Sudden hair loss

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sudden hair loss

This topic contains 31 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sofia10 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Chlofloso wrote: Hi Arijana,

I’m not sure at all, but for me it sounds like we have too little copper in relation to other minerals. I haven’t had the time yet to read about it extensively, but it seems like molybdenum lowers the copper, and the copper in turn interferes with the iron somehow, causing symptoms of not having enough iron (such as hairloss, but I’m not sure about the calf muscle thing).
    I’ll let you know if I find out more about it.

Chloe

Hi Chloe,

I had a test done just few weeks ago and my iron is fine. I even have slightly high erythrocytes. I am drinking nettle leaf tea which restores iron among other things. Not sure if this interfered with the test somehow.

Not sure about copper though as nobody tested that yet.

Thanks,

Arijana

zed
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Hey sorry for the late response,
    Yes I did get tested for copper and copper carrying protein called ceruloplasmin. My serum copper was normal but my ceruloplasmin (binds to and carries copper) was low. This means that there was a lot of unbound copper running around in the blood causing trouble.

Whenever we take zinc or moly, the copper that is stored in the tissues comes out into the blood. But there have to be enough transport proteins like ceruloplasmin and metallotheonein to carry them to the liver and out of the body.

The thing is that both copper deficiency and copper overload can co-exist in the body. The blood can lack copper and the tissues can be overloaded with copper. This happens when there are not enough transport proteins (due to adrenal fatigue or liver dysfunction) which are required to carry copper safely around. Free copper is toxic, so the body in its wisdom sequesters these unbound copper ions into the tissues to protect the body from free radical damage.

This excess copper however can cause all sorts of issues, ranging from racing thoughts, mental issues, even schizophrenia, to physical issues like symptoms of MS, fatigue. Copper imbalance is more common in women than in men with IUD and/or birth control use.

In fact if you have CFS, chances are that you are overloaded in copper (in your tissues) and low in copper in your blood. Taking molybdenum would have further lowered that copper in the blood. I think molybdenum also can cause iron deficiency? I am not sure. But I’ve learned from this experience to be very careful with taking single doses of minerals because it can cause imbalance easily since they are so interdependent and the ratios are more important than a single mineral.

In answer to your question, my hair loss stopped after about a week to ten days after discontinuing zinc and moly.

I would caution against taking copper, but instead would suggest replacing molybdenum with another option for detoxing help.

And since copper is used by the body to kill Candida and other pathogens (for ex. copper sulfate is sprayed on produce to kill fungi), when it is not bioavailable, Candida can more easily flourish.

Some resources:
    http://www.imoa.info/HSE/environmental_data/biology/copper.php
    http://www.tvernonlac.com/copper-toxicity.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Why-Always-Tired-Correcting-Breakthrough/dp/0062515942

kitty
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 20

Hi Zed,

Sorry for my comment about guessing. It was based on this “I have read and researched a lot about copper toxicity. I believe I am copper toxic….”

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences and I’m glad you’re hair loss has stopped.

kitty

this link might be useful too?
    http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ceruloplasmin/tab/test

Chlofloso
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 104

Hi Zed,

Thanks for sharing all that information and for warning me about copper supplementation. I don’t have enough insight to really understand all this, but to be safe I will just lower the molybdenum and see what happens to my hair loss as well as to my die-off symptoms.

Chloë

orka1998
    Participant

So right now I am taking cal/mag/zinc supplement, but only 2 capsules out of recommended three daily. I already stopped moly, but my hair is still falling out (no calf cramps though). I guess I should wait for another few days (I am moly free for about 6-7 days now) and see if my hair loss stops. If not, should I discontinue the cal/mag/zinc supplement as well? Or just trade it in for cal/mag without zinc?

Arijana

Chlofloso

Update on this:

I’ve reduced the molybdenum to 300 mcg a day. The hair loss is still there, but much better. My calf muscles are still feeling extremely tight and weak and I still did not get my menstruation. I don’t really want to lower the molybdenum even more since I still get die-off with this dose of molybdenum whenever I take a high dose of antifungals; and I don’t know if it would be a good idea to lower the dose of antifungals as well. Right now I’m taking 5 teaspoons of coconut oil, 5 drops of clove oil (alternating with oregano oil and thyme oil every 2 weeks), and a little bit of olive leaf extract (just because I want to finish it, I purchased it before I knew about the forum).

Arijana, did your hair loss already get better?

Have a nice day everyone,

Chloë

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Chlofloso wrote: I don’t know if it would be a good idea to lower the dose of antifungals as well.

did your hair loss already get better?

Chole, are you taking a probiotic and having homemade kefir yet?

Your hair loss will stop once you get the infestation under control, unless it’s being caused by another factor having nothing to do with Candida.

Able

Chlofloso

are you taking a probiotic and having homemade kefir yet?

Yes, I’m taking Ultimate Flora (50 billion, 10 strains) since app. 3 weeks. Before that I had a low-count, low-strange probiotic for 3 or 4 weeks, the only thing I could find here. I now ordered Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics (70 billion, 10 strains) since that contains DDS-1. Is that a good choice?
    I had problems with my grains, so I’m currently only drinking homemade kefir from a starter kit. I will get new grains soon, orka is so kind to share hers with me.

Your hair loss will stop once you get the infestation under control

Thanks for saying this Able, good to hear since it is scaring me quite a bit.

I’m eating buckwheat and oat bran (not too much) – would you add millet to have more variety/rotation, or is it safer to stick with the two?

