Struggling: Need advice

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Struggling: Need advice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  doublek 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kenyonator1
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Disclaimer before I start: I am in no way trying to disparage this diet. I’m just voicing my frustrations.

I am a 28 year old (29 next week) male. I was diagnosed with IBS in November 2016. It has given me almost no problems until about 3-6 months ago, when I started to get some gas and minor bloating. Nothing that I couldn’t ignore – it really wasn’t that bad. However, around that same time I also started to develop what I would call acne on my upper arms. I read that when you get acne on your body it is more likely to be fungal than “regular” acne. Over the past 3-4 weeks the acne as spread and is now basically from my hair line on the back of my neck all the way down to my butt, as well as all the way down my forearms to my wrists. Super embarrassing and really the main reading I am trying anything. I have noticed that my bloating has gotten worse over the past couple of months to the point where my stomach looks very distended, but again, does not give me any physical discomfort. I started this diet about 3 days ago and I am very frustrated. I don’t think I have a lot of die off but I’ve never been as depressed as I have been the past 3 days. Here are my concerns.

1. I’m not getting enough calories. For the past 3 days I’ve taken in less than 1000 calories per day. I have researched this enough to know that low carb/no sugar should not mean less calories. But then how do I get my calories? I feel so much worse physically the past couple of days. And it’s not die off, I think it’s my lack of proper caloric intake.

2. This is a very expensive diet. I am a social worker (about $40,000 per year) and my wife is in law school full time, so we don’t have the money to buy the extra healthy food that is required, not to mention the nutritionists, naturopaths, and tests that everyone recommends.

3. I live a generally low stress life. There have been some stressful moments over the past year but they’ve all pass. My day to day life has little to no stress. Ironically, what has stressed me out the most is this diet and lifestyle. Again, I’m a 29 year old male and I’ve cried and felt hopeless more in the last 2 days than I have in the past 8 years. I’m overwhelmed with the change. While my wife and I cook frequently – we also enjoy eating out a couple (about 2, sometimes 1, every so often 3) of times per week and it’s a big part of our relationship. Sometimes I think people on this forum and those who prescribe to the diet forget that for many people it’s not easy to just “make some coconut bread whenever you’re hungry”. So my questions are this. How do I get enough calories, on a budget, without having to make every single meal from scratch? Also, I’ve read that some carbs are important (for energy, mood, heart health, etc). How do I get some carbs without overdoing it?

This has turned into a giant rant and for that I apologize. I think I’m just looking for someone who feels or has felt my pain. Also, what I see of a lot in terms of responses on this forum is people doubling down being real hard on the diet, telling them to get the diet right or you’ll never get better. I don’t think some people realize that saying things like “if you eat this your Candida will rule you forever” is very demoralizing and scary, even if it is true.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and responses.

Kenyonator1
    Participant
    Replies: 2

I should note that I did see a dermatologist about the acne and she confirmed it is fungal.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Replies: 386

Have you read this page: https://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-weight-loss/

It has some good tips on increasing your calorie intake. I would add eggs to that list too.

The diet doesn’t have to be that expensive. Sure, it’s better to get organic foods if you can. But if you can’t afford that then just buy what you can. It’s more about the foods that you’re eating, rather than making sure everything is organic. The biggest thing, really, is just to cut out all the added sugars.

As for supplements, there are cheaper options too. For example, you can make your own sauerkraut really easily from a cabbage and some salt. Probiotic yogurt too.

You don’t necessarily need naturopaths, nutritionists etc. It sounds like you’re already trying some changes by yourself.

Try making the coconut bread in a large batch, then freeze some of it. Or the muffins, or any other of the healthy snacks. Make them on a Sunday and you’ll have snacks for the whole week.

I hope some of those tips help!!

doublek
    Participant
    Replies: 46

I’ve been losing weight now too. Not so much when I began the diet a couple months ago, but just in the last few weeks. You should make sure you eat coconut oil, not just because its antifungal, but its also high in calories. I was away for a few days over the weekend and didn’t take the coconut oil (substituting it with caprylic acid) and I lost even more weight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Struggling: Need advice’ is closed to new replies.