Sudden hair loss

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sudden hair loss

This topic contains 31 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sofia10 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Chlofloso
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 104

A few days ago I suddenly started losing a lot of hair. I never had this before. I’m not having strong die-off symptoms at the moment, so I don’t think it’s connected to die-off. Since copper is connected to iron metabolism, I’m wondering if the hair loss could be a result of copper deficiency due to too much molybdenum? I also didn’t have my last menstruation. Should I be worried? I will start drinking nettle leaf tea more often and will order a copper supplement. Meanwhile, should I reduce my molybdenum intake? I’m taking 750 mcg per day, could that be too much since I don’t weigh much (51kg, 112 lb)? Or could there be another reason for the sudden onset of hair loss?

I’m currently taking 3-5 teaspoons of coconut oil, 2 capsules of caprylic acid and 2 drops of oregano oil plus the occasional raw garlic. I think that I’d have to reduce antifungals if I reduce molybdenum, and am afraid that I would then not be taking enough antifungals. What’s your advice?

Chloë

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Chloë.

Hair loss and irregular menstrual cycles are both symptoms of Candida, not die-off. It often takes a while for either of these two symptoms to begin. The menstruation problems are due to a false estrogen which is produced during a Candida infestation, and the hair loss is believed to be caused by the malabsorption of nutrients during the infestation, sometimes due to leaky gut, but not necessarily. Logically, curing the infestation should definitely clear up both problems.

How long have you been taking Molybdenum at 750 mcg per day?

Able

Chlofloso

Hello Able,

Thanks for the reply. I am taking molybdenum 750 mcg since five weeks. Should I reduce it after a certain time? In that case I hope that the hair loss and irregular cycle will just be transient symptoms… I was a bit concerned that either of them could be due to the weight loss that I’ve experienced since starting the diet, or be in connection with molybdenum.

Chloë

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Chlofloso wrote: Hello Able, Thanks for the reply. I am taking molybdenum 750 mcg since five weeks. Should I reduce it after a certain time? In that case I hope that the hair loss and irregular cycle will just be transient symptoms… I was a bit concerned that either of them could be due to the weight loss that I’ve experienced since starting the diet, or be in connection with molybdenum.

Chloë, I think you could lower the molybdenum by one pill for a few days and watch for die-off symptoms to reappear; if they don’t, then after another week, you could lower it by another pill. Hopefully you’ve reduced the amount of the overgrowth sufficiently in order to prevent really bad die-off.

Able

sp1543
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 57

My advice is start using Nizoral shampoo asap to prevent further loss while you sort the internal problem.

Chlofloso

Chloë, I think you could lower the molybdenum by one pill for a few days and watch for die-off symptoms to reappear; if they don’t, then after another week, you could lower it by another pill. Hopefully you’ve reduced the amount of the overgrowth sufficiently in order to prevent really bad die-off.

I suppose you are talking about the 250 mcg pills. I have the 150 mcg ones since they couldn’t deliver the other ones, so I’ll follow your advice by gradually lowering the amount one by one, ending with 300 mcg / day unless you tell me to do something else.

My advice is start using Nizoral shampoo asap to prevent further loss while you sort the internal problem.

Thanks Kyle, I will check it out.

Chloë

zed
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Chloe, I have read and researched a lot about copper toxicity. I believe I am copper toxic…. and I followed a protocol of taking zinc and molybdenum about 6 months back to reduce my copper. Within one month I had severe hair loss. I would stop using molybdenum if I were you and use something else in its place. I am still not sure what exactly is the imbalance or what caused what but my hairloss happened after high doses of zinc and molybdenum(500-750 mcg). http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

kitty
    Replies: 20

Chloë and Zed,

You can get blood tested for copper and zinc. Copper zinc ratio is important so have both done. Zinc and Molybdenum can reduce copper.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Once your die-off symptoms have reduced or gone away, you don’t need to take molybdenum as much anymore. Its not meant to be taken long term. My naturopath warned me about it causing the loss of minerals in the body so thats why he didnt recommend it. I believe that there may be a link between the molybdenum and your hair loss, and I’d research it further.

I’d take some trace mineral vitamins such as a calcium/zinc/magnesium vitamin and there are others you can take as well (iodine, potassium, etc).

Candida also can cause mineral deficiencies due to a few reasons, so its important to mineralize while fighting this off.

-raster

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I lost a lot of hair before treatment but not sure if this was due to candida or the fact that I had persistent diarrhea for almost 4 months. Come to think of it, I was loosing hair since giving birth to my girls, but I read that this was normal as during pregnancy you grow extra hair so it falls out after the hormones are going back to normal. Now, my hair kept growing out, but it kept falling out a lot. I would have handfuls of hair that I brush out after washing my hair. I even cut it short thinking it will help, but it didn’t.

