weak). Another thing to consider is that if your digestion is weak your ability to absorb iron could be lessened. I went for years being anemic while the supplements I was eating just lieratlly washed through me with no effect. Finally I changed doctor and was given iron injections straight to the muscle. All it took was 5 shots to get me up to normal level. I know it sounds kind of drastic but if you are struggling to get your iron up this might another option be worth considering?

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

btw found this today, an article that might give some perspectives into iron deficiency:

http://eastwesthealing.com/do-i-need-iron-if-i-am-anemic-2/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Summer from hell (suggestions please)’ is closed to new replies.