Stevia allergy

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Stevia allergy

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jameskep 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mtgirl99
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

Is there a good alternative to using stevia? I am allergic to it (makes my throat swell!) and that seems to be the only “safe” sweetner.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

What brand do you use? If it is a brand that contains maltodextrin or other related sugars then it isn’t safe for the candida diet.

Xylitol is an alternative but I haven’t tried it. I would be very careful with it.

-raster

mtgirl99
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

I’ve known for several years that I can’t use it, so I don’t use any brand. It doesn’t seem to matter what it’s in or how it’s used, I get the same result.

Faye
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 10

I use Stevia, xylitol & Erythritol, sometimes you find Stevia mixed with Erythritol, stevia comes from a plant whereas the other two are sugar alcohols I heard all 3 of them are fine on a candida diet as they do not raise the sugar in our blood & they do not affect glycemic index, Stevia & Erythritol is alot less sweeter than Stevia so you have to use more but tastes so much better, here’s something I found about Erythritol, hope it’s helpful!
    “Erythritol [part of stevia]is a natural bulk sweetener that has zero sugar, zero calories and zero aftertaste. It does not promote tooth decay and is a good choice for people with diabetes because it does not affect glycemic index. It is about 60 to 70 percent as sweet as sugar, provides bulk to products and masks the aftertaste of intense sweeteners. Unlike other sugar alcohols, erythritol does not produce gastrointestinal side effects in normally consumed quantities.

And this one is from a non-Truvia site. body ecology no urls please
    Quote: Erythritol is not your average sugar alcohol.

Used as a natural sweetener, erythritol is about 60 – 80% as sweet as sucrose (sugar). It is used primarily in chewing gum, baked goods and beverages and occurs naturally in pears, soy sauce, wine, sake, watermelon and grapes.

In fact, erythritol has even been found to exist naturally in human tissues and body fluids.1

After much toxicology and clinical studies, erythritol has been found to be safe for consumption as a sugar substitute, even when consumed on a daily basis and in high amounts.2 While Body Ecology does not recommend eating any sweetener in high amounts, we do believe that the sweet taste is a natural part of our diets.

Erythritol is4:

Fermented – it is made by fermenting the natural sugar found in corn.

Heat stable up to 160 degrees C.

Non-caloric – While most sugar alcohols are low calorie, erythritol has zero calories.

Non-glycemic – Does not raise blood sugar – erythritol is considered suitable for people with diabetes because it does not raise plasma glucose or insulin levels.

The easiest sugar alcohol to digest – more than 90% of erythritol is absorbed in the small intestine, so minimal amounts reach the colon where other sugar alcohols end up causing diarrhea and other symptoms. Studies have shown that erythritol is even easier to digest than xylitol.

Noncarcinogenic– studies have shown that erythritol, like xylitol, does not have carcinogenic properties.

An antioxidant – erythritol helps to fight free radicals, responsible for the aging process. It is considered to be even more efficient than other sugar alcohols because it is so readily absorbed and yet not metabolized (it is excreted unchanged).
    My suggestion would be for you to try Xylitol & Erythritol & see how your body reacts to them, that’s the best way to know I think, hope this helped!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I don’t care much for stevia, so I have actually just stopped using sweeteners completely. It did not take long for my tastes to adjust to things not being candy sweet, and it’s actually nice. I can enjoy other flavors now, instead of concentrating on everything being sweet.

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Faye stay away from Xylitol.. Type it in the search engine for more info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stevia allergy’ is closed to new replies.