Chloe

orka1998
    Participant

Chlofloso wrote: Update on this:

I’ve reduced the molybdenum to 300 mcg a day. The hair loss is still there, but much better. My calf muscles are still feeling extremely tight and weak and I still did not get my menstruation. I don’t really want to lower the molybdenum even more since I still get die-off with this dose of molybdenum whenever I take a high dose of antifungals; and I don’t know if it would be a good idea to lower the dose of antifungals as well. Right now I’m taking 5 teaspoons of coconut oil, 5 drops of clove oil (alternating with oregano oil and thyme oil every 2 weeks), and a little bit of olive leaf extract (just because I want to finish it, I purchased it before I knew about the forum).

Arijana, did your hair loss already get better?

Have a nice day everyone,

Chloë

Hi Chloe,

My hair-loss did not stop after stopping molybdenum so for me this was not the cause. I am taking cal/mag/zinc supplement and drinking 2-3 cups of nettle leaf tea so I am looking at zinc toxicity as one of the other members mentioned on this thread. I lowered the dose and last time I washed my hair, lots of hair still fell out, but I didn’t completely clog the drain. Still too early to tell.

I did start antifungal so I am going through some die-off so I will not be able to tell what’s causing it as I did notice it’s always worse with die-off. If you are hitting die-off, perhaps this is what’s causing it with you as well?

It is scary. I hope I don’t end up with shaved head hahahaha… My hair still seems to grow out, I have all these short hairs sticking up on top of my head so hopefully it doesn’t stay this way.

FYI I am planning to ship the grains today, but tomorrow and day after tomorrow is a holiday here. If they are not going out for couple of days, I don’t want them sitting in the post office for days. I will let you know if they go out today or not.

Arijana

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My naturopath feels that demineralization goes hand in hand with a candida infestation, so I am taking some homeopathics to address this problem specifically. I lost a lot of hair during the diet, and then it suddenly started to grow back before I went to my naturopath (was becoming cured by the diet in itself). After starting his homeopathics, all of the hair on my body started to grow more rapidly (one of its side effects) so I know its working.

One side effect of a candida infestation is that your body finds other energy sources within the body to use for fighting this off. One of the sources is body fats and muscles which often become weak or taxed fighting candida. The other is the body use of trace minerals as an energy source to fight candida (bones, teeth, hair, etc). Symptoms such as arthritis, muscle weakness, muscle twitches, etc. are very common on the diet because of these problems.

I personally had a lot of muscle tissue loss from the diet but it finally seems to be reversing.

-raster

sp1543
    Participant
    Replies: 57

Chlofloso wrote:

are you taking a probiotic and having homemade kefir yet?

Yes, I’m taking Ultimate Flora (50 billion, 10 strains) since app. 3 weeks. Before that I had a low-count, low-strange probiotic for 3 or 4 weeks, the only thing I could find here. I now ordered Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics (70 billion, 10 strains) since that contains DDS-1. Is that a good choice?
    I had problems with my grains, so I’m currently only drinking homemade kefir from a starter kit. I will get new grains soon, orka is so kind to share hers with me.

Your hair loss will stop once you get the infestation under control

Thanks for saying this Able, good to hear since it is scaring me quite a bit.

I’m eating buckwheat and oat bran (not too much) – would you add millet to have more variety/rotation, or is it safer to stick with the two?

Chloe

Have you got on the Nizoral shampoo while you are searching for an internal solution?

If not: do it. Hair loss is not something to act slowly on. My sister has been through this same situation.

-Kyle

Anonymous
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Do we have a definitive view on the temporary intake of molybdenum during periods of die-off? Is this not enough to cause a mineral (specifically copper) imbalance vs. taking high dosages for extended periods of time?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve been trying to do some research today during lunch, but only came up with this one study:

“Molybdenum affects the concentrations of other trace elements in the blood and tissues but, except for copper, the interrelationships have not been studied in detail.”

http://www.imoa.info/HSE/environmental_data/biology/copper.php

This was study on animals and not humans.

I don’t want to scare anyone without having good information, but just wanted to share what I found after a brief 5 minute search. Molybdenum has a lot of benefits as well; I guess its all about finding a balance within the body.

-raster

Chlofloso

Have you got on the Nizoral shampoo while you are searching for an internal solution?

Hi Kyle,

I had to wait for an appointment with the doctor who prescribed the Nizoral shampoo, but now I finally have it. Used it yesterday and will continue to use it, however, after mid May I cannot use it anymore since I will live in a place in the mountains where I am only allowed to use biodegradable shampoo, and I’m afraid that two weeks might not be enough. How long did your sister use it? How long did it take until the hair stopped falling out?

Thanks raster for the info, I had actually read the same article. I also know that a form of molybdenum is used to treat Wilson’s disease, a disease where the body accumulates copper, in order to eliminate the copper from the body. However, that form used there is tetrathiomolybdate, so I guess it’s bound to sulfur, not amino acids if I’m right. In the end we can’t be sure, in each case I will update here once I get my copper test back, and will decide based on that whether to increase my molybdenum intake or not. I know that most forum members had no problem with taking molybdenum, so maybe my symptoms are just due to Candida and not to copper deficiency.

Chloë

dforbreakfast
    Replies: 39

Glad I found this thread.

Since I started this diet, my leg cramps have gotten TERRIBLE. I get them at all hours, all day long, but especially when I’m lying down.

About a year ago I started having a LOT of hair loss, but when I started taking magnesium (and then started this diet) it got much better. Suddenly now I’m having massive hair loss again, as of a few days ago.

I also just missed my period for the first time EVER (no chance of pregnancy).

After reading this thread I’m thinking about lowering or simply stopping the molybdenum supplement that I’ve been taking. I hope it helps! Can’t afford blood testing with no health insurance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sudden hair loss’ is closed to new replies.