Sugar cravings and hunger.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sugar cravings and hunger.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Downtown 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

catlover345
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 43

Did any of you experience intense sugar cravings and hunger when on the cleanse/diet.. when you were settled in the diet for a few weeks.. did these cravings/hungers pass? also did you aqquire the taste of certain vegetables etc that you wouldnt have ate or liked before the diet?

Kkmetz04
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

I had crazy hunger pains during about the first week I was on the diet. I craved sugar and all carbs, bread pasta chips you name it. It was very very hard for me to get out a cookie for my girls and not eat 5 myself, but I was determined and stuck it out and cannot express how happy I am I that did!! After only 3 weeks I feel better than I have in years!!

catlover345

That’s great to hear. Are you still completely sugar/carb free? Or when you eat now are you completely “satisfied” and don’t have the urge to pig-out on “bad” stuff again? thanks for your reply x

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

I still have sugar craving, though they are getting better. I felt hunger all the time no matter how much I was eating. I would eat a full meal and be full but still hungry and have craving for sugar right after. This makes sense because the candida is hunger and since it is living in my body I become hunger and crave sweet things. My taste buds have changed. I like vegetables more and actually crave salad or cucumbers sometimes. It took me a few months to stop the really bad sugar craving and there not completely gone, but eventually they will be. Coconut bread for some reason helped with the cravings. It just made me feel a little more full and felt like I was having something substantial.
    Hope this helps,
    Lauren

catlover345

Thanks that does help. Yeah i thought it might be candida resulting in the abnormal hunger. I rarely ever drunk water but when i tried to get into drinking it again i would always get a bad headachy feeling.. i figure this must be because the water is making me detox? Also i will try the coconut bread.. does it have sugar in it though? x

Kkmetz04
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

I’m not sure how far along you are in your diet, but according the allowed foods list the coconut flour shouldn’t be something you start until you are at least 2 weeks into your diet.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

You are right Kkmetz! I have been on a candida diet for going on 5 months, though the first month I made a lot of mistakes on what I could eat, so it is really like 4 months. Cat lover I sorry that I forgot to mention the coconut is suppose to be added after 2 weeks 🙂

Downtown
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 39

catlover345,

I rarely ever drunk water but when i tried to get into drinking it again i would always get a bad headachy feeling..

If you werent drinking water, what were you drinking? If you drank sodas, tea, or any other caffeinated product the headache could from caffeine withdrawl.

Did any of you experience intense sugar cravings and hunger when on the cleanse/diet.. when you were settled in the diet for a few weeks.. did these cravings/hungers pass? also did you aqquire the taste of certain vegetables etc that you wouldnt have ate or liked before the diet?

When starting a low carb diet, you dont have that ‘instant’ energy that carbs provide so you feel hungry more often until the body can adjust to regulating sugar according to a normal daily intake.
    When it comes to craving sugar or things not on this diet, instead of focusing so much on what you cant have, try and think about all the good things that are in this diet. I was just thinking about how good the stirfry i made last night was. Experiment. Buy things on the ‘allowed foods’ list you have never tried and google how to prepare them. It’s not only a challenge but can broaden your horizons. You may even find something you really enjoy and never knew about that can help get you through the diet. Ex. Rutabagas for me.

Good luck,
    Dt

Summer
    Topics: 14

Cat,
    I think those feelings are normal and mean you are on track!
    I would eat dinner, then have some eggs, then eat an avocado, then snack on something else vege related and I couldn’t feel “full” because I wanted something sweet.
    Avocados help, after not eating sugar for awhile they have a sweetness to them that is like dessert.

Sometimes I have dreams at night that I’ve cheated on my diet and eaten something really bad like a 6 donuts or a whole pizza. I wake up and I feel really stressed because even in my dream I felt like I was derailing my progress.

The sugar cravings get better and eventually your body will adjust and thrive on your new diet. Stick with it, try not to cheat and you’ll find you feel better than ever before.

Summer
    Topics: 14

ohh and p.s.

The more water you drink the better. Water helps remove toxins and flush your system.
    I’m drinking over a gallon a day now. I set a glass of water by my bed before I go to sleep and first thing in the morning I down it with my probiotics.
    Then I do a warm glass of lemon water (water heated on stove) try to avoid microwaves if you can.

Before I even get ready I’ve already quickly knocked out 2 glasses.

