stool sample did not grow yeast

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions stool sample did not grow yeast

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kaydiddles 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kaydiddles
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I have been dealing with external yeast infections (vaginal, oral, and athlete’s foot) after receiving an IV antibiotic a year ago. I followed an anti-candida diet for 3 months getting all symptoms under control but as soon as I added back a small amount of sugar and fruit, the symptoms returned along with digestive problems. At this point, I consulted a local functional medicine doctor who ordered stool tests and the culture did not grow yeast but showed an imbalance in my gut flora….too much bad bacteria and not enough good. She suggested I follow a SIBO diet which eliminated some of the anti-candida foods I had been using and I got worse so I have returned to assuming the primary cause of my issues is candida. Do you know if it is common to have an overgrowth of yeast without it showing in a culture of your stool?

Wiley200
    Participant
    Replies: 386

It’s possible. That’s why many stool tests ask for something like 3 samples, on consecutive days. It reduces the chance of the test results being corrupted by a meal or activity that might change the composition of whatever makes it through into a single stool.

Was your test a single or multiple sample?

Kaydiddles
    Participant
    Replies: 3

It was a comprehensive test with multiple samples from 4 different days but my topical yeast infections were under control at that point except getting a vaginal yeast infection after trying to add fruit to my diet. I had read that yeast can me present in microscopic amounts in the stool (still wreaking havoc on your body) but not enough to grow a culture. Just curious if that is true. To make matters worse, the functional med. dr. put me on an antibiotic because she thought the bacterial overgrowth was the primary problem due to no yeast in Mycology culture and I also altered my diet because foods that are suitable for bacterial overgrowth aren’t necessarily in line with foods that fight candida so I am now dealing with previously eliminated symptoms of yeast in my sinuses.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.