Starch, grains and anti-nutrients? Raster one more question please.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Starch, grains and anti-nutrients? Raster one more question please.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lolcandida 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paleofan
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 7

Before of all than you raster for your answers. Ok I know rice and potatoes are not allowed but after 1 year in a candida diet some people say that food like potatoes and rice shouldn´t be introduced because have a lot of anti-nutrients and can destroy gut walls. But if I soak them overnight this anti nutrients should be reduced to a minimum and could I eat them everyday? Like for example 4 small potatoes per day with meat, eggs, vegetables and water? It seems a good diet after one year right?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would eat rutabaga as a potato replacement. You can do all of the same things with rutabagas as potatoes, fry it, bake it, whip it, boil it, etc. Rutabaga is highly anti-fungal and has almost the same taste as potatoes.

I cube up rutabaga, boil it, and then pan fry it with some rosemary, salt, thyme, sage, and rosemary and its delicious. Promotes digestion by being high in fiber.

I think rice is much safer than potatoes…potatoes just aren’t safe on the diet.

I eat potatoes though once a week sometimes, and sometimes potato chips. I’ve been doing this since about 1.5 years on the diet.

-raster

lolcandida
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 32

There isn’t any problem with white rice or potatoes. If you are sensitive to nightshades you can simply peel the potatoes and make sure there is no greenish hue in the potato flesh. Or you can opt for sweet potatoes which aren’t nightshades.

To beat candida you need to eat a lot of carbohydrate from a source that you can tolerate. The safest easily accessed sources for most people are potatoes, and white rice. Sweet potato, rutabagas, cassava, tarro, turnips, sunchokes all are probably better choices nutritionally but you can beat candida with potatoes just as well.

Non white rice can be a problem either from the fiber being fermented by the wrong things or anti nutrients that are still present in standard brown rice that’s not properly prepared so stick with white rice initially if you choose rice.

Paleofan
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 7

Thanks Raster and lolcandida. Ok I´ll change my diet and eat rice instead of potatoes but how much is to much? Eating 3 oz of rice per day is to much?

lolcandida
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 32

Paul Jaminet from the “Perfect Health Diet” has done a lot of research on candida and carbohydrates.

The problem with Candida is that it thrives on a low carbohydrate diet because it has mitochondria and can metabolize ketones. Normal beneficial bacteria that keep candida in check require carbohydrate to survive. So if you eat a low carb diet already having a candida problem the candida will likely become much worse.

Based on Paul Jaminet’s research and my own experience most people will need at least 800 calories from carbohydrate per day in order to make the immune system strong enough to beat candida.

Personally I have done best with carbohydrate from potato, sweet potato, and sprouted beans. Initially I tolerated all of these sources the best when I ate them away from any fat source. Currently I can now eat these sources as part of a meal with fat with no problem. I experimented a lot with white rice and I can tolerate it just fine but I have found that my appetite self regulates much better when I eat the above sources as opposed to white rice. Likely because the other sources have more protein and minerals than white rice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Starch, grains and anti-nutrients? Raster one more question please.’ is closed to new replies.