Sodium Bicarbonate

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sodium Bicarbonate

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

I had time waiting for a study confirming the antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate.

It has been known for it since long time but scientific data was almost not available.

This abstract is Feb, 2013.

Antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate against fungal agents causing superficial infections.
    Letscher-Bru V, Obszynski CM, Samsoen M, Sabou M, Waller J, Candolfi E.
    Source
    Laboratoire de Mycologie MĂ©dicale, Institut de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Tropicale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Strasbourg, 3 rue KoeberlĂ©, 67000, Strasbourg, France. [email protected]
    Abstract
    Although sodium bicarbonate-NaHCO(3) (SB) has many domestic and medical, traditional and empirical uses, only little scientific documentation of its activity is available. The aims of this study were to investigate the antifungal activity of SB on the three fungal groups (yeasts, dermatophytes and molds) responsible for human skin and nail infections. We first evaluated the in vitro antifungal activity of SB on 70 fungal strains isolated from skin and nail infections: 40 dermatophytes, 18 yeasts and 12 molds. A concentration of 10 g/L SB inhibited the growth of 80% of all the fungal isolates tested on Sabouraud dextrose agar. The minimal inhibitory concentration 90 (MIC90) of SB measured on Sabouraud dextrose agar, Sabouraud dextrose broth and potato dextrose broth was 5 g/L for the yeasts, 20 g/L for the dermatophytes and 40 g/L for the molds. In a second step, we prospectively evaluated the ex vivo antifungal activity of SB on 24 infected (15 dermatophytes, 7 yeasts and 2 molds) clinical specimens (15 nails and 9 skin scrapings). The fungal growth was completely inhibited for 19 (79%) specimens and reduced for 4 (17%) specimens after 7 days of incubation on Sabouraud dextrose-chloramphenicol agar supplemented with 10 g/L of SB as compared to Sabouraud dextrose-chloramphenicol agar without SB. In conclusion, we documented the antifungal activity of SB on the most common agents of cutaneous fungal infection and onychomycosis, and we specified the effective concentrations for the different groups of pathogenic fungi. The mechanism of action of SB has yet to be explored.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Interesting.

I have seen posts and protocols on other candida websites built around baking soda.
    I have never tried myself……

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi guys,
    I tried to understand the post but get little confused. English is not my native languae and it might have to do with that. What confuses me is this: Antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate against fungal agents causing superficial infections.

I understand from that that sodium bicarbonate is causing infections.????? English speaker please help me here.

then it states:

SB inhibited the growth of 80% of all the fungal isolates tested on Sabouraud dextrose agar.

Here it states that inhibited the growth of 80 percent of fungal activity.

Do I understand it right that Sodium bicarbonate does not heal but inhibits and causing a inflamation? How is the study to be understood?

Excuse please that I ask but I am from Sweden and might overlook here something and need your help understanding the text.

thank you
    Thomas

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

Hi Thomas

This quote:

Antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate against fungal agents causing superficial infections

It is talking about the effect of sodium bicarbonate on fungal infections. It does not say that sodium bicarbonate causes fungal infections.

It then says that in 19 cases fungal growth was stopped and in 4 cases fungal growth was reduced. I believe that in the context of candida, we could (perhaps) assume that BS might stop candida growing, and in some cases reverse the growth of candida. Obviously its a big leap from examining it in nail and skin tissue to making claims about the gut.

In essence, this paper suggests that BS has active antifungal qualities.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

One thanks to you Cheesey!!!

Cheesey;38213 wrote: Hi Thomas

This quote:

Antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate against fungal agents causing superficial infections

It is talking about the effect of sodium bicarbonate on fungal infections. It does not say that sodium bicarbonate causes fungal infections.

It then says that in 19 cases fungal growth was stopped and in 4 cases fungal growth was reduced. I believe that in the context of candida, we could (perhaps) assume that BS might stop candida growing, and in some cases reverse the growth of candida. Obviously its a big leap from examining it in nail and skin tissue to making claims about the gut.

In essence, this paper suggests that BS has active antifungal qualities.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sodium Bicarbonate’ is closed to new replies.