Spices and Teas

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Spices and Teas

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Faith 7 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #75183

    xday2dazex
    Member
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

    I was just wondering if anybody would have suggestions for spicy toppings. I used to use crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, tabasco sauce, that type of thing, but now I can’t find anything that’s a good substitute.

    Also, are there any decent teas people would recommend? I’ve just been having (lemon) water and nettle leaf tea and it’s getting boring. Thanks.

    #75187

    blakek89
    Member
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

    xday2dazex wrote: I was just wondering if anybody would have suggestions for spicy toppings. I used to use crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, tabasco sauce, that type of thing, but now I can’t find anything that’s a good substitute.

    Also, are there any decent teas people would recommend? I’ve just been having (lemon) water and nettle leaf tea and it’s getting boring. Thanks.

    This isn’t hot but any good indian spices will do wonders to your food like turmeric, curry, coriander ground and seeds, ginger, all spice, 5 spice, cumin, chili spice is usually not hot but spices up a dish.

    #75190

    Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

    Soon you will not notice that the diet is bland..you will start to really taste your food. I now can’t believe that I would drink coffee or soda. I took a sip of coffee the other day. (5 months into diet) It really tasted awful. I don’t miss it one bit. I’m so hooked on my plain hot water, or lemon/lime water that I forget what I was missing. I do treat myself to a glass of coconut milk once a week. You will find that everything has so much more flavor after a while. I too remember wanting something other than water soooo badly but now it is all good. Hoping you get to this point soon as well 🙂 Hang in there…it will get better.

    #75197

    Himawari
    Member
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

    Garlic, salt, and black pepper are my magical spice trifecta. They go great on eggs, chicken, fish… I try to use raw garlic, but am not a fan of all that chopping, so the dried stuff that you get in a shaker is a godsend (plus, it’s easier to take on the road). While it’s not spicy per se, it has a similar zing to it. I also toss in oregano and turmeric for their health benefits and flavor variety.

    If you want “spicy” and have access to an Asian market, you could try wasabi (Japanese horseradish) as a test item. Unfortunately most wasabi that comes in a tube has all kinds of other junk added, so you’ll need to whip up your own. I wonder if Japanese mustard (also very spicy) wouldn’t be okay as well…?

    For teas, doesn’t the “acceptable food list” say “Organic, strong antioxidant teas such as Nettle Leaf or Rose Hip” are okay? Just be sure to avoid the fruit-based teas (i.e. no orange or raspberry teas). I was raised on a water-only style of eating, so a lack of coffee, soda, milk, juice, etc. hasn’t really bothered me, making tea a fun addition. There’s also kefir, which because of the cold weather always turns out more liquid than solid, and can easily be drunk out of a glass.

    #75198

    Faith
    Member
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

    I love spicy food too! I’m going to pickle some jalapenos next! They are on the “okay” list, and I’m just going to use ACV. I did ask if this was okay? Nobody said it wasn’t? I already peeled and sliced up some turnips, and cucumbers, put them in a jar with some sea salt and poured ACV to the top (wait about a day). It’s pretty sour, but still the turnips were awesome! I know the jalapenos will be great too! I love those on my eggs! 🙂

    I just put the turnips or cucumbers in my salad, or just mix it with some avocado! Super yum! I also use my garlic press and press a WHOLE bunch of garlic into my Olive oil. I just leave it on the counter cause I use it often, the oil soon tastes very garlicy and yum! I use it on my salad for dressing. I was using lemon, but hit the wall with that. Maybe down the line I will use it again? For now, just the garlic oil on most stuff. I can also have the fresh raw garlic on my food and it’s not as bad as eating a whole clove! 😉

    Well, I may be wrong with the pickled jalapeno’s, but it will sure make my eggs, and even my salad much better! 🙂

    #75199

    Marbro
    Member
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

    Faith wrote: I love spicy food too! I’m going to pickle some jalapenos next! They are on the “okay” list, and I’m just going to use ACV. I did ask if this was okay? Nobody said it wasn’t? I already peeled and sliced up some turnips, and cucumbers, put them in a jar with some sea salt and poured ACV to the top (wait about a day). It’s pretty sour, but still the turnips were awesome! I know the jalapenos will be great too! I love those on my eggs! 🙂

    I just put the turnips or cucumbers in my salad, or just mix it with some avocado! Super yum! I also use my garlic press and press a WHOLE bunch of garlic into my Olive oil. I just leave it on the counter cause I use it often, the oil soon tastes very garlicy and yum! I use it on my salad for dressing. I was using lemon, but hit the wall with that. Maybe down the line I will use it again? For now, just the garlic oil on most stuff. I can also have the fresh raw garlic on my food and it’s not as bad as eating a whole clove! 😉

    Well, I may be wrong with the pickled jalapeno’s, but it will sure make my eggs, and even my salad much better! 🙂

    Pickled jalapenos sound great! I have cucumbers that have been pickling in ACV for a few weeks now. Cant wait to open them up. I put thai peppers and garlic with them. I believe the ACV is ok if its got the ” mother” in it.