Also, you can get a sweet energy boost by eating a spoonful of extra-virgin coconut oil, it’s sweet, tastes like coconut and gives me a boost before workouts.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

catlover345 wrote: Did any of you experience intense sugar cravings and hunger when on the cleanse/diet.. when you were settled in the diet for a few weeks.. did these cravings/hungers pass? also did you aqquire the taste of certain vegetables etc that you wouldnt have ate or liked before the diet?

There’s a specific reason for the hunger you’re experiencing, and it helps to understand how this relates to your body and the infestation.
    Read the post linked below for a complete explanation.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst944_About-that-Hunger.aspx

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I had bad cravings at the start and was even feeling depressed in the supermarket thinking “I might never eat this stuff again”. After about three weeks the physical ‘twangs’ disappeared, and now I look at those same products and wonder why people buy them. I’ve also started noticing how people’s faces seem to correspond to the nutritional quality of their food. Watching people in the canteen at work scoffing down breads, fried foods, cereals, sweets etc with faces that look twice their age is a harrowing experience. It’s strange I never noticed it before, but now it’s a great source of motivation – I don’t want to look like s**t when I’m 30, so I’ll say no to the white rolls, thanks.

catlover345

Thank you very much for your replies, this has been very helpful indeed. I’ve been trying the cleanse on and off but it would leave me with absolutely no energy and if theres days i needed to do something that would require some more energy than usual, i would stop the cleanse and eat something with high sugar or fat content. I have been making small modifications to my diet for a couple of weeks, stopping all sugar dessert things and introducing more vegetables in my diet. I have not quite gone into the “full-blown” candida diet as of yet, but i am hoping to.

And Downtown, i think you may be right about the caffine withdrawl thing, all i would ever drink is carbonated soda type drinks.. however, the headaches didn’t just come when i completely eliminated the soda drinks.. so that’s why i thought maybe it could be related to the detox thing. You are the first person to mention about caffine withdrawls here though, this could be another reason for alot of peoples inital discomfort/headache type feelings. Do you have any advice on this?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

catlover345 wrote: You are the first person to mention about caffine withdrawls here though, this could be another reason for alot of peoples inital discomfort/headache type feelings. Do you have any advice on this?

We’ve talked about caffeine withdrawal causing the symptoms to appear much worse many times on the forum in the past.

I would never suggest that anyone who has been drinking coffee for a long time (or any other caffeine drink) to stop it all at one time. Since caffeine is an additctive stimulant drug, stopping it all at one time can make you feel many times worse. It’s a lot smarter to ease off of it slowly to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. There’s no sense in adding to your misery if it isn’t necessary.

Able

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi! Just to reassure you that if you make sure you balance your diet correctly after a few weeks then that intense hunger should pass. By about 6 weeks I didn’t feel hungry after a meal and never craved food. Last weekend for the first time in ages (I’ve been ion the diet 3 months) I had sugar cravings so invented some cookies from allowed foods. But I only made them now because I’m so far on and am 99% symptom free (100% most of the time but I don’t want to get cocky!!).

Things that helped me in the early stages were…

*Loads of lemon in hot water – even after the cleanse I was still have up to 6 lemons a day for weeks. Sipped away for the whole day, even when in the car I’d bring a travel mug.
    *In the last 3 weeks I’ve also started Tumeric Tea and have 2 or 3 mugs of that a day just to change things up (its a great anti inflammatory)
    *Late at night I’d have a small cup of greek yoghurt with the tiniest bit of allowed sweetener on it and eat it very slowly with a teaspoon to make it last.
    *I bake aubergine (eggplant), whole garlic cloves & red onion in coconut oil (covered for about 1 hour on medium heat) and it come out sticky sweet – I eat this as 1 of my veggies every evening and gives a real intense flavour and a sweetness that staves off any need for anything else sweet.
    *Rutabaga is the same – either steamed & mashed with loads of coconut oil or roasted as “fries” it tastes really sweet too.

It will get easier if you stick with the diet 100% Cheating is not an option if you want to get better so just put that out of your mind and concentrate on finding things that satisfy.

Make proper meals with 4 or 5 elements on the plate rather than having an egg… then and avocado… then something else. Phychologically you need to feel like you’re having proper meals.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sugar cravings and hunger.’ is closed to new replies.