Sprouts – not so good for me?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sprouts – not so good for me?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

Hi Everyone,

A couple of days ago, I started adding a full portion of sprouts each day. However, I’ve noticed both times that they are giving me painful heartburn. I think this affects my absorbtion because I feel hypoglycaemic after and really hungry.

Does anyone else get this? Does it means I’m experiencing die-off (though I don’t get this from swede, coconut oil or probiotics)? Does it mean my leaky gut is saying no? I just don’t know what to think.

I’m also eating 500g of swede per day. Will it matter if I’m not rotating this with the sprouts?

Thanks a lot,
    Len

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I’d like to know if anyone has an answer to this as well! I don’t get it from sprouts, specifically, but I get it anytime I eat a lot of raw salad veggies…lettuce, cukes, that sort of thing. Same with the hypoglycemic-feeling drop after.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

lmm, do you mean sprouts as in brussels sprouts, or as in tiny baby plants eaten raw?

lmm

Thanks, shayfo – It’s the cooked Brussels.

Kag
    Replies: 402

I don’t feel all that hot after eating brussel sprouts either. I just try to eat them in very small quantities.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I get die off from both bressels sproats and rutabaga I eat eitheir one every other day

But its not the same as u describe

alexalgebra

OH! Hahahhahaha.

Well, I still get it from salads, LOL. I haven’t braved brussels sprouts yet…I’m kind of scared of them because I used to hate them so much.

Kag

Hey Alex, I HATE brussel sprouts, used to barf when I tried to eat them as a kid. I have started cutting them up, almost like shredding them a bit and sauteing them lightly in ghee. I can handle them that way so I am working my way up to more than once a week. 😀

alexalgebra

Thanks for the tip, Kag! I was thinking about roasting some – I hear it’s a tastier way.

I had a, em…*traumatic* experience involving a certain soda company’s “Holiday Soda” package one year over Thanksgiving…Jones’ Soda made a Brussels sprouts flavored soda. My dumbass friend Derek, who hates EVERYTHING, was the only one of my friends that would try it. He threw it back like it was water, so me, Mr. Big Balls, didn’t wanna get one-upped and said I’d try some. It smelled like sucralose and rotting cabbage. The second it hit my mouth, I literally started dry heaving to the point where my boyfriend at the time ran and got a bucket for me. I didn’t actually puke (unfortunately, because let’s just say the salmon-flavored soda also didn’t go down to well and I was burping it up for hours after), but I was heaving for a good couple of minutes. I’ve been unable to even think about brussels sprouts ever since, and that was in ’05! Damn you, Jones Soda…

shayfo
    Replies: 668

Not to laugh at your misfortune, Alex, but…that totally made me laugh.

lmm

Very good – I know that dry heaving feeling! I prepare myself, as if sprouts are a putrid cough medicine. That way, I’m pleasantly surprised when they merely taste of bitter nastiness!

I think I’ll try again. Alexalgebra: I have had the feeling before when I tried salad stuff a few months ago. I’m inclined to think it’s the difficulty digesting ruffage at the moment.

Len

Kag

Okay Alex, you just made me snort! So funny…. 😀

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I get heartburn from both die-off (when I had it) and from certain meals (such as something greasy). I wish I could help more. If you get it from other food items, then you may have either too much or too little stomach acid.

-raster

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

Lmao Alex I hear that!

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Hahaha Alex! Sorry, but that soda story is funny…

For those of you hating brussel sprouts, try them roasted in butter or ghee with sea salt, or sauteed with some minced ginger, garlic and butter or ghee. Roasting changes the taste and many who didn’t like them reported that this is the way they actually like eating them. I like them steamed as well so for me they just taste better roasted, but can have them either way. The second method masks the taste, ginger takes care of it. If you are not a fan of cabbage aroma or taste, you could saute on ginger and garlic in butter or ghee and you could barely taste the cabbage flavor this way.

I did get die-off from brussel sprouts as well. At the beginning I didn’t know they were antifungal so few times I had no idea what’s wrong with me, later I realized it was die-off.

@Alex: I also was getting lots of heartburn from salads and realized fiber was killing me as I did not have enough good bacteria to digest it. Try reducing the portions and not to mix and match lots of fiber in one portion. For example, I would mix lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks etc in one salad, all of those being a very high fiber foods. Later I would do lettuce with combination of one or two max of the high fiber foods and this was helping. Good news: as you get better this gets better as well. I even have hiatus hernia but am no longer bothered by a huge bowl of mixed salad for lunch. Oh, and I would have die-off from salad before because I would put cabbage, garlic, ACV, radishes which, I guess, combined give candida a punch (or at least that was my interpretation of it ha-ha).

Arijana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sprouts – not so good for me?’ is closed to new replies.