Social Aspects of Candida Diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Social Aspects of Candida Diet

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jo*Jo 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

HappenNow
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

HI!

I was wondering if anyone had any strategies of dealing with the social aspects of being on the candida diet.

I know I’m going to be eating meals out with family and at relatives houses and I’m not sure how to navigate my special diet needs without making it super awkward with people I love that aren’t necessarily into alternative healing.

I love spending time with family but find it extremely awkward talking about my diet, why I’m doing this, and endless what i can and can’t eat down to the minutia.

Help?

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

I eat beforehand as much as possible. At the event, either bring your salad or eat only things they have that are on the diet.

You can give people the “cliff notes” version of your journey. I tell people this version, and if they want to know more, I tell them a little bit more. Keep it simple so you don’t come across as “foggy”, especially since brain fog and confusion are symptoms.

I usually say, “I’ve contracted this yeast allergy…it’s pretty rare, and not too many doctors know about it. The good news is there’s a cure, it’s just a long term restrictive diet and probiotics to fix my immune system…now, how have you been?”

You’ve got to sell yourself and turn the focus on others. This method has saved me unneeded skepticism and long rumbling conversations that only opened up the wounds of my pain.

By coming off as strong and determined to others, you will feel this way at the end of the night, and wake up with a smile on your face the next day. Small steps, small progress.

Hang in there.

HappenNow
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

That’s really amazing advice. Thank you for this. It’s true — the brain fog makes it a million times harder to be straight with people. I’m going to use your line!

How do you deal with figuring out what foods that you can eat when at dinner parties etc… or do you just go for best guess?

titan
    Participant

Another piece of advice, it’s not your job to make people believe in this condition. I paid for this dearly as I pushed people away that didn’t support me, when all you need is your own belief and CONVICTION.

People will be skeptical, and this is the world we live in. Just accept it, be a better person, and one day this will all be behind you.

titan
    Participant

We follow a strict version of the diet here on the forum. Email Able900 if you want a copy.

I’ve learned to bring my own meals or even just eat beforehand. It sucks, but its only temporary.

I’m going to Chicago all next week for Thanksgiving and I’m bringing my Omega Juicer. I’m baking multiple loafs of coconut bread to last the whole week. As soon as I get there, I will go get organic fresh veggies to juice, and eggs for protein. I’ll pan fry one piece of organic chicken using virgin olive oil on thanksgiving day.

I will tell my young nephews I have some stomach issues, and I’m trying a 1 year diet to get better. I will say it with a smile and they won’t think twice.

And this time next year, I will enjoy turkey and wine, and feel stronger than ever. I promise you that.

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

I dont find restaurants too bad because I just go for chicken or fish and I’m used to asking for slightly different veg now than what they have as sides. I get questions from friends and family as to why and i just say the dr has put me on a special diet due to a yeast infection. Usually they hear that and dont want to know anymore.

My problem is that we stay at my fiance’s parents place every few months and the diet makes me feel awkward. They know about the diet, or at least what i said above. And the first time i went there since starting on the diet I explained that i would feel better making my own food and they’re fine about it. But i still feel very awkward and the last time i was there i ate in our room. I’m pretty glad that we’re not having Christmas there!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Social Aspects of Candida Diet’ is closed to new replies.