slow cooker yoghurt

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas slow cooker yoghurt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marbro 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

I just made yoghurt!

I haven’t been getting on with the probiotics I got my mum to bring from the UK (I live in Kuwait) and finally read the ingredients and realised they have maltodextrin in them. I can’t get any more just yet so I decided I’d just have to eat the best yoghurt I can possibly get – homemade with organic milk (can’t afford to buy imported organic yoghurt, but the cost benefits of making your own are huge – a litre of yoghurt for the cost of a litre of milk).

Here’s what you do.

Warm the milk (half a litre) until not quite boiling (a double boiler is good for this – I just sat a saucepan within a saucepan), then let it cool until it was JUST comfortable to hold a finger in it (if your finger feels a bit burny, the yoghurt starter will feel the same)!

Mix some of the milk with about half a cup of live yoghurt, then whisk in the rest of the milk. It needs to be well mixed.

Meanwhile, half-fill the slow cooker with warm water and turn it on low to get warm.

Pour the milk mixture into a bowl that fits inside the slow cooker, or into several glass jars. Stand them in the warm water and top the water up so that the milk mixture is completely submerged. The water should be about the same temperature as the milk.

Turn the slow cooker OFF and wrap it in a towel to keep the heat in.

Leave it for 6 hours or overnight. If you feel that it’s losing too much heat you can switch the cooker on again for a few minutes halfway through, but it’s not really necessary, and don’t forget to turn it off again – you don’t want to actually cook the yoghurt.

Your jars should now be full of yoghurt. Take them out and chill them to set further. If you want a Greek-style yoghurt, you can then strain the yoghurt through a cheesecloth (I used a piece of muslin folded in two, in a wire colander) until the volume is reduced by half, then whisk lightly. The result is much thicker and smoother than the basic yoghurt.

Happy probiotics!

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Great job! I will have to try this method. My water cooler method has not been consistant.

thanks for sharing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘slow cooker yoghurt’ is closed to new replies.