Sick newbie here

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Sick newbie here

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

pomacanthus
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 15

Ps could someone post a link to the idiots guide to DIY keifer? Lol

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

pomacanthus;51901 wrote: Ps could someone post a link to the idiots guide to DIY keifer? Lol

It’s not so difficult.
    You aquire some kefir grains. They don’t sell that in a regular shop, so you’ll have to get it from someone else. (I bought mine on the internet.)
    Buy some milk. Coconut milk is preferred, but I hate the taste, so I use goat milk.
    coconut > goat > cow
    If you buy animal milk, it HAS to be organic. Raw milk is preferred.
    Put some milk together with some grains in a glass at room temperature. Cover the class, but leave some opening for some air.
    Leave it like this for about 24hrs. The longer it stays, the stronger it becomes. After that, remove the grains (now you can start a new batch, etc).
    You have to throw away the first batch, because for some reason it isn’t good. You can drink the second batch.
    If it is very sour, it worked!
    You can keep the kefir in the refrigerator.
    Every month, you have to use animal milk to support the grains.
    After a while the kefir culture grows. So you’ll have to much kefir grains. You can either give it away or eat the grains, of course if you don’t think that is disgusting ;).

Edit: The kefir grains will ferment the milk, so if everything goes well nearly all the lactose will be gone. Maybe that’s good to know.

myword12345
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 55

Cultured veg is cabbage shredded and put in a jar fro a week or 2. You can add other veg to it also. It is hard to stomach but diffidently gets things moving. Keifer I got mine at a health food store, the grains. I started with coconut now doing water keifer. Milk keifer is the next step hard to stomach at first.

pomacanthus

So excuse my ignorance but what happens to the cabbage exactly and how does it taste? Im assuming some form of beneficial bacteria grows on it on? PS Is Kimchi good for Candida? (fermented cabbage)

Will look into the kefir grains I bet Whole Foods has them and I love goats milk my family won’t touch it and thinks its weird so I guess Im lucky in that regard. Ive heard there is not enough sugar in unsweetened coconut so you must use the sweetened version for kefir?

pomacanthus

Progress update:
    Dyflucan day 7? Die off has been fairly brutal very tired and detoxing like crazy. Drinking lots of kale/cranberry/spinach shakes daily and cut out all dairy, red meat, and gluten. Stomach is markedly better (finally) but headaches still intermittent. Hoping my energy comes back because my diet has never been this refined before.

Salmon FYI: I subcontract for the top seafood supplier in my city and have discussed Mercury content at length and in horrid detail because I eat a significant amount of farm raised salmon. Their farm in is Europe and highest quality they have tested their fish and it measures and I quote “thousands of times lower in Mercury than wild caught ” which is a little vague but the owner has assured me I eat the farm raised everyday and not have to worry about Mercury. Point is Mercury content is sometimes overblown by the media, makes a huge difference from farm to farm and the reason the Mercury is lowest possible is because the fish are fed controlled feed (usually from Japan) who have extremely high standards. Now chinese farmed fish are whole different story (fed garbage basically) but thats another post. Lastly the flavor of this farm raised salmon is equal to or better than most of the wild caught Ive had with the exception of Copper River (very seasonal and expensive). Posting this because there is a ton of misinformation regarding this issue and I LOVE my salmon so the short version is:
    Depends on the source

pomacanthus

TheChosenOne
    Quote from my friend Will who is recovered junkie

“Sugar is worse dope than heroin” True That brother Will !

I agree with pp that elimination is easier than control. That was downfall on Candida round 1 and I remember the exact moment I fell.
    It was in SA and a Apple Fritter called out to me lol that was the beginning of the end of my sugar slide. First it was one treat every couple weeks, then 1 per week, then back to 2-3 week, then one treat daily….ugg better for me to just say no. I do get some sugar from fruit in my shakes
    because I can’t stomach a spinach/kale shake with no sweetener whatsoever, I may switch to agave if needed buts that it for me couple small pieces in my shakes to make it palatable, I even force down plain oatmeal now a days.

myword12345
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 55

It ferments ,, it helps to brake down the food, helps with digestion. It gets things moving. You can research there is tons of info on it. People have been doing it for years and years.I follow the body ecology diet made way more since to me. Then started school to be a nautropathy doc. oh ps it taste awful lol but you get used to it. You should only start with a spoon a day and work up to a half a cup. I am not sure about the other thing you where speaking of. I also eat a few berries every morning that seemed to help me.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

TheChosenOne;51902 wrote:

Ps could someone post a link to the idiots guide to DIY keifer? Lol

It’s not so difficult.
    You aquire some kefir grains. They don’t sell that in a regular shop, so you’ll have to get it from someone else. (I bought mine on the internet.)
    Buy some milk. Coconut milk is preferred, but I hate the taste, so I use goat milk.
    coconut > goat > cow
    If you buy animal milk, it HAS to be organic. Raw milk is preferred.
    Put some milk together with some grains in a glass at room temperature. Cover the class, but leave some opening for some air.
    Leave it like this for about 24hrs. The longer it stays, the stronger it becomes. After that, remove the grains (now you can start a new batch, etc).
    You have to throw away the first batch, because for some reason it isn’t good. You can drink the second batch.
    If it is very sour, it worked!
    You can keep the kefir in the refrigerator.
    Every month, you have to use animal milk to support the grains.
    After a while the kefir culture grows. So you’ll have to much kefir grains. You can either give it away or eat the grains, of course if you don’t think that is disgusting ;).

