Slightly skeptical.. Please help me understand?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Slightly skeptical.. Please help me understand?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  NL 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Blakely
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 11

Hey guys I want to preface this conversation by saying this: I am honestly a very open minded person and am very intrigued by the candida diet. I do not have much knowledge on it other than the general idea that the bad microflora in the intestine is overgrowing the good. I am clearly undereducated on this topic.

I woke up one day with awful daily tension headaches and they have been every single day for the past 6 months. After trying 12 medicines and seeing 4 different neurologists, 2 nurse practitioners, a General doctor, a chiropractor, gynecologist, and acupuncturist, I FINALLY just went to see a nutritionist. She claims there is “food in my blood” and I have leaky gut but when I asked to see this slide of my blood she told me I wasn’t allowed to but to trust her… Then she told me to go on the candida diet and kind of dodged my questions.

So, my question is, and I mean this is the LEAST offensive way possible, is is this leaky gut syndrome/ candida diet legitimate? Is there scientific proof documenting its efficacy? I couldn’t find any empirical evidence after doing some extensive research online and in the medical journals at my hospital that even mention leaky gut or systemic candidiasis. And if my head problems were caused by leaky gut, why wouldn’t any of the doctors or neurologists consider running tests on my digestive system? No medical professional has even mentioned that my headaches could be linked to this.. If it was as clear of an issue as some people say why wouldn’t traditional medicine recognize this?

Also, I’m a nurse and currently am studying to become a physician and I have researched the medical journals in our hospital and none of them mention leaky gut. And none of my medical classes, which I’ve taken quite a bit from gastroenterology and pathophysiology, have ever even mentioned this. When I told my professor, who used to be a surgeon, he scoffed and told me this was all not real. I don’t agree with him, I’m just saying no one I’ve encountered in the medical world will acknowledge it that I have encountered.

Also, I find it interesting that one of the risk factors of having candidiasis or leaky gut syndrome is having ever taken an antibiotic… I mean, most people with access to basic healthcare have probably taken a mainstream antibiotic at SOME point in their life. So that makes it more likely for this syndrome to occur to a myriad of people and cover a myriad of random health problems.

Again, I mean no disrespect by this post. I simply am just very curious and have nowhere else to ask these questions. I am extremely willing to explore this as a plausible cause to my health issues and would gladly do this diet as no medicines have helped me at all since June.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Have you taken any acne medication? Birth control?

In general headaches are related to inflammation of the gut. I think there should be studies about that.

If you want diagnosis, check out the candia5 test.

-raster

Blakely
    Participant

Hey raster, thanks for the reply. No I have never been on acne medicine. Nor have I ever taken birth control.

I agree with you that there should be more studies. There is almost no empirical research that backs up these theories as legitimate. I don’t mean that to be condescending it is just a fact. It is a shame because I’m sure there is a link there somewhere. I just don’t understand why, if headaches are so closely related to my gut, why wouldn’t any neurologist or doctor acknowledge this? Also what would the pathology or etiology of my headaches be? Would it be muscular tension or inflammation? And if it were inflammation from leaky gut surely this would be detectable on a simple blood test due to elevated histamine levels and CRP(C-reactive protein) levels?

I also was told that I had leaky gut syndrome, not candidiasis. My leaky gut was supposedly causing inflammation in my facial muscles, hence, the headaches.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

NL
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Hi Blakely,

I see you are from Atlanta – I am originally from the East Coast, where no doctor EVER would have known about Candida, but I moved to the West Coast a few years ago (LA area), and many Western doctors I’ve encountered know what it is, or practice integrative techniques and treat for it. An endocrinologist I go to now has provided me with the Candida detox I’m currently on as I’ve been recently experiencing symptoms. That said, the idea of yeast overgrowth / too much yeast in the body originated in Chinese Medicine.

After years of health problems and piling prescription on top of prescription – started with allergies then lead to endocrine problems and ADHD and every medication in between – when I was 25 I went to a doctor of Chinese medicine who helped restore my health and get me off all of the meds (inhalers, bc pill, aderall, etc), so that my body rebalanced itself. Part of her treatment involved changing my diet and lifestyle consistent with the Candida diet, and giving me yeast-killing herbs (Pau d’arco).

At that time I didn’t question whether or not it was scientific, I figured if Chinese medicine has been working in the east for 6,000 years, I could give it a shot. Worst case scenario my allergies would get worse or I wouldn’t be cured – I took the risk. And like I said, my allergies have since subsided – no more constant medication (in fact, no regular prescriptions anymore). I guess the point I’m making is that the things she was telling me to do made logical sense to me and seemed intuitively healthy, so I did them, and I realized the only way to see if this would work was to experiment on myself. If you’re suffering with nothing to lose and everything to gain, it might be worth the risk of changing your diet and possibly supplementing with some gentle herbs to see if it helps alleviate your symptoms.

Western medicine is still an evolving institution – it has not yet documented and found a cure for every disease or chronic disorder. So when we come up against a wall, and Western Medicine can take us no farther (or, like in my case, is making us progressively worse), we have to decide how to attempt to cure ourselves on our own. To me, other medical practices may hold the answers – especially things that have been used successfully for thousands of years.

I see raster has provided some studies, so Western medicine is investigating it (evolving). Anyway, just thought I’d share my perspective on the matter, having come from a similar background where doctors knew nothing about Candida.

Blakely
    Participant

Thanks raster and NL.

I agree that I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I look forward to starting this diet and seeing how it helps me.

Random question, is avocado permitted on this diet?

matt36
    Participant
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 8

Blakely,

We both shared the issue with daily tension headaches and I’m pleased to finally say I seem to have found the cause. I’ve been taking an anti depressant called citalopram at a dose of 40mg. I then decreased this to 20mg and my headaches improved. I saw the doctor today and I’m now coming off this medication and my headaches are starting to feel better.

In short it was the medication I was given to help me with my mood before i knew it was candida causing the issues.

Doing the diet as written by Lisa Richards was the best thing I’ve done and taking the anti fungals and probiotics has made such a difference to my health. Try it and be dedicated to whats on her list and things will start to turn around.

Thanks

Matt

NL
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Avocados are allowed – there’s no sugar in them 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Slightly skeptical.. Please help me understand?’ is closed to new replies.