This kind of stopped for a while after I started treatment, then it started again and I thought that it was due to die-off. Around same time I started having cramping pain in my calf muscles which usually indicates missing minerals. I was taking cal/mag/zinc as suggested here (100% RDA), and it kind of was better, but was coming back all the time and sometimes back to what it was before. Then I reduced cal/mag/zinc by one dose and take only two thirds of the RDA now. Cramps were still there.

Then I noticed that it gets a little better after I drink nettle leaf tea. Since this tea helps with iron and some trace minerals I realized that I am still deficient in some of them. Did a test about a weak ago for electrolytes but only natrium (Na, sodium) was a bit lower, calcium, magnesium, kalium (potassium), chloride and phosphate were normal. Copper was not part of the test, but can copper imbalance cause cramping or just hair loss?

I also noticed that after drinking kefir, I feel kind of a cooling effect in my calf muscles and not much cramping after that. I know kefir contains many minerals.

I noticed cramping getting better as I reduced the dose of molybdenum. I now stopped it two days ago and cramping is barely there. I was going to stop anyway as it seemed I am not under much of die-off any more but was thinking to keep taking one 150mcg daily to continue detoxing my liver as a maintenance until I finish treatment.

I am curious to hear if others who wrote here notice improvement after stopping molybdenum?

Personally for short time period I would rather protect my liver and suffer some cramps than damage such a vital organ. Hair? Well as long as it is still growing I am hoping I will not end up with a q-ball image hahahaha That would look stunning on a female ha-ha. On the other hand I would like to know if molybdenum or something else is causing these symptoms.

I am still testing if molybdenum caused something (I’ve been taking it for about a month). Many people have taken it without problems so I don’t really want to believe it. I now have just normal random body aches but no cramping.

Curious as to what others thoughts are and what you have to report.

Arijana

Chlofloso

my hairloss happened after high doses of zinc and molybdenum(500-750 mcg).

Zed, did your hairloss stop when you stopped taking zinc and molybdenum? Thanks for telling me this.

Around same time I started having cramping pain in my calf muscles which usually indicates missing minerals.

Arijana, this is very interesting since my calf muscles are very cramped as well. They are so since about one month. However, I went snowboarding for three hours a few days before the cramping started and I attributed it to this. I knew that any sports are a problem for me with CFS and that my muscles usually don’t recover in a normal time range, but still went for it because sitting at home is just killing me. After that my leg muscles felt completely empty for a long time, I could only walk stairs very slowly and the cramping is persisting until today. My muscles are completely hard. I know it was not a very good idea to go snowboarding, but still I find it strange that even after five weeks my muscles have not recovered, so there might be a connection with the copper story… I will slowly decrease my molybdenum dose and am curious what happens.
    How is your cramping now? Did it stay away?

Chloë

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Chlofloso wrote:
    Arijana, this is very interesting since my calf muscles are very cramped as well. They are so since about one month. However, I went snowboarding for three hours a few days before the cramping started and I attributed it to this. I knew that any sports are a problem for me with CFS and that my muscles usually don’t recover in a normal time range, but still went for it because sitting at home is just killing me. After that my leg muscles felt completely empty for a long time, I could only walk stairs very slowly and the cramping is persisting until today. My muscles are completely hard. I know it was not a very good idea to go snowboarding, but still I find it strange that even after five weeks my muscles have not recovered, so there might be a connection with the copper story… I will slowly decrease my molybdenum dose and am curious what happens.
    How is your cramping now? Did it stay away?

Chloë

Hi Chloe,

I felt exactly what you described but I did not go for snowboarding. I do walk about a mile or two to my car almost every day, but it’s just a walk not a lot of exercise. My calf muscles felt so tight at times it was painful to walk. They would tighten up while sitting as well.

I don’t have any cramping for two days. I do get random aches but not only in calf muscles but throughout my body. Those are not very strong, but this cramping was tough. I would try to massage muscles to loosen them up but nothing worked. At the moment my left calf muscle feels a bit tender but not cramping or tight.

I still get that cool sensation in my calf muscles after drinking kefir or nettle leaf tea (I know it doesn’t make much sense but have been tracking it for a while now) like my clothing is wet there or something. So strange.

So you think we are deficient in copper or had too much of?

Arijana

kitty

Orka1998,

Copper imbalance can cause muscle aches. You can get a blood test done for copper, but ask for zinc at the same time.

There’s no need to guess, as Zed did, if you’re deficient in Copper (or have too much), since it can be tested for.

If you think it might be Copper, then I’d recommend eating more allowed Copper rich foods and as well as reduce the Molybdenum as Able and Raster have said.

Chlofloso

Hi Arijana,

I’m not sure at all, but for me it sounds like we have too little copper in relation to other minerals. I haven’t had the time yet to read about it extensively, but it seems like molybdenum lowers the copper, and the copper in turn interferes with the iron somehow, causing symptoms of not having enough iron (such as hairloss, but I’m not sure about the calf muscle thing).
    I’ll let you know if I find out more about it.

Chloe

kitty

Chloe, Arijana

Copper plays a role in iron transport and deficiency can cause muscle aches.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Sudden hair loss’ is closed to new replies.