Small quiche

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AngelaL 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

This is a scaled down version of a recipe I found elsewhere and given a few tweaks. Perfect eaten warm with rutabaga fries, and the rest makes a cold lunch with salad the next.

Pre-heat oven to 350

Pastry
    1 cup almond meal
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tsp of nutritional yeast (you can leave this out)
    1/2 tsp of salt
    pinch of dried oregano

Filling
    3 eggs
    salt/pepper to taste
    1/4 cup of yoghurt/kefir
    a few shredded leaves of fresh basil or thyme
    3 sliced spring onions (don’t use the dark green bits)
    1 sliced tomato
    spinkle of nutritional yeast

Mix the almond meal and coconut oil together with the nutritional yeast. Add a small amount of the egg mixture enough to make a pliable but not too sticky dough. Grease a small pie or casserole dish with coconut oil and press the pastry into it to line it.

Slice the spring onions and tomato and drain on kitchen paper (important or quiche will be too soggy)

Mix the yoghurt or kefir and herbs with the egg mix. Season as liked. Pour into the pastry crust and put the tomatoes/spring onions on top. Bake for about 25 – 30 mins (keep checking to make sure surface of quiche isn’t getting burnt and cover with tinfoil if it is)

This is one of the recipes that transitions really well – I actually prefer this to many quiches I’ve had in the past made with wheat flour. The sweet crumbly almond pastry makes a lovely base for the egg mix.

stephiepb
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

This looks great! I’m allergic to dairy – do you have any idea of what I could use as a replacement for the yoghurt/kefir..?

AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

Hi Stephie

Sorry to take so long to reply – I decided to experiment in using almond milk, but I didn’t like it as much as the yoghurt/kefir version – the egg mixture was too watery and didn’t set well. You could use goats yoghurt – I think that would work fine but if you can’t tolerate that it might be better to just use an extra egg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Small quiche’ is closed to new replies.