Stevia

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Smukke 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Smukke
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 13

Hi All,

I am currently on week one of stage one – day five at this point. I am currently making a grocery list for the foods I can make for weeks two and three of stage one. I have gone through the recipe section and saw stevia listed as an ingredient in a few.
    I am looking for some advice about stevia. It is sweet, so why is it allowed in this diet? Especially in stage one?

I looked stevia up and found some information I would like to share…

The first bit of information is from the stevia website. If you go to the website it sound like a great alternative to sugar, but it hasn’t been fully tested as the following bit of info shows.

Q) What is Stevia?
    A) Stevia Rebaudiana is an herb in the Chrysanthemum family which grows wild as a small shrub in parts of Paraguay and Brazil. The glycosides in its leaves, including up to 10% Stevioside, account for its incredible sweetness, making it unique among the nearly 300 species of Stevia plants.

“>http://www.stevia.com/Stevia_Article.aspx?Id=2269

The following is only a section of the article…follow the link to read it in full.

But not everyone is enthusiastic about stevia moving into the mainstream. Although it has a long history of use, there are fears that introducing stevia and its extracts in a wide variety of products could lead to potential health problems.

For instance, some studies have suggested it can lead to male reproductive problems, interfere with metabolism and cause genetic mutations.

“There are a lot of risks and none of the big players seem to care,” said Curtis Eckhert, professor in the environmental health sciences and molecular toxicology department at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Dr. Eckhert helped prepare a report last year for the U.S.-based Center for Science in the Public Interest that urged more testing on stevia extracts before it is widely introduced into the population.

“>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/stevia-is-sweet-but-is-it-safe/article1333389/

I would love some other opinions and some reasoning for adding it into the candida diet.

All the best!
    S

Poldi
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Hi,

I’ve been using Stevia in all forms for many years – powdered, liquid, Truvia (the sweetener made from stevia).
    I’m doing the cleanse with the help of a homeopath/nutritionist and the list she gave me states stevia as an acceptable sweetener. She said however, it’s best to use the origninal liquid or powdered stevia.
    I’m also allowed to include fruit in my diet, as long as I consume it with a good protein. I make silken tofu fruit smoothies in the mornings.

Smukke

Thanks for the info. Last I read it was banned in Europe….
    I did however find a honey that is considered OK to have if you have Candidiasis. It’s a honey from Australia and New Zealand called Jellybush and Manuka honey respectfully. There is some contradicting information as to whether or not honey is acceptable. Some say yes and others no. It must be different person to person just like this little yeast. I think when I am on Stage 3 I will introduce this honey…as long as I can find it!

All the Best!! 🙂

bluebowspoodle
    Topics: 4

Bec
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

I grew stevia a few years ago for the novelty of eating it’s leaves.
    If you’re concerned about it, why not grow it and just use the leaves for sweetening foods?
    You eliminate processing and get it in natural concentrations.

Smukke

Thanks!
    I will have to do more research into this sweet plant. I think even in its natural form there are still some questions about it, but everything in small doses right?!?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stevia’ is closed to new replies.