Edit: The kefir grains will ferment the milk, so if everything goes well nearly all the lactose will be gone. Maybe that’s good to know.

Kefir is good when you have eliminated a yeast overgrowth. 24 hours fermented kefir still has almost 50% of its lactose contain. Unfortunately, candida growth factor with lactose is very high. Kefir also has a considerable amount of alcohol and casein. Many people react to the yeast present in Kefir too.

Kefir is a controversial beverage for those suffering a yeast overgrowth. I don’t advice it when the overgrowth is latent.

http:/~dna/kefir-composition.htm

Jorge.

a There is some room for debate regarding energy value of kefir, which is derived not only from the fat content [which is slightly changed and reduced especially during the initial fermentation with kefir grains, with continual reduction if kefir is ripened at room temperature for a given period], but also from protein and the carbohydrate of ready-to-drink kefir. The majority of digestible carbohydrate of kefir is milk-sugar [lactose], of which at 24 hour fermentation followed by 24 hour storage seems to be approximately 3.5%, going by the figures available. This is about 50% reduction of the original lactose content in fresh milk. We need to consider that the figures given in the table above were assessed from kefir prepared with artificially prepared commercial starter-cultures [and not prepared with kefir grains].

This needs clarification, for we also need to consider that kefir prepared with kefir grains, the grains are synthesised from lactose and milk protein by encapsulated organisms. Any portion of lactose synthesized into kefiran, which becomes part of the ever increasing culture, remains unavailable as energy, for the kefir grains are separated from the liquid-kefir before consumption. Remaining with the grains is the kefiran synthesized from a portion of lactose of the original milk. Also, any synthesised kefiran found in liquid-kefir, may have no energy value, for kefiran is not readily digestible. This is because the variety of linkage types of the kefiran molecule accounts for rather poor accessibility of kefiran to enzyme attack. The length of fermentation, and kefir grain-to-milk ratio for preparing kefir, including the growth rate of kefir grains, may play an important role in determining the amount of, and the value of carbohydrate of kefir grain-prepared kefir. More research in the carbohydrate of kefir grain-prepared kefir is needed.

b Although Pyruvic and Hippuric acids are produced during fermentation, neither was detected during storage [kefir stored for 21 days at 4°C].[1]

c Orotic acid and citric acid increase slightly during storage [kefir stored for 21 days at 4°C].[1]

d Lactic acid concentration increases during storage, reaching a maximum of 7739 parts per million [ppm] by day 21 [kefir stored at 4°C].[1] The form of lactic acid found in kefir is almost 100% of the isomer L[+] lactic acid. On the other hand yogurt contains almost equal proportion of both isomers, D[-] lactic acid and L[+] lactic acid through the fermentation of lactose. Research in the former USSR [Russia] concluded that whole milk-kefir is well tolerated and gives adequate weight gain, providing a high content of indispensable fatty acids in blood serum of premature infants.[5] It is therefore logical to conclude that toddlers born at normal gestation should tolerate kefir quite well. D[-] lactic acid can cause Lactic acidosis, in which infants are more susceptible. This is why kefir is quite suitable for infants.

e Initial ethanol alcohol content of fresh kefir can range from about .04 to .5% by volume, and kefir grain-prepared kefir usually contains more ethanol alcohol than commercial starter-prepared kefir. This is probably due to yeast content of both kefir types, where it is common to only include 1 yeast strain in commercial kefir production. Although ethanol concentration increases during storage.[1] Ethanol may reach a maximum of 2% to 3% alcohol by volume, depending on the starter, initial lactose content of the fresh milk, including culture and ripening-conditions and length of fermentation including the amount of kefir-grain culture used to inoculate milk.

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

Not to mention the glutamate and amine content. Theres a whole lot of excess glutamate production and undiagnosed sensitivities in this crowd. I too think its a bad idea, terrible actually, to widely recommend. There are better ways to do the same thing.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

pomacanthus;51909 wrote: Salmon FYI: I subcontract for the top seafood supplier in my city and have discussed Mercury content at length and in horrid detail because I eat a significant amount of farm raised salmon. Their farm in is Europe and highest quality they have tested their fish and it measures and I quote “thousands of times lower in Mercury than wild caught ” which is a little vague but the owner has assured me I eat the farm raised everyday and not have to worry about Mercury. Point is Mercury content is sometimes overblown by the media, makes a huge difference from farm to farm and the reason the Mercury is lowest possible is because the fish are fed controlled feed (usually from Japan) who have extremely high standards. Now chinese farmed fish are whole different story (fed garbage basically) but thats another post. Lastly the flavor of this farm raised salmon is equal to or better than most of the wild caught Ive had with the exception of Copper River (very seasonal and expensive). Posting this because there is a ton of misinformation regarding this issue and I LOVE my salmon so the short version is:
    Depends on the source

I assume that you are referring to aquaculture. These are pretty safe.
    And yes, the mercury poisoning from fish is exaggerated by the media. But a lot of candida patients are suffering from mercury poisoning, the reason why you have to be careful with it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sick newbie here’ is closed to new replies.