Sugar Alcohols ( Truvia )

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sugar Alcohols ( Truvia )

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  moochpb 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Hi all,

I have decided to open a post with it to highlight this topic.

I have told many times ( only with the intention of help ) that sugar alcohols doesn’t feed candida. Truvia is relatively safe during an antifungal protocol. I have read claims ( in a medical book ) that Stevia feeds candida. The problem is we CAN NOT believe all what we read and have been told even coming from professionals. The web is full of myths ( more than what you thinks ) about this syndrome. I have read many of them in candida websites. Nosense, myths, and stupid advice !

Sugar Alcohols, such as Xylitol, Erythiritol ( present in Truvia ) and some others are synergistic boosting the antifungal activity of some antifungals solutions.

The enhancement effect of three sugar alcohols on the fungicidal effect of benzethonium chloride toward Candida albicans.
    Ichikawa T, Yano Y, Fujita Y, Kashiwabara T, Nagao K.
    Source
    Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Prosthodontics and Implantology, The University of Tokushima, Institute of Health Biosciences, 3-18-15 Kuramoto, Tokushima 770-8504, Japan. [email protected]
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    The purpose of this study was to evaluate if the sugar alcohols erythritol, xylitol and sorbitol enhance the fungicidal effect of benzethonium chloride (BTC) toward in vitro candidal biofilms.
    METHODS:
    An in vitroCandida albicans biofilm was formed on a plastic coverslip coated with type I collagen. The enhancement of the fungicidal effect was evaluated using microbial assay after treating the biofilm with the test solutions (sugar alcohols: erythritol, xylitol, and sorbitol, each containing BTC solution).
    RESULTS:
    No fungicidal effect was observed with sugar alcohols without BTC. The fungicidal effect of erythritol-containing BTC increased with the erythritol concentration. Further, the level of enhancement of erythritol was the highest in three sugar alcohols.
    CONCLUSION:
    Sugar alcohols, especially erythritol, enhanced the fungicidal effect of BTC toward in vitro candidal biofilms.

Jorge.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

dvjorge;38651 wrote: Sugar Alcohols, such as Xylitol, Erythiritol ( present in Truvia ) and some others are synergistic boosting the antifungal activity of some antifungals solutions.

For the information of the forum: Truvia, which is made from the stevia plant and contains erythiritol, is on the strict diet I designed
    and works with the forum protocol.

Able

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

When you look at anti-fungal activity you also need to consider the anti-bacterial activity as well. If a anti-fungal substance has the same level of antibacterial(affecting good bacteria) activity it is USELESS/COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE!!

No. Sugar alcohols do not feed candida, but xylitol definitely disturbs the habitat of beneficial flora. There is a reason why xylitol causes SEVERE cramping and diarrhea at higher doses!! There are much better alternatives than xylitol for anti-fungal activity. Why would someone want to take something to disturb the habitation of their beneficial flora when that is what they have been working on for months and months!!

When I experimented with xylitol it wreaked havoc on my gut. It caused SEVERE cramping. The cramping was even worst then laxatives. This cramping is disturbing/purging the beneficial flora. Xylitol is a very poor choice for an anti-fungal for the bad effects that it has on the gut flora habitation. Xylitol’s bad effects is not something I read but what my wife I personally experienced.

Many people have reported bad side effects with Erythritol. Go on the net and read all the bad testimonies.

I can say for myself the 2 things that contributed to my bad Gut health was splenda and xylitol. I was perfectly healthy until I introduced these 2 items. Not to mention enteric-coated garlic by ethical nutrients which seemed to further inflame my gut. Enteric-coated garlic is absolutely stupid for someone who already has an inflammed upper GI tract. Unless you plan on chasing it with god knows how many sodium bicarbonate tablets to help neutralize the harsh sulfuric acids.

I have really not found one sweetener that is completely healthy to use on a long term basis. Every one seems to have their own unique side effects. Sweeteners should be used sparingly.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

jameskep;38748 wrote: When you look at anti-fungal activity you also need to consider the anti-bacterial activity as well. If a anti-fungal substance has the same level of antibacterial(affecting good bacteria) activity it is USELESS/COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE!!

No. Sugar alcohols do not feed candida, but xylitol definitely disturbs the habitat of beneficial flora. There is a reason why xylitol causes SEVERE cramping and diarrhea at higher doses!! There are much better alternatives than xylitol for anti-fungal activity. Why would someone want to take something to disturb the habitation of their beneficial flora when that is what they have been working on for months and months!!

