Stomach ache after eating coconut flour

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Stomach ache after eating coconut flour

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rabelais 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

barb_p
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 8

Hello, I’ve been on the diet for about 2 months now, no cheating, I do eat some grains (once a day, usually buckwheat groats with yogurt for breakfast – but not every day), no nuts and seeds, mostly vegg (raw salad for lunch, veggie soup for dinner etc). I am ok with coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flakes etc, it only seems that coconut flour gives me a terrible stomach ache. Today I’ve made some coconut biscuits from coconut flour, coconut milk, ginger, pieces of cracked coconut, two eggwhites, a pinch of stevia and a bit of lemon juice. After eating about 4 biscuits I started feeling uncomfort and pain in my stomach with occasional cramps. It didnt happen for a first time, about three weeks ago I had some pastry made from coconut flour and I got as exactly the same cramps as I had today. Do you think it really can be the coconut flour? It doesnt quite make sense to me as I am completely fine with other coconut products. Thanks a lot. Barbara (21)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Try out teff flour instead and see if the problem persists. You could be deficient in stomach acid or have other problems we can’t diagnose over internet. Typically food allergies encompass different symptoms.

-raster

barb_p

Ok, I’ll try my best (although all the changes just get a bit dodgy after a while haha) Thank you, raster :).

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

How about a different milk? Almond milk or hemp milk is a better alternative to coconut milk which is more inflammatory and can cause the symptoms you mentioned.
    Annoying because coconut milk is pretty tasty, but may be better without it.

barb_p

Hiya, well, as I said, I have never had any reaction to coconut milk by itself. I put it in my cereals (or porridge), chicory coffee latte, my creamy soups and never ever anything. I quite like almond milk, but I havent got time for making my own regularly and the store ones (e.g. Alpro almond milk) contain different starches, thickeners and ‘gums’ I’d rather prefer to avoid as it does nothing good to my body. I might try to look up the hemp milk although I dont think I’ll be able to find a brand without all the nasty ‘extra’ ingredients I mentioned. Thank you, I appreciate every caring reply :).

raster
    Participant

Try the bread without the coconut milk, it could be the combination of it causing problems…

-raster

TheXtremisT
    Participant

No problem 🙂

Yes it’s always best to avoid those ingredients and go natural.

I use the Alpro unsweetened almond milk, despite better judgement, but it’s not the worst thing in the world.

barb_p

I bought the alpro milk last week as well, I just try not to have it that often though :).

Raster, you mentioned I could be deficient in stomach acid, so I did some research and I’ve decided to try out some digestive bitters (found a uk brand without alcohol) and/or betaine hcl with pepsin supplement. Should I purchase both or just one of them? thanks 🙂 B.

TheXtremisT
    Participant

barb_p;60618 wrote: I bought the alpro milk last week as well, I just try not to have it that often though :).

Raster, you mentioned I could be deficient in stomach acid, so I did some research and I’ve decided to try out some digestive bitters (found a uk brand without alcohol) and/or betaine hcl with pepsin supplement. Should I purchase both or just one of them? thanks 🙂 B.

If I may weigh in, I take both and helps with flatulence, burping and heartburn. I just don’t know the correct doseage with different meal types (eggs with veg, vs meat with veg…).

I use the alcohol free swedish bitters from Flora, made from Maria’s formula which is an aqueous extract. I helps me digest eggs I find. For 250ml it costs £23-27. It’s the best one in my opinion.

Which one did you find? I bought a version from Mountain Fresh, alcohol free, says just swedish bitter herbs in a glycerin tincture. It tasted sugary and weak, so I didn’t try it any further.

barb_p

Thanks for your helpful post, I was actually really considering taking both together :). I found this brand http://www.baldwins.co.uk/swedish-bitters-liquid-alcohol-free which I think is quite cheap and the ingredients look ok. I’m not sure about the dosage as I havent tried anything like that before, but I suppose I’ll figure out that later. What I’m also not sure about is how long I can take those bitters because the website says that you should take them only for two weeks otherwise it can damage your intestinal lining . http://www.thecandidadiet.com/swedish-bitters.htm

raster
    Participant

I can chime in about HCL and its typically safe to take long term, but I haven’t ever tried bitters. I would follow the directions on the back of the bottle.

Almond milk and coconut milk are both items that can be problematic so I would try the coconut bread without either and then with one at a time and see which item is the problem. Ideally you should be making almond milk at home fresh because it’ll contain less molds, you can soak the nuts for 24 hours in water and then blend it up and strain. Coconut milk is antifungal. If you lack stomach acid then your body won’t break down the foods you eat.

-raster

smurfie
    Participant
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 52

Its hard to tell which ingredient it is.

I know if it was me eating them, my stomach would have reacted to the ginger and the lemon juice because Im sensitive to those things.
    I usually like to try one new ingredient at the time so I know what i’m reacting to.

Hope you’ll find out, then maybe you could replace the ingredient with something else.

barb_p

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it. Will try as much as I can to get better.

r.andy1
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

There is no medicine for almost all painful diseases. Hence they become chronic.
    Acidity, excessive wind, cold , heat, sour food and sinusitis, constipation, intestinal inflammation;
    Blockage in the flow of Vital Energy are their causes. None of them can be treated with medicine.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

There is good medicine for many painful diseases, but not yet for all of them.

Vital Energy is a theory that is not supported by any evidence.

Rabelais

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stomach ache after eating coconut flour’ is closed to new replies.