Stupid Starbucks :(

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Stupid Starbucks :(

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I am SO MAD!!! I’m on vacation and I’ve been doing really well with the diet. Thankfully, I have an amazingly understanding cousin that is letting me crash at his house and use his kitchen. I’ve been turning away from temptation left and right and it’s been difficult, but I’ve done it! (A few certain types of authentic Japanese food are some of my biggest weaknesses, but I also love Japanese culture, so two trips through Little Tokyo without stopping for snacks was a feat beyond belief for me :p)

I sent him to Starbucks this morning to grab me a chamomile tea, thinking they would just have plain. WELL…I drank it and thought it tasted a little funny, but I was in a hurry…after I finished it, I saw it was Tazo “Calm Chamomile”. Figured I’d still be fine.

We went off to go on a short hike with some friends and I nearly had to turn around. I had a panic attack and started crying and hyperventilating on the side of the trail! Super out of character for me, and incredibly embarrassing 🙁 I have never had a panic attack like that before. Then, tonight, I started getting the same symptoms that happen when I eat sugar – intense bladder and urethral pain for about 3 hours, then it subsides.

I was wracking my brain to think of why that would have happened…literally the only thing different from usual that I had today was that stupid tea! 🙁 I looked it up online…”natural flavors” in the ingredients. UGH! The only other thing I could possibly think of is that I had a glass of unfiltered tap water, but I can’t see how that would cause such a crazy reaction. I guess “natural flavors” can equal sugar or something, I don’t know :p

Anyway, moral of the story is, don’t cheat and read every label super carefully! I just hope I didn’t set myself back too far. I’m feeling mostly better now…bladder still hurting just a little bit. I’m so mad 🙁

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Do you drink chamomile tea very often at all?

It is antifungal so if you haven’t had it before, it could hit you hard.

The natural flavors are a cause for a concern but I am unsure if this would’ve done it.

Was any sugar added to it by your friend or the barista?

Did you have any strange mindset before drinking it, like “man these natural flavors might mess me up?”

-raster

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I didn’t know chamomile is an antifungal. Crazy.

And Alex, supersadface, dude.

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

That sucks man for just having a tea. You didn’t set yourself back you just had a hiccup. Hope your pain goes away but just keep doing what your doing

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I didn’t. Know chamomile tea was antifungal eitheir. I have bad bladder pain from sugar and Carb also its really the main symptoms I have. I’m sorry that happened man I’m sure its not tap water I drink tap sumtimes with no problem maybe its die off like raster mention or natural flavors.

Die off for me is worse bladder pain often I don’t think it set u back.

alexalgebra

Sorry for delayed reply…just got back from vacation. I thought I replied before but I think my computer ate it.

So no, I didn’t know there were natural flavors when i was drinking it, I found out after when I looked up the tea online. It didn’t taste like there was sugar in it, and my cousin said he ordered it specifically without. I have drank 100% chamomile before with no problems. I also have never had bladder pain as a die-off symptom…it was just a weird thing that would happen if I ate too much sugar, pre-diet, although I had to have a fair bit of sugar to bring it on. Like a small piece of candy wouldn’t do it, but five would, sort of thing.

Who knows :p

I had a little residual bladder pain into the next day, but I’ve been fine since. I think my body is happy to be home and back to the routine, even though I wish I was still basking in sunny socal, LOL.

I am, however, happy to report that aside from that bit of weirdness, I made it through a week-long vacation, including 2 days of Disneyland and my birthday, without cheating! Go me! I think it actually helped to tell myself that if I decided to, I could cheat on my birthday, because knowing that I could if I wanted to actually made me feel more like I didn’t want to, in some weird way.

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

I’ve learned that sometimes Natural flavors can have hidden MSG in it. I’ve learned that the hard way as it kept me up half the night with me feeling overstimulated. Side effects from MSG can be very unique. Its a different kind of stimulation from caffeine or other stimulants. MSG will sometimes feel like it overstimulates my nerves and hunger.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/378333-the-side-effects-of-monosodium-glutamate-msg/

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

Oh Alex, that sucks. Sorry you had to go through that. I love chamomile tea, but I can’t have it because of my severe ragweed allergy.

Kudos to you, though, for sticking to your plan through vacation. I am hoping I can do the same. We are going to Vegas this month, and then Punta Cana in May. Goddess help me.

Rachelle

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Southern California’s fancy vegan options are delicious and numerous, so I commend you on making it through your birthday week without folding at all!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Alex,

This is unfortunate; I believe the natural flavors messed you up. If you wanted to, you can visit TAZO tea here in portland, there headquarters is found here. I would ask them what natural flavors are and why this needs to be labelled. They are a general commercial grade standard around here so I am surprised to see you having a bad reaction to it. Tell them you need to know what this is because you had an allergic reaction to it.

-raster

alexalgebra

James – Yeah, MSG messes me up big time, but usually in the form of a face/arm rash. Have been actively avoiding that one for many years :p

Shell – Oh man! Good luck…Vegas might not be too bad, but Punta Cana is going to be really hard. I got through it by cooking all of my own food at my cousins house. I had to buy him a blender when I got there though, LOL. I don’t think I could have done it without a kitchen. Actually, I KNOW I couldn’t have done it without a kitchen.

Raster – Good idea…I’ll drop them an email today and figure out where the HQ is and if I can speak with someone there. Natural flavors have long been the bane of my existence because oh, it’s “natural”, so “natural” food products seem to be fine with sneaking them in when they are COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY and food tastes just fine without them!! :p They just add that crap in to further addict people to their shit quality fake frankenfoods and make more money and it’s BS!! *gets off soapbox*

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

And here I am drinking a tonne of chamomile tea to try and flush the toxic overload and horrendous candida-induced anxiety I am currently undergoing. I don’t think I own a herbal tea that isn’t anti-fungal which is an achievement since I am such a god dam hippy.

Funbuzz1
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 9

Glad you got through your vacation without a cheat! I got through my business event without a cheat as well! Very sorry to read about the anxiety pang. Bummer. I’m glad I preplanned my food and groceries while I was on the trip. It would have been nearly impossible otherwise. Great. Job Alex! Woot Woot!

alexalgebra

Yeah Funbuzz!! I was gonna PM you and ask how the business thing went, but got preoccupied with my vacation. I’m glad you made it!! Yeah, that pre-plan that I sent you was a godsend…I actually didn’t follow it all that closely once I got there, but it put me in the right frame of mind to be able to adjust on the fly when, y’know, vacation-y stuff came up. Go us!! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Starbucks :(’ is closed to new replies.