Skipped the cleanse – Started with a strict diet and antifungals. Mistake?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Skipped the cleanse – Started with a strict diet and antifungals. Mistake?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  john673432 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

zeldazoo22
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 10

I’ll make this brief since I really need advice and this forum is seeming more and more dead…

I copied an ND’s advice who counseled my aunt, and began with a very strict diet (almost identical to Raster and Able’s list,) with the addition of Olive Leaf Extract with each meal, Pau D’Arco tea twice a day and a probiotic before bead. My Questions Are:

1) Is this ok that I didn’t “cleanse” before this and instead added an anti-fungal and probiotic right away? Now approaching day 8, I was planning on starting to incorporate Coconut bread/some berries, and going from there?

2) With all of the symptoms I have, I’m worried I have a combination of conditions (mold, for one, gastritis, leaky gut) – Should I seek out an ND to find out about my allergies/exposures or an allergist? My symptoms are below if you care to read:

The biggest glaring one is an EXCESSIVE craving for sweets like no other (ice cream in particular). Post-meal bloating with FATIGUE and facial pressure/fullness, inconsistent bowel movements with a long history of very foul smelling, weird stools, skin conditions on my face that have just in the past few months worsened drastically (psoriases, sebhorric dermatitis,), and a 8 year battle with jock itch that is clearly psoriasis or eczema). To top it off, I’m worried about Mold, as I have a constant cough that hasnt gone away in months, and have been known to having a weaker immune system that triggers respiratory infections.

With all of these symptoms, I’m left feeling incredibly overwhelmed and confused as to how to investigate each possible cause of these, and not sure how to tackle all of these at once, since it involves such a wide array of protocols. ANY advice would be incredibly appreciative. Thank you….

Seth

cheyennethomas
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Not a mistake, however, probably not as effective. The main way to kill off the overgrowth is going to be through diet. The supplements and anti-fungals are just a compliment to the new lifestyle. If you have already started the anti-fungals and etc then continue on but I would highly encourage starting the cleanse.

cheyennethomas
    Participant
    Replies: 2

Let me also add that the symptoms of die-off can be very overwhelming, especially since you seem to have had a very bad reaction to the yeast overgrowth in the first place. The sugar cravings will go away. It does take some time. Stay strong!! It will pay off in the long run.

Road2Recovery
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 34

Just wanted to give you some advice since you asked about my 5 years with candida. For me it started with being overworked and stressed, terrible diet, and then the icing on the cake was back to back high dosages of antibiotics. I was in very bad shape, barely had the energy to get out of bed, all sorts of digestive issues, hair thinning and falling out, no libido, dry mouth, dry skin, hands and feet always cold, right hand would shake, lost feeling on the bottoms of my big toes at one point, several other bizarre things.

I did not know what was wrong with me and had been to many doctors and everything came back in range. I could never understand how I could feel the worst in my life and doctors tell me that im perfectly healthy. I did not self diagnose myself with candida until a few months ago, after searching for similar stories to mine. I found way more stories than I thought that were incredibly similar to mine and figured that this was no coincidence.

What got me back to normal was going on a strict paleo diet with no cheating. Nothing. No alcohol, no sugar, carbs under 30 grams a day, no caffeine. It took a little over a year to feel like I was symptom free and back to my old self. I eventually started to cheat on my diet a little bit without consequences. I did this for 2 years but towards the end I started to become sensitive to more and more foods. Last January I ended up getting the flu and it completely messed me up again and I still havent recovered, I made things worse by not following a perfect diet and im still paying the price. I am sensitive to almost anything thats high in sugar and carbs. Cant even eat starchy vegetables. I now get brain fog and depression if I try and venture off this strict diet. Im still trying to dig myself out of this hell hole again.

Good news for you is that I think you caught yours early enough. The itching and intense sweets cravings is something I had not long ago. Keep doing what you are doing right now. Its all about the diet, antifungals will speed the recovery along. You might go to a gastro as well. The stomach bloating and horrible gas could SIBO as well. After I got the flu, it messed my digestive system up bad and I would get the bloating and then feeling like a rock was sitting in my stomach not digesting. Also, had a lot of flatulence that smelled completely awful. I took two weeks of xifaxan from my gastro and it cleared all that up.

You will want to be on this diet for several months if you can manage. Diet gets you feeling better but your immune system is what decides whether you cure candida or not. Its important that you baby your body for several months. Get 8 hours of sleep or more, lower stress, do light exercise if you can. You need a strong immune system to overcome this and something is holding ours back, whether its poor lifestyle or an underlying illness.

A tip for fatigue. Cut out any food that you might think is causing you issues even if its on the candida diet. A lot of my fatigue comes from food sensitivities. If you have chronic inflammation, it wears down your adrenal glands. If your adrenals are worn out, you get fatigue, disturbed sleep schedule, get tired after lunch and then your wired right before bed, feeling exhausted waking up even when you get adequate sleep. Candida can have a nasty snowball effect on different things.

A tip for adding antifungals. Go slow and make sure you are having lots of bowel movements or do at least one enema a day. Im always constipated and didnt bother doing this, die off symptoms can be bad and you need to get the toxins out as quick as possible. Everybody has different die off symptoms at different degrees. Mine was itchy skin and weird feeling in my head like a slight headache.