When I experimented with xylitol it wreaked havoc on my gut. It caused SEVERE cramping. The cramping was even worst then laxatives. This cramping is disturbing/purging the beneficial flora. Xylitol is a very poor choice for an anti-fungal for the bad effects that it has on the gut flora habitation. Xylitol’s bad effects is not something I read but what my wife I personally experienced.

Many people have reported bad side effects with Erythritol. Go on the net and read all the bad testimonies.

I can say for myself the 2 things that contributed to my bad Gut health was splenda and xylitol. I was perfectly healthy until I introduced these 2 items. Not to mention enteric-coated garlic by ethical nutrients which seemed to further inflame my gut. Enteric-coated garlic is absolutely stupid for someone who already has an inflammed upper GI tract. Unless you plan on chasing it with god knows how many sodium bicarbonate tablets to help neutralize the harsh sulfuric acids.

I have really not found one sweetener that is completely healthy to use on a long term basis. Every one seems to have their own unique side effects. Sweeteners should be used sparingly.

James,

I agree with you about Xylitol. In the past, I have warned people about it. Xylitol is bactericidal. Dr. Leo Galland advice it to treat SIBO.
    Xylitol shouldn’t be used. However, alcohol and sugar alcohols are rapidly absorbed in the upper small bowel going to the blood. Image every time we drink alcohol it going to the colon.

Alcohol and bleach are top antiseptics killing bacterias, viruses, some fungus, etc.

Neither Xylitol nor any sugar alcohol go to the colon but I agree with you about Xylitol. I have never advice it to candida sufferers.

Jorge.

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

so are we saying stevia isnt good for me to use anymore? The sugar alcohols seem to bloat me as I had them in my digestive enzymes

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

It’s my personal opinion (with absolutely NO scientific backup, so take it for what you will) that all sweeteners are a trigger for sweets, and it’s best to stay away from them all. I mean I think a little stevia every once in awhile won’t really hurt you, but it’s just kind of unnatural to dump sweetener into everything all the time, you know? I mean I get it as a stepping stone from sugar to no sugar, but I think it should be that – a stepping stone in the transition process out of sweet stuff. Like a methadone for sugar addicts, LOL!

Just my two cents, and I fully expect to get yelled at for it :p

jameskep
    Participant

Youre right alexa–Sweeteners usually cause cravings. That’s been my experience. About the only sweetener that doesn’t give me cravings is agave nectar (GI index around 30). But processed agave nectar can cause issues of its own with its very high fructose content…. High uric acid+excess might be hard on liver. I was able to get away with agave for about 3 weeks and then I noticed some joint discomfort in my fingers. So there might be a correlation between high uric acid levels and bone+joint discomfort. My father-in law drinks a half a pot of strong coffee a day never gets sick but suffers from a good amount of bone+joint pain.

Tried coconut crystals another low glycemic sweetener. That sweetener made me very bloated.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

moochpb;38778 wrote: so are we saying stevia isnt good for me to use anymore? The sugar alcohols seem to bloat me as I had them in my digestive enzymes

Mooch, you can use pure stevia. If there’s a Trader Joe’s near you, they have two kinds: organic and not. You want the organic one, which is in a smaller bottle and has no additives. The non-organic kind contains lactose and comes in a much larger container. I’ve had a bottle of the organic kind for literally years, since it’s really concentrated and requires such a tiny amount to sweeten anything.

jameskep
    Participant

mooch,
    Stevia usually does not cause issues every now and then, but just keep an eye on it to see if it causes cravings/screws with insulin levels(causing some lethargy).

Julia
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 78

To my knowledge stevia is safe even for diabetics because it does not affect insulin levels (think of it as a herb not a sweetener)
    …also it is not to be used as a sugar replacement in bread type baking because it will not react with the yeast needed for baking many of these items…hence does not affect the yeast we suffer with…however I would not be surprised if it caused a type of allergic reaction (that many of us get with random food items) in some people.
    I use it (stevia powder with no alcohol) on occasion in my coffee or my lemon water 🙂

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

I haven’t noticed any cravings or anything from stevia. I bake with it mostly. I feel like it curbs my cravings a bit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sugar Alcohols ( Truvia )’ is closed to new replies.