Stevia Chocolate

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hypnosandra 3 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

orangestar
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

It’s funny that a lot of the chocolate bars that are “stevia sweetened” actually contain Erythritol or Maltitol BEFORE Stevia in the ingredients list. This is fine if your stomach can handle these sugar alcohols but I think it’s better to avoid them.

An Erythritol-free (and yummy) chocolate we eat a lot on our no-sugar diet is called Pure Love Chocolate and it can be ordered online and found at some health food stores/co-ops.

Of course if I have time I’ll play around with cacao powder in smoothies and other concoctions. I have been seeing some nice recipes out there.

Curious what other people are doing to enjoy chocolate on a no-sugar diet…And about stevia–do you think it’s possible to acquire a taste for it, or is it just a matter of some people’s palate not doing well with it?

Susan
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Hi,
    Thank you for the info because I LOVE chocolate myself 🙂
    I really like the taste of the Stevia I have been using … BUT … although it says organic, it is made with de-ionized water, Stevia leaf extract and alcohol.
    Do you (or does anyone know) if the liquid Stevia from Trader Joe’s that has 11% alcohol is safe on this diet ? It doesn’t specify the alcohol by name/type, just says ‘alcohol’.
    I can’t find 100% pure Stevia.
    HELP !!!
    Thank you.

Susan

orangestar
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

Hi Susan,
    There are definitely good 100% Stevia extracts available that do not include alcohol. They are in a powdered form and require getting the hang of dispensing (less is more!), but once you get the feel for it, it’s fairly easy to work with. One is NuNaturals. Search for “NuNaturals Nustevia Pure White Stevia Extract” — you can find it on iHerb, Amazon and other online retailers, or at a local food co-op or health food store.

hypnosandra
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 9

I just add cacao whenever I can to recipes. the tricky part for me is finding ways to sub liquid &/or powder stevia for the sugar in some of my old recipes. Granulated sugar lends a certain bulk and texture that can’t easily be attained with stevia. As for the taste of stevia – some people just don’t like it. You’ll get a slightly bitter taste similar to artificial sweeteners (one of my reactions to them) if you use too much, but it’s so potent folks might be misjudging how much to use. I love it! if there was a way to get it in granulated form without them mixing it with sugar alcohols like erythritol, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stevia Chocolate’ is closed to new replies.