The hardest part is try not to stress about everything. The body is incredibly resilient. Stay on this diet and your ND’s protocol and I can say you have a very high chance at eliminating all your systems. I was in quite a bit worse shape then you and made a complete recovery without any antifungals at all. Just diet, although it took a lot longer to recover. I listened to my doctors and they basically laughed off the idea of a candida overgrowth. I learned not to put all your trust into conventional doctors, as they can only treat what shows up on blood tests and have no ability whatsoever to think outside the box.

Best of luck to you.

1 user thanked author for this post.

zeldazoo22
    Participant

Just wanted to give you some advice since you asked about my 5 years with candida. For me it started with being overworked and stressed, terrible diet, and then the icing on the cake was back to back high dosages of antibiotics. I was in very bad shape, barely had the energy to get out of bed, all sorts of digestive issues, hair thinning and falling out, no libido, dry mouth, dry skin, hands and feet always cold, right hand would shake, lost feeling on the bottoms of my big toes at one point, several other bizarre things.
    I did not know what was wrong with me and had been to many doctors and everything came back in range. I could never understand how I could feel the worst in my life and doctors tell me that im perfectly healthy. I did not self diagnose myself with candida until a few months ago, after searching for similar stories to mine. I found way more stories than I thought that were incredibly similar to mine and figured that this was no coincidence.
    What got me back to normal was going on a strict paleo diet with no cheating. Nothing. No alcohol, no sugar, carbs under 30 grams a day, no caffeine. It took a little over a year to feel like I was symptom free and back to my old self. I eventually started to cheat on my diet a little bit without consequences. I did this for 2 years but towards the end I started to become sensitive to more and more foods. Last January I ended up getting the flu and it completely messed me up again and I still havent recovered, I made things worse by not following a perfect diet and im still paying the price. I am sensitive to almost anything thats high in sugar and carbs. Cant even eat starchy vegetables. I now get brain fog and depression if I try and venture off this strict diet. Im still trying to dig myself out of this hell hole again.
    Good news for you is that I think you caught yours early enough. The itching and intense sweets cravings is something I had not long ago. Keep doing what you are doing right now. Its all about the diet, antifungals will speed the recovery along. You might go to a gastro as well. The stomach bloating and horrible gas could SIBO as well. After I got the flu, it messed my digestive system up bad and I would get the bloating and then feeling like a rock was sitting in my stomach not digesting. Also, had a lot of flatulence that smelled completely awful. I took two weeks of xifaxan from my gastro and it cleared all that up.
    You will want to be on this diet for several months if you can manage. Diet gets you feeling better but your immune system is what decides whether you cure candida or not. Its important that you baby your body for several months. Get 8 hours of sleep or more, lower stress, do light exercise if you can. You need a strong immune system to overcome this and something is holding ours back, whether its poor lifestyle or an underlying illness.
    A tip for fatigue. Cut out any food that you might think is causing you issues even if its on the candida diet. A lot of my fatigue comes from food sensitivities. If you have chronic inflammation, it wears down your adrenal glands. If your adrenals are worn out, you get fatigue, disturbed sleep schedule, get tired after lunch and then your wired right before bed, feeling exhausted waking up even when you get adequate sleep. Candida can have a nasty snowball effect on different things.
    A tip for adding antifungals. Go slow and make sure you are having lots of bowel movements or do at least one enema a day. Im always constipated and didnt bother doing this, die off symptoms can be bad and you need to get the toxins out as quick as possible. Everybody has different die off symptoms at different degrees. Mine was itchy skin and weird feeling in my head like a slight headache.
    Good luck to you.
    Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your insight! It’s so valuable…I’ve had very similar symptoms that you’ve had for a LONG time… very hard to get out of bed in the morning, wired at night, COLD feet all the time, horrible smelling stools (a lot), crazy brain fog and bloating especially after meals, hair thinning a lot (very wispy and brittle,) and the other symptoms I mentioned. I’m also extremely constipated, and don’t even have the urge to go! I cheated with coffee today and rushed to the bathroom though… and I saw a Castro 2-3 years ago, got a colonoscopy, and the results came back with mild inflammation the the colon “upper illium” and he recommended trying the fodmap diet. I’m starting to get out to see if this nasty psoriasis goes away. Anyways, I appreciate your advice….

Would love to stay in contact to share our progress and any other tips you/we have.

Thanks again sincerely!

zeldazoo22
    Participant

Let me also add that the symptoms of die-off can be very overwhelming, especially since you seem to have had a very bad reaction to the yeast overgrowth in the first place. The sugar cravings will go away. It does take some time. Stay strong!! It will pay off in the long run.

Mine aren’t that bad to be honest besides brief spells of dizziness and headache and consultation. The worsening skin on my face I’m not sure if from the die off or a food allergy…. I am definitely itchy a lot (I’ve had jock itch for 8 years…)

zeldazoo22
    Participant

So, this naturopath prescribed me a supplement that contains 5g of cane sugar, and rice protein extract, as part of his 21 day Stage I Candida cleanse……Its called UltraClear – Renew, along with these supplements: Integrative Therapeutics (IT) Lipotropic Complex, IT Fiber Formula, IT Blue Heron, and Bio-Botanical Research G.I. Detox, and Nystatin 500k units.

The other supplements look great, but it seems absurd to me that I’ll be feeding the Candida with 5g of sugar…how backwards is that….

The rest of his diet also doesn’t allow grains or sugar but does allow berries and quinoa, which I know are iffy.

Anyways, should I bag it or give it a try?!

john673432
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Hello may i have an idea of what you meant with your facial skin?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.