    #75202

    Faith
    Member
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

    Mmmm…yum! I was thinking about garlic cloves too! Thai peppers sounds good! 🙂
    What’s the “mother”? I just have been using the big jug from Sam’s-Heinz. It that okay?

    #75205

    Marbro
    Member
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

    Faith wrote: Mmmm…yum! I was thinking about garlic cloves too! Thai peppers sounds good! 🙂
    What’s the “mother”? I just have been using the big jug from Sam’s-Heinz. It that okay?

    Most commercial brands (whether white or brown) have been pasteurized, filtered, and refined or distilled in order to make the final product look more attractive to please the consumer. The manufacturers are only giving the consumer what they apparently seem to want. Unfortunately, unbeknown to the average consumer, this extra processing actually destroys much of the natural health restorative properties of the end product.

    Look for ACVs that have been cold pressed and made from whole, organically grown apples, with no added chemical preservatives, and in which the ‘mother’ of vinegar liquid has been retained. This ‘mother’ substance, as it is lovingly known, is the gelatinous liqueur that is naturally formed during the final fermentation process.

    This milky, cloudy, and stringy looking stuff at the bottom of the container is what contains the healthiest part of the mixture. It also lets you know that the important vitamins and minerals, enzymes, and naturally occurring good bacteria have not been compromised due to over processing, filtration, or excessive heating. Before consuming, shake the the bottle gently to thoroughly distribute all of the nutrients, pour, and serve.

    Disabled World – Disability News for all the Family: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/apple-cider-vinegar.shtml#ixzz1oPEanNrV

    I use braggs, its cheap and very good stuff. If your ACV does not have the mother, sorry but it really is not good for you at all. Might as well be white vinegar. I would say try and use one with the mother next time. I dont know what Sam’s-Heinze have in it or if its pasturized.

    Here is a link to braggs and a lot of good info on ACV
    http://www.bragg.com/books/acv_excerpt.html

    #75243

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    Hot spicy spices should be avoided as much as possible on the diet because they can feed candida. I personally have had reactions to paprika, cayenne pepper, and even black pepper! So keep it at a minimum if possible.

    I like italian herbs, my favorites to add to buckwheat include:

    -rosemary
    -thyme
    -basil
    -marjoram

    I also like onion and garlic powder, smoked sea salt, and sage.

    Lamb steak spices:

    one side oregano, basil, marjoram
    the other side thyme, rosemary, and sage
    both sides salt and pepper

    -raster

    #75392

    Faith
    Member
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

    But they are on the “okay” list?! I don’t get it? I thought Able said that jalapenos were good for your stomach too? And that cayenne pepper is okay? If these are bad, why are they on the list?

    I’ve been having crushed black pepper on every meal!!!

    #75393

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    That is the website list (on the allowed foods list for spices) but we don’t have any spices on the allowed foods list because I think able thought the website was good enough.

    I think all hot spices should be avoided as much as possible. Black pepper is probably the least problematic out of all of them; I had a bad reaction a few weeks ago to freshly ground black pepper. It might be because it is old (its from a new salt/pepper grinder I got for xmas tho), but I have no problems with the already grinded black pepper for some reason. I react pretty badly to regular hot spices though and if you have them for every day weeks in a row you could grow intolerant to them like I have become.

    Its up for you to decide whats best for your own personal plan, so don’t take my advice as the only advice there is on the subject.

    -raster

    #75410

    Marbro
    Member
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

    I was raised on spicy food and I think it really depends on the person. Test it out and see if you get a reaction.

    I have been eating hot green peppers throughout my diet with no issues. Almost daily. I avoid the ripened ones because of the sugar content. The goal is to not feed the candida.

    #75499

    Faith
    Member
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

    It actually was on the “Able-okay list” (which is now no longer available on this site, so sad)! But that’s the list I’m going by, not the website’s list!

    So, I’m going ahead with the jalapenos, and Kim Chi. Obviously everything in moderation, and looking for die-off and reactions! But I did get the okay, that both these things can help your stomach to get better! Woo Hoo! Just made my Kim Chi, looks and tasted pretty darn good and it’s not even ready yet!

    Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I do appreciate all of it! It’s always better to double, and triple check before you go and mess up! So thanks for all the warnings! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Spices and Teas’ is closed to new replies.