Started cold turkey! Should I backtrack???

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Started cold turkey! Should I backtrack???

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jzucconi
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

First of all, I am SO HAPPY to have found this site!

Here’s the long story, (kind of) short. I began seeing a Functional Medicine doctor back in mid December. Prior, I’d been dealing with a staph infection (from a pedicure) for many months. A mainstream MD had put me on 2 rounds of antibiotics, and wrote me a script for a 3rd. I didn’t take it. By this time had also developed a fungal infection on my underarm and on one of my toes. Soon after, I had my appt with Func Med doctor. Due to my symptoms at the time, she started me on an elimination diet and drew blood for a TON of labs. From there I began the elimination diet cold turkey. No dairy, sugar, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, corn, soy, etc. No transition from regular to elimination at all. Strict, but not even as strict as Candida diet. I was also using essential oils to treat, externally and internally.

Fast forward…my labs recently revealed, among other things, the presence of Candida antibodies. I continued on my diet and very recently have found this site, ordered the books, and been reading like crazy! Unfortunately though, it seems I’ve been doing a lot WRONG according to this program. Had no detox phase; didn’t gradually introduce probiotics and antifungals. I’ve been on the diet now for almost 3 months. I have included other supplements, however, and my topical fungal infections appear to be gone.

Here are my big questions:
    1) Do I go backwards to go through the detox phase then proceed as written?

2) Keep doing what I’m doing and pick up at the “Candida Diet” phase?

3) How would you add in supplements like the Molybdenum detox? Seems very important.

Thanks so much for your advice! I know this is a lot, but hopefully it paints enough of a picture to get the basic story across.

~ Jennifer Zucconi

Yuki
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

I did the same thing as you, hahah. It’s hard not to rush headstrong into it when you finally find your chance at feeling “normal” again. I don’t think backtracking at this point would do you a whole lot of good, but you can always slow your antifungals and try and squeeze in a detox phase if you think you need it.

The fact that your fungal infections cleared up is a pretty positive sign IMO. I thought Molybdenum was to be taken to help with die-off? I take it everyday along with my usual antifungals, probioitics, and other supplements. As far as detox my main sources are “detox tea” that I drink every other day, nettle leaf tea to help my liver, and I also take Epsom salt baths and use clay to detox my skin when possible.

If I were you, I would just add in a few detox elements and pick up at the diet phase. Once you’ve been entirely carb/sugar free for a while, you could try stuff like quinoa or buckwheat. That’s the part I can’t wait for, haha.

Donate here to help me get Mercury-free and solve my systematic candiasis permanently! (Even $1 can greatly help my cause!)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You don’t need to restart the diet or anything but just focus on detoxing.  I also wouldn’t avoid carbs because you need them.  The starving the yeast route is difficult.  You likely are not over this yet and is likely a long term battle.  Just because it may not be visibly present doesn’t mean its not present internally.  An immune system imbalance likely caused this in first place.

-raster

jzucconi
    Participant

Thanks Yuki! Yes, I can be very quick to jump in the deep end, especially with something like this that can bring about healing. Any sacrifice is worth feeling better and resorting quality of life!

Yes, Molybdenum looks to be one to help with die off, but from the book and supplement description looks to also help with heavy metal detox. I showed elevated levels of a couple metals, mercury being one. I have been drinking a detox tea…sometimes just boiled water over chopped ginger, sometimes an “Every Day Detox” tea that contains schisandra berries, chicory root, dandelion, and others.

Thank you for your response! I appreciate your taking time to share.

Best wishes to you!

jzucconi
    Participant

Thank you raster! Yes, I’m sure it will be long-term. I think another challenging part will be discovering my new “normal” once everything is stable. Hopefully it won’t be too hard to discover when I’ve reached that point.

I will definitely focus on the detox element. In your opinion, would the molybdenum be good for that?

I’m not totally avoiding carbs. I’m 5’4, 108# and I’m a carb “burner.” I don’t think I could survive on the paleo/super protein diet. I’ve been including gluten-free carbs at times…quinoa, occasional beans or rice, occasional starchy veg, amaranth. I never eat them alone, always with a protein source, so I hope that’s ok.

I agree with the immune system imbalance. Been taking supplements to help with probable inflammation (high fish oils, turmeric).

Thank you so much for taking time to respond! In addition to my doctor, I look forward to learning more from you and others on this site. Blessings!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Check out my die-off remedies post:

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/die-off-remedies-post-51/

and useful links:

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/useful-links-and-forum-posts-25/

In regards to carbs, most of these include grains and nuts and so some people say not to that.  I think its important to consume them because then your body won’t deplete its own muscle mass, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Started cold turkey! Should I backtrack???’ is closed